#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 10-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Lightbulb Going boost, PD vs Centrifugal

Hey guys i have a dilema, so in florida 400HP really doesnt cut it and im ready to go to the next level. But i really dont know what to go with, i know both kits are good bt for some reason all the boosted 1LE run PD kits while MOST of the regular SS run centrifugal kits.

Is it since 1LE is a track car the centrifugal unbalances the car too much since it’s mounted in front of the axle?

But with the PD you have way more higher IAT which would also hurt the 1LE on a track day (loosing power after a couple of laps)

On the other side PD provide low power and gets “tired” at the high rpm range... while centrifugal produces all the way till the top.... but doesnt provide as much tq as a PD kit.
The Mayority of my racing (in a straight line) is roll racing so wouldn’t it be better having the power all the way till redline since all you use mid to high rpm range...

I do all type of racing... roll (the most) drag strips(at least once amonth),
Auto X and road course when ever i have the time too

I dont want to build a car for the strips so i dont want to sacrifice the handling part.

Here is summary of what i want

Power?
I want a 600-650rwhp car while maintaining reliability (its my daily driver)
To do what?
60-70% roll racing BUT being able to be very competitive on a road course, dont care much about dig racing but will do it occasionally... same as auto X

So the question is
What would you guys use and why?
Also what setup would you recommend

Thanks in advance! I know, it was long!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Honestly, I would look into getting a ZL1.

I understand that would be cost prohibitive, in the short run. But is the long run you would be better off.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post

I understand that would be cost prohibitive, in the short run. But is the long run you would be better off.
Honestly i wish i could... but dealers wanna kill me on the trade in, since the 1LE is a “1SS” just bought this car 3 months ago... and lost alot of money on my trade in on that trade in even though i was still positive not really looking foward to this on this one since in thise case i would be upside down
Old 10-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Gville1LE

Drives: 2006 Lexus IS350
https://www.powernationtv.com/episod...new-lt1-camaro
Gville1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
Walt88

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
You can't go wrong either way, but the one thing I've noticed about the PD blowers is their propensity to blow the tires off without trying. It can be fun, but I personally prefer centrifugal blowers since they come alive after 3-4k rpm, which will help you keep control/put it to the ground
Walt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:26 AM   #6
lpe403

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post

Totally agree - I don't care what anyone says about slapping a blower on an LT1 and how great it is - ask any motor builder if they would build a supercharged motor with a high compression setup using non-forged pistons. No motor builder that I'd trust. Duh.

Do the flex-fuel deal with a good tune and you should have a 500hp car.

Otherwise, just buy a ZL1 - otherwise you are turning a cool car into a money pit you will eventually hate.
lpe403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:18 AM   #7
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Go with Vengeance racing drop in forged pistons for the LT1 and my preference would be the PD blower. I've had both now and prefer the PD, really like the instant torque. If you're doing allot of roll racing you might be better off with the centrifugal.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:37 AM   #8
Swagger
DaWolfOfAllStreets

Drives: 17 C Coupe, 17 1LE, 16 Scion iA
I love the elitist ideal many 1LE owners have like it can't be modded... I swear I'm on a Porsche 911 forum and someone did a RWB body and LS swap. Their minds just blow LOL. Anyway to answer your question my answer is you need to determine how you want the power.

1. PD blowers are well known for their tq along with low-end and mid-range power. In my opinion thats useable for rolls, drags and even a road course though not ideal in my view for road course use on short tighter circuits. Its got great punch in that low to mid range area for sure. Many enjoy the sound from them as well. Its also the OEM solution for many brands and proven technology.

2. Centri will have serious mid range and top end power in comparison. I prefer that for rolls, road courses and the occasional drag race. These have amazing midrange and top end power. They also have some cool sounds as well. They mimic the cars power band and accentuate it in my opinion. I find them to be great fun for any type of driving. I am slightly biased LOL

Bottom line is either one works, the question is how you wish to wield your power. I suggest getting rides in both cars to get a feel for what suites you best. In terms of power I think everyone here will agree that with either kit you want a safety net as the factory pistons wont take tons of boost. I would suggest doing Meth via a trunk mounted tank. I prefer that versus using my window washer tank. Keep it in the upper 5XX to low 6xxwhp range. It will live and be fine

I believe this comes down to money and how much you want to invest. $10k will net you a solid blower combo, meth, headers and tune. Perhaps with some change left over depending on which blower, labor charge and so on.
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:03 PM   #9
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
GM High Tech Performance did an article a few years ago where they took a car with a centrifugal blower and picked up a bunch of power by swapping out to a bigger blower. The bigger blower built boost earlier and hit max boost at 4500/5000 range, and then controlled boost up to red line with a wastegate.

