Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Photos | Videos | Renderings

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-22-2015, 05:47 AM   #43
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosoar View Post
The biggest complaint I heard was up early in the review, it's still feels heavy and results in understeer. I still want one; would prefer a 1LE version. Brakes can easily be upgraded. Understeer may not be depending on what is causing it...like too much weight up front. Just adding throttle oversteer is for journalists, not racers. I hope Chevy continues to tweak this gem of a car. Catch up Mustang!

Oh, one more thing, why MUST it have a manual? All that work of driving a manual gets you a slower car? Tell me, why not the high-torque 8-speed auto? Just had to poke that sensitive subject!
I wonder on why his review (bad seats, handling issues, brake issue, not favour the automatic transmission ) is very different compared to all others that have been great reviews.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #44
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
I wonder on why his review (bad seats, handling issues, brake issue, not favour the automatic transmission ) is very different compared to all others that have been great reviews.
GM must not had paid him enough.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #45
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
It would have been better to see this guy try to lay some fast laps down instead of it being a drifting display. Would like to see some real numbers instead of what I saw here.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #46
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Because he was only looking at it from a pure track perspective
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #47
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Fun video to watch. The drifting is ok to watch but not much of an indication of how well the car does around the track. Based on the video, it is hard to take this guy seriously since he is basically just goofing around the whole time.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #48
LilAndyG23

Drives: 1989 Chevrolet C1500
Idkif age has anything to do with it... I think a purist will tell you a manual is the only way, I'm only 25 but have always felt like a v8 and a manual is the only way. It's just boring and the experience is bland with an automatic, despite being fractions of a second "faster."

As for the under steer , I believe I read somewhere the weight distribution was 54/46 which means yes it will push a little at higher speeds, but that's normal for most front engine sports cars. I'm sure it will be addressed with future track packages or z cars. But it doesn't sound like it's too bad either, just as others have said, this guy seems to be used to light performance cars so this was a step back for him.
My biggest gripe is also about the seats. Wish recaroa were optional. It would be the only option I would feel like I had get if it were available. Maybe they will be in the future. 5th gens didn't get them till 2014
LilAndyG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #49
Noob

Drives: AUDI 80
Quote:
Beg to differ. He said it twice. Also, he did not say no slow speed understeer, he said slow speed oversteer is easy. And yes, race drivers usually prefer a car that is either slightly balanced for oversteer for natural rotation in the turns, or neutral. That's often a preference issue over driving style, and what type of car one is driving. At any rate, most street cars have understeer dialed in for saftey. I just would like to know why this Camaro understeers.

Bugs me when journalists say to compensate understeer just use the throttle. This is not a solution. It may or may not make the fronts grip a bit better. I would if you were already under power and were pulling the fronts up...wheel slippage (wheel spin or drift) would settle the car on the fronts, but this would not make it any faster. One needs to tune that understeer out with suspension adjustments, tire set up, or weight balance on the chassis.
That "understeer" reminds me at the poor guy in a youtube video who crashes one of the first mules, it understeers.
I noticed in the comparison between the SS and GT that the GT has wider front tires as well as bigger front brake rotors.....if this would help the SS too ?
PS: the only thing i really miss in a 1SS is that nice HUD.
Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #50
69RSSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS/RS
Remember that thread a while back that was all about not being able to drift in the new camaro? Guess this puts that to rest.
69RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #51
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
The biggest complaint I heard was up early in the review, it's still feels heavy and results in understeer. I still want one; would prefer a 1LE version. Brakes can easily be upgraded. Understeer may not be depending on what is causing it...like too much weight up front. Just adding throttle oversteer is for journalists, not racers. I hope Chevy continues to tweak this gem of a car. Catch up Mustang!

Oh, one more thing, why MUST it have a manual? All that work of driving a manual gets you a slower car? Tell me, why not the high-torque 8-speed auto? Just had to poke that sensitive subject!
I have an auto in my 2013 and love it, BUT if I was taking it to the track, a manual IS the way to go.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #52
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
That "understeer" reminds me at the poor guy in a youtube video who crashes one of the first mules, it understeers.
I noticed in the comparison between the SS and GT that the GT has wider front tires as well as bigger front brake rotors.....if this would help the SS too ?
PS: the only thing i really miss in a 1SS is that nice HUD.
I think you might be right the new Camaro SS came with very narrow front wheels 19x8.5 which will not allow you to upgrade to wider tires to reduce the understeer. I don't have any idea why GM went that way. :ion:
Per tire rack information the widest that you can go with that wheel safely is a 255" and that is not wide enough. For example my car came stock with 255's and I hated their narrow looks and the handling feeling, I was able to upgrade them to a 275 square set up but just because I have 19x9 stock wheels, it looked much better and I could notice much better handling with non understeer feeling.

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 10-24-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #53
DevonK

Drives: TBD
Fatter front tires do have a disadvantage or two - they numb down the feedback coming through the wheel and can also lower steering responsiveness.

As to understeer, I will wait to see what Pobst has to say about that. He was right on the money with his comparative analysis of the FR-S and BRZ.

Last edited by DevonK; 10-24-2015 at 09:49 PM.
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #54
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonK View Post
Fatter front tires do have a disadvantage or two - they numb down the feedback coming through the wheel and can also lower steering responsiveness.

As to understeer, I will wait to see what Pobst has to say about that. He was right on teh money with his comparative analysis of the FR-S and BRZ.
Remember the last generation Pontiac Bonneville? The SSE had a Northstar V8, and with front wheel drive they actually put larger tires in front than in back.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #55
Dutchman427

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1329 M6
Interior is much nicer in the 5th gen then the 6th gen in my opinion. Also, GM has a lot to live up to with when they come out with the 6th gen ZL1 or whatever nameplate they give it.
2012 Camaro ZL1 #1329 M6 Summit White
Built by Mike @ Rapid Motorsports
784rwhp 757 rwtq on 93 Octane ET - 10.97 @ 128
Heads-Blower-Snout-TB ported & prepared by Jeremy Formato of FasterProms
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395950

Rapid Motorsports 396ci Build
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...1#post10321301
10.832 @ 130.99
Dutchman427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:12 AM   #56
DevonK

Drives: TBD
^ Can't tell if serious. The interior of the 5th gen is abysmal, acres of hard dull plastic, so cheap looking it makes a $17k Hyundai look like a luxury vehicle by comparison.
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote