Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Visago

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
To stripe or not to stripe...

Been thinking about putting the black rally stripes on my car. My question is are they made out of vinyl? It gets really hot out here in Dallas and this is going to be my daily driver. Just want to make sure they wont get damaged by the heat. Car gets garaged and I will wax the crap out of it but just wondering in the long run whether or not they will start looking bad. Best thing to do would probably be to have them painted on but I imagine that could get pricey.
Visago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
IMO, so many people have added stripes to these cars so leaving it "blank" makes it different.

Other than that, yes they are vinyl and no, you shouldn't have a problem in the heat.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
they'll looks fine, but if you want to take them off after a few years it will be a real PITA. you'll have to get 3m adhesive remover and it will take hours of work to scrub all that glue off. Atleast that has been my experience. also the car will take longer to wax because you'll have to go back with a tooth brush & scrub the wax build up away from the stripe lines. Not sure how you would know your getting the best quality vinal short of buying them from rk sports or from GM. Yeah, lot sof people on ebay claim they use good vinal but who really knows with all the crooks on ebay.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Visago

Thx guys....I'd probably just have the dealer stipe it.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Just a heads up the factory black stripes are satin/flat and if you get wax (carnuba based) on them it's not coming off! lol So just make sure you use the right stuff.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
they'll looks fine, but if you want to take them off after a few years it will be a real PITA. you'll have to get 3m adhesive remover and it will take hours of work to scrub all that glue off. Atleast that has been my experience. also the car will take longer to wax because you'll have to go back with a tooth brush & scrub the wax build up away from the stripe lines. Not sure how you would know your getting the best quality vinal short of buying them from rk sports or from GM. Yeah, lot sof people on ebay claim they use good vinal but who really knows with all the crooks on ebay.
Some that sell on Ebay are the same companies that sell on this forum. I know because I bought from them.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
Big worm graphics is out of the Dallas area go to them and u will have no problems
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Visago

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerisbetter View Post
Big worm graphics is out of the Dallas area go to them and u will have no problems
Oh cool! Thx for the heads up.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Just a thought--check out BigWorm Graphix, a sponsor here on Camaro5. They're in Ft Worth and do an excellent job, with color choices beyond those available from the dealer. Also--just my opinion--but the quality of the vinyl Big Worm uses is better than the GM original. I've seen GM original vinyl crack in less than three years in Texas sun!
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I would say if you don't mind spending the money and plan on keeping the look, get them painted. It looks soooo much better and you don't have to worry about upkeep of the vinyl.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frid View Post
I would say if you don't mind spending the money and plan on keeping the look, get them painted. It looks soooo much better and you don't have to worry about upkeep of the vinyl.
Only drawback with paint other than cost is if you want to change the look of your ride in a couple years its much harder and more costly. I did it on my first 5th gen by taking off the factory Rally stripes after two years and putting on hood spears and the side stripes like I have on this car.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
Visago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
Just a thought--check out BigWorm Graphix, a sponsor here on Camaro5. They're in Ft Worth and do an excellent job, with color choices beyond those available from the dealer. Also--just my opinion--but the quality of the vinyl Big Worm uses is better than the GM original. I've seen GM original vinyl crack in less than three years in Texas sun!
Ya biggerisbetter said that same thing....I was just on their site and they are very affordable. Like that grill blackout too! Gonna go that route I think.

Thx for all the comments guys.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
No problem with heat at all. I live in the desert and it gets over 115 in the summer. Although, I just took my stripes off.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
Visago

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
No problem with heat at all. I live in the desert and it gets over 115 in the summer. Although, I just took my stripes off.
Right on, thx....man that white looks clean! Nice ride!