Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Had an intense commute...

I'm driving to work, in the left hand lane of two/three lanes, on a 55 MPH highway, traffic lights every few blocks.

I'm behind a work van, watching the ladder on the roof. I've worked in insurance, so I know that if something falls off a truck, and you run it over (it lands on the ground) it's your fault. If it bounces, and the collision happens with the object in the air, it's not your fault.

So, I'm doing that commute day dreaming that so many do, thinking about how far back I'd have to be if a 9ft ladder slid off the van, and I was traveling behind it at 55 MPH. Then, when a light turned amber, the van punched the gas, and the ladder fell!!!

It landed RIGHT where I was going, but luckly was slowing down for the light. I juked to the right, about halfway into the next lane (again, I was lucky that nobody was in that lane!). So I finshed changing lanes, and dude who was behind me pior got out and moved the ladder onto the divide.

So yeah, it's NOT paranoid to avoid behing behind work vans/dump trucks/landscaping vechicles, etc.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
crazy dude, glad it worked out haha
Old 05-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I'm driving to work, in the left hand lane of two/three lanes, on a 55 MPH highway, traffic lights every few blocks.

I'm behind a work van, watching the ladder on the roof. I've worked in insurance, so I know that if something falls off a truck, and you run it over (it lands on the ground) it's your fault. If it bounces, and the collision happens with the object in the air, it's not your fault.

So, I'm doing that commute day dreaming that so many do, thinking about how far back I'd have to be if a 9ft ladder slid off the van, and I was traveling behind it at 55 MPH. Then, when a light turned amber, the van punched the gas, and the ladder fell!!!

It landed RIGHT where I was going, but luckly was slowing down for the light. I juked to the right, about halfway into the next lane (again, I was lucky that nobody was in that lane!). So I finshed changing lanes, and dude who was behind me pior got out and moved the ladder onto the divide.

So yeah, it's NOT paranoid to avoid behing behind work vans/dump trucks/landscaping vechicles, etc.
Close call man. Glad you and your car are okay.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Nice save! If an incident is avoidable, your chances of success are much better when you're paying attention and have already planned an escape. Excellent work there. You saw it coming in advance.

I see people camped out next to, and very close behind utility trucks, cargo vans carrying stuff on top, utility and landscape trailers, and 18 wheelers going down the road ALL THE TIME. I stay away from those vehicles (and the nimrods that insist on being in the path of danger) whenever I possibly can.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I've worked in insurance, so I know that if something falls off a truck, and you run it over (it lands on the ground) it's your fault. If it bounces, and the collision happens with the object in the air, it's not your fault.
This is good to know..
Glad you didn't get hit by the ladder, and thanks for sharing the quoted part.
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Wow didn't know it would be your fault.. I will be on the lookout for the rest of my life now haha
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
sanjosebmx

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
the other day I was on the freeway, and a semi had a trailer tire blowout. It was coming off the wheel wobbling around (right next to me) so I sped up fast...

just then traffic slowed in my lane, and the stupid truck started catching me, with that tire practically off the wheel (still going 40-50mph)..

fortunately I stayed ahead of him, the tire did fly off into lanes of traffic, and he did pull over..I don't think anyone hit it, but that would have left a mark!
Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
NJScorpio

Thanks guys!

For clarification on the topic of fault...the idea is, if something is on the road, you should be attentive enough and in control enough to avoid it. If it's flying through the air, well, you can't do much about that.

(FYI, if a deer runs into the road, and you swerve and end up in a ditch, it's your fault. If you just plow right through the deer, your insurance will cover it.)
Old 05-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
I had a close call of my own in my beater last week. I swerved to avoid rear ending a car in front of me, somebody ahead of him stopped short, total reactionary move on my part. Upon swerving, I nearly sideswiped a Honda Odyssey, luckily the driver of the minivan was also paying attention and prevented a nasty smash up.

I apologized profusely at the next light to the minivan driver and I never did figure out who, (the person was), slammed on the brakes, causing the whole mess. Lucky for him I didn't know, as I was upset enough about it to confront someone....

I understand that you have to be ready for bad drivers and leave an appropriate amount of space between vehicles while in traffic to avoid such a situation, but I'm so pissed that bad drivers are the norm these days.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured

Last edited by Frank in MD; 05-19-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
driving on the interstate, a screen door flew from a truck I was following, basically glided ^20ft above & over my car(everything seemed to be in slow motion...weird).
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #11
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
I understand that you have to be ready for bad drivers and leave an appropriate amount of space between vehicles while in traffic, to avoid such a situation, but I'm so pissed that bad drivers are the norm these days.
I saw some of the worst driving I've ever seen when I was in Tennessee recently.

I was exiting an Arby's when I see a woman in a Jeep Liberty pass in front of me. She was leaving a traffic light, heading up hill toward the setting sun. One hand was holding up her cell phone to her ear, while the other was acting like a visor over her eyes. She wasn't using her visor, just her hand. Accellerating up hill from an intersection.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #12
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjosebmx View Post
the other day I was on the freeway, and a semi had a trailer tire blowout. It was coming off the wheel wobbling around (right next to me) so I sped up fast...

just then traffic slowed in my lane, and the stupid truck started catching me, with that tire practically off the wheel (still going 40-50mph)..

fortunately I stayed ahead of him, the tire did fly off into lanes of traffic, and he did pull over..I don't think anyone hit it, but that would have left a mark!
maybe you could have honked and got truck to pull over??? those tires can kill people.

maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #13
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Woman was killed here a couple of weeks ago on the freeway by a wheel that came off a boat trailer. Trailer had expired reg and inspection and driver was cited. He might also be buying nylons and cigarettes for his new cellmate, Bruno.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #14
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
A while back, I saw a ladder in the #4 lane of I-15. I got around it, hit the shoulder, and went back to retrieve it before somebody ran over it and suffered damage. Traffic was approaching, so I was on standby, waiting to bolt out into the highway.

This mouth- breather mini-van driver was so transfixed by the sight of a guy standing on the side of the road that he chose to stare at nothing else. I could SEE the dimwit staring, and I even pointed (with feverish intensity!) at the 25- foot fiberglass extension ladder in his near future. Unfortunately, I was apparently WAAAAAY more interesting to stare at than the highway that was moving towards him at 65 MPH.

BAM! He drove right into the freakin' ladder. Blew a couple of tires out... and of course, destroyed what WAS going to be my new ladder. Idiot.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote