The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 06-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
gojurick

Drives: '14 Stingray "Sasha"
CARB compliant tuners

I was looking at the Diablo on Amazon but it shows as not shipping to Ca. due to not being CARB compliant (god I hate this state sometimes and I work at EPA). Are there any CARB compliant tuners or is that just an oxymoron? I haven't found anything yet. Of course I'd love to just do what most do and get it anyway and give the big middle finger to ARB. Thanks fellow C7 lovers.
gojurick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Drives: 2017 GS 3LT Sterling Blue/Gray Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojurick View Post
I was looking at the Diablo on Amazon but it shows as not shipping to Ca. due to not being CARB compliant (god I hate this state sometimes and I work at EPA). Are there any CARB compliant tuners or is that just an oxymoron? I haven't found anything yet. Of course I'd love to just do what most do and get it anyway and give the big middle finger to ARB. Thanks fellow C7 lovers.
I would assume any tune or tuner that alters the factory tune is not CARB compliant. It's not just California there are a few other states this applies to.
BRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
It usually takes a while before aftermarket parts are certified for CARB-compliance, even if the item is available for street use elsewhere. I assume this delay is for the testing and certification process (i.e. bureaucratic red tape and greenback passing). I suspect a CARB-compliant version will show up relatively soon.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Drives: 2017 GS 3LT Sterling Blue/Gray Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
It usually takes a while before aftermarket parts are certified for CARB-compliance, even if the item is available for street use elsewhere. I assume this delay is for the testing and certification process (i.e. bureaucratic red tape and greenback passing). I suspect a CARB-compliant version will show up relatively soon.
California Air Research Board usually only allows factory specs, in the past they have altered some specs but I think now days they will only allow the factory approved specs for the state. Good luck in getting them to change.
BRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
gojurick

Drives: '14 Stingray "Sasha"
Thanks, I figured there wouldn't be much available here. A bunch of enviro-nazis. There are ways around the process, I will just use one of those.
gojurick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
Hello, Camaro guy sneaking around in here. I believe with a little patience you will see a tune available that is not CARB legal but will pass a smog check. What I mean is a tune that "looks stock." Trifecta was able to do this for the Camaros, if I take my car to the dealership and the it looks stock, only after you really dig in there will you see any changes. Another option would be flashing your car back to stock before the smog check. Flashing tunes is pretty easy these days. It's getting CARB legal headers that will be the challenge. I have heard that it can take YEARS after they make the part to get it CARB approved because the state is so backed up with them. If I were you I would just go for it. You guys have 6-7 years before your first smog. Take advantage of them. Hope this helped!
Old 10-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojurick View Post
If you are worried about any kind of emissions testing, you can always just flash our tune back to stock. We give you your stock file as well as our performance tunes that we build for you. The reasoning behind this is in case you need to take your car in for service or any type of inspection you can just simply take your handheld Mycal tuner and flash the stock file back onto the car and do what you have to do. When your car is ready for the streets again you just hook your tuner back up and load the performance tune you want and pound the pavement!
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote