The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 03-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
speeddemonta

Drives: Trans Am
Can the C7 Corvette keep-up with the Camaro??

The Camaro folks at GM sure have stepped-up their game recently. Starting with the 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and now the addition for 2018 model year Chevrolet ZL1 Camaro with the 1LE. I just read a rumor [GM Authority/Car & Driver] that a naturally aspirated 5.5 liter small block V8 will push 700 hp and is supposedly being readied for the next Z/28 with an LT6 designation.

I am surprised that the Chevrolet Division and corporate GM are letting the Camaro in many ways 'out duel ' the Corvette. Am wondering what the folks at Corvette plans are? After all, Corvette is their premium sports car. I have heard rumors of a 2018 Corvette ZR1 and of course a mid engine Corvette.

Has anyone heard plans to add the 10-speed automatic [used in the ZL1] or up the horsepower in the 2018 Corvette GRAND SPORT???

I am interested in everyone's opinions and analysis.
THANKS
speeddemonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:33 AM   #2
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
Opinion. The ZR1 is just months away from a reveal. It will have at least the 700 HP, DOHC, 6.2 liter LT5 V8. So much for alpha-numeric soup, LOL. I'm certain this engine has been powering the prototype GT's bearing the Corvette flags for several years at all the IMSA races. Some history. I first started driving Corvettes in the mid-sixties when Camaros were nip and tuck in the same horsepower race we have today. In the end, the top Corvette dominated the top Camaro mainly because of its aerodynamic and weight advantages.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
I'm pretty sure the C7.Rs have been using a 5.5 Cu In engine for the past several years.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #4
REVVIC

That's a good guess. Whatever class, GT LeMans,GT Daytona or Prototype, we're watching our future rides! Technology transfer to the street.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
speeddemonta

Drives: Trans Am
Trying to compare the different models of the 2017 Corvette and 2017 Camaro is not black and white for me. However, I view the Corvette Grand Sport in competition with the ZL1 Camaro. I realize a lot of people will compare the Corvette ZO6 to the ZL1 Camaro because they have the same engine. However, the price of the faster and better handling ZO6 is CONSIDERABLY more.

When evaluating performance, the ZL1 is faster in a straight line - 0-60 mph, 1/4 mile and top speed. However, the Grand Sport [even without the ZO7 package] does corner better than a ZL1. When evaluating price the Grand Sport 2LT [without the ZO7 package] is approximately $7,600 more than the ZL1.

So I ask, is the Grand Sport worth the price difference??? Did Chevrolet hurt the sales of the Grand Sport with the capable ZL1??

Thanks everyone for your responses - I am enjoying them. Please keep them coming.
speeddemonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:23 AM   #6
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
The Camaro and Corvette have totally different chassis and it makes them different cars. With the difference in cost you get different styling, handling, weight, etc. The other issue is supercharging comes with a price and benefit that's hard to compare. It really depends what you want. I like both. They have pros and cons and are designed for two different purposes. Most of us just drive them around and don't use them for what they were designed.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:18 AM   #7
REVVIC

Just watched an interview including Corvette Production Manger, Harlan Charles, who now also oversees Camaro production. The LT5 DOHC V8 was brought up. It is the engine that powered the prototype Corvettes that dominated the 2016 race season in that class. His inference, it's a success and will be in a GM car. My guess, the ZR1 Corvette for starters.