They picked up a ton of power under the curve, making the power like a turbo or PD blower. Tons of torque.

This is for a street car that spends 95% of it's time under 5000 rpm where you won't be using the wastegate much at all, not a drag car that spends it's time making power above 5000 where this system would be a waste.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #10
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
I have not used either but Vengence seems to use procharger quite often...ask Ron. He will get you what you Want...
Old 10-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #11
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
I love the elitist ideal many 1LE owners have like it can't be modded... I swear I'm on a Porsche 911 forum and someone did a RWB body and LS swap. Their minds just blow LOL. Anyway to answer your question my answer is you need to determine how you want the power.

1. PD blowers are well known for their tq along with low-end and mid-range power. In my opinion thats useable for rolls, drags and even a road course though not ideal in my view for road course use on short tighter circuits. Its got great punch in that low to mid range area for sure. Many enjoy the sound from them as well. Its also the OEM solution for many brands and proven technology.
LOl, I totally understand what you say about the Porsche however, you must admit that sometimes some builds just really don't make sense.

on your point about the PD.... my main concern is heat when doing roadcourse... weight distribution is not that bad since the added weight is still behind the front axle (I do track)

Quote:
2. Centri will have serious mid range and top end power in comparison. I prefer that for rolls, road courses and the occasional drag race. These have amazing midrange and top end power. They also have some cool sounds as well. They mimic the cars power band and accentuate it in my opinion. I find them to be great fun for any type of driving. I am slightly biased LOL

Bottom line is either one works, the question is how you wish to wield your power. I suggest getting rides in both cars to get a feel for what suites you best. In terms of power I think everyone here will agree that with either kit you want a safety net as the factory pistons wont take tons of boost. I would suggest doing Meth via a trunk mounted tank. I prefer that versus using my window washer tank. Keep it in the upper 5XX to low 6xxwhp range. It will live and be fine
My main concern about the centri as I mentioned before is the weight all the way in the front of the car... that can REALLY upset the way the car feels or I would think (I never ridding in a procharged car or even less a procharged 1LE)

600-650 is my target. (pump + meth or just E85 I don't mind either)
I guess I need to see/find one if I'm lucky and try to get a ride....

Quote:
I believe this comes down to money and how much you want to invest. $10k will net you a solid blower combo, meth, headers and tune. Perhaps with some change left over depending on which blower, labor charge and so on.
10K is exactly my budget.... but only show that I have inquiered about.. quoted me 14K from my choice of kit either procharger with Dstg2 IC, headers and pump + alky meth... or a Maggie with headers and pump+meth
Old 10-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #12
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsinternet1le View Post
I have not used either but Vengence seems to use procharger quite often...ask Ron. He will get you what you Want...
I mean that could go either way.... I could be since its the cheap option... customer prefer that.... or since its a lot easier to install, shops might recommend that too.

I'm just trying to get a feel of people with more experience than me, on
PD power curve while having the weight in the middle vs Centri power band and having the weight all the way in the front.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #13
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
I mean that could go either way.... I could be since its the cheap option... customer prefer that.... or since its a lot easier to install, shops might recommend that too.

I'm just trying to get a feel of people with more experience than me, on
PD power curve while having the weight in the middle vs Centri power band and having the weight all the way in the front.
Ask Ron at Vengence what he thinks..sees both...1100hp zl1 .. i don't think this was the cheap way to go...
Attached Images

Last edited by pbsinternet1le; 10-10-2017 at 12:00 PM.
pbsinternet1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #14
bucknut2006

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10, 2015 C7 Z51
Don't sell the low end on the centi short. With a good cam, they can make enough torque to rival a PD and they keep building power to redline. The biggest issue I have is that pedal modulation is more tricky than the PD cars I've driven. Both my CTS-V and ZL1 would build boost under part throttle, but the centi is more of an on/off switch.