Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #253
Sandman1969

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Well mine has the strong MAF. K11.

I pulled the #5 and #20 yesterday for a few hours and then took the wife to the movies. It seemed to behave MUCH better. I can still feel the throttle lag, perhaps it is even a little more noticeable now. But it didn't seem to bog down like it was and definitely didn't try to cutoff. Though I didn't do a WOT from standstill, but did punch it at very low speeds a couple times. Wife isn't into WOT very much. haha.

It also will rev up to about 4k when I punch it and release within a split second. I never did this before I put the CAI in but my buddy says his does it as well. Probably related to the drive by wire? It is odd though, because it revs up to a solid 4k and doesn't lurch or anything, almost like the Trans goes to neutral for a split second. It isn't as I don't feel a shift, but the car doesn't speed up during that time.

Need to start going through the document to JRE to get that custom tune laid down. Will be so nice losing AFM. That also seems to be more pronounced with the CAI.

Still surprised how much the CAI affects the exhaust note when you get on it. A pleasant surprise for sure.

2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Sandman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #254
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman1969 View Post
Well mine has the strong MAF. K11.

I pulled the #5 and #20 yesterday for a few hours and then took the wife to the movies. It seemed to behave MUCH better. I can still feel the throttle lag, perhaps it is even a little more noticeable now. But it didn't seem to bog down like it was and definitely didn't try to cutoff. Though I didn't do a WOT from standstill, but did punch it at very low speeds a couple times. Wife isn't into WOT very much. haha.

It also will rev up to about 4k when I punch it and release within a split second. I never did this before I put the CAI in but my buddy says his does it as well. Probably related to the drive by wire? It is odd though, because it revs up to a solid 4k and doesn't lurch or anything, almost like the Trans goes to neutral for a split second. It isn't as I don't feel a shift, but the car doesn't speed up during that time.

Need to start going through the document to JRE to get that custom tune laid down. Will be so nice losing AFM. That also seems to be more pronounced with the CAI.

Still surprised how much the CAI affects the exhaust note when you get on it. A pleasant surprise for sure.

Tuning is HUGE for the automatic trans cars. It will be like a new car by the time Ted is done with it. A ported throttle body and the Vitesse throttle controller will improve throttle response and get rid of that lag.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #255
Sandman1969

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
Tuning is HUGE for the automatic trans cars. It will be like a new car by the time Ted is done with it. A ported throttle body and the Vitesse throttle controller will improve throttle response and get rid of that lag.
With the tune I should need the vitesse correct? Thought the tune will help the response. Won't be able to adjust it to as extreme or mild on the fly but should be able get a happy medium?

Looking forward to the tune for sure

2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Sandman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #256
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman1969 View Post
With the tune I should need the vitesse correct? Thought the tune will help the response. Won't be able to adjust it to as extreme or mild on the fly but should be able get a happy medium?

Looking forward to the tune for sure
There is a delay programmed into the throttle that is not modified my a tune. See what you think after the tune and if its still there that is how you fix it.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #257
Caseyls3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Crap, installed a CAI tonight and found a code "Q" on the MaF... I took it for a spin and everything seemed OK but I noticed a little surge at low RPM. I am hoping it was just me being over sensitive - seems to idle fine. I will beat on it tomorrow to see if I need to swap it out.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Vert - Jewel Red Tintcoat, 6M, 231/247 Comp Cam, Kooks headers, Borla ATAK, ATI under drive pulley, Richmond 4.10s, LS9 clutch, Hurst shifter, BMR Springs
Caseyls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #258
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyls3 View Post
Crap, installed a CAI tonight and found a code "Q" on the MaF... I took it for a spin and everything seemed OK but I noticed a little surge at low RPM. I am hoping it was just me being over sensitive - seems to idle fine. I will beat on it tomorrow to see if I need to swap it out.
Typically a CAI alone is not enough to make a "weak" MAF start acting up. It usually starts once you have a CAI plus a scoop and/or ported throttle body.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #259
Apex Motorsports

I have had 2 PMs and a phone call asking how to unplug the MAF sensor harness today. The secret is......

Old 08-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #260
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
you have to pull the white tab out 1st.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:51 PM   #261
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
you have to pull the white tab out 1st.
This.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #262
KW Baraka

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Quote:
Typically a CAI alone is not enough to make a "weak" MAF start acting up.

It usually starts once you have a CAI plus a scoop and/or ported throttle body.
OK....so suppose you only have a CAI, but you add heads/cam?

KW
KW Baraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #263
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Baraka View Post
OK....so suppose you only have a CAI, but you add heads/cam?

KW
I can't say that I know of a specific case of that happening but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #264
KW Baraka

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Quote:
I can't say that I know of a specific case of that happening but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Thanks!

KW
KW Baraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #265
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Baraka View Post
Thanks!

KW
No problem.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #266
Mike Jazz

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Looks like I have a weak one as well....has a letter P on it.....noticed a difference after the intake install....
Attached Images

Mike Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex, bucking, maf, surging, weak