Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 05-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #15
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
Just had a whole system upgrade w audio frogg speakers and sub and jl amp and the end result was the system sounded louder but. Worse and they agreed so I hd them keep everything back to stock so I hope you get what you want mine didn't go well
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #16
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
Did you ever post details of your full setup? In that other thread your shop sounded dubious and it was never clear how they tapped into the factory system.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #17
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
Did you ever post details of your full setup? In that other thread your shop sounded dubious and it was never clear how they tapped into the factory system.
Upon mixing it just sounded horrible apparently they do high end cars it just wasn't worth it I think a sub would be ok I went back to stock though
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #18
cheap

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
That's two reports I've heard now of folks replacing their stock speakers with poor results (the other was on the FB 1LE page). Must be a pretty underpowered stock system!
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #19
Tomahawg

Drives: 2017 White SS 1LE
Has anyone tried a really good set of speakers like the Focal ES165KX2's ?
Tomahawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #20
Smashn808

Drives: SS
Has anyone successfully just added a sub while retaining the stock system? I just want to add a single 10" punch sub with a small amp for a bit of extra bass. Does the 1le have ANC? Or is ANC only on non-1le cars that have stock amps?

Past:
2009 Cadillac CTS-V, 6-speed manual
2008 Corvette Jet Steam Blue, manual
2005 Cadillac CTS-V, Stealth Gray
2003 Corvette Z06, Black
Smashn808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #21
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashn808 View Post
Has anyone successfully just added a sub while retaining the stock system? I just want to add a single 10" punch sub with a small amp for a bit of extra bass. Does the 1le have ANC? Or is ANC only on non-1le cars that have stock amps?
Yes, just get an amp that accepts high level input and signal sensing and tap into rear speaker. Works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
JL 12W3v3
JBL Gtx500
Groundshaker Ported Box

1LE doesn't have an amp, JBL amp accepts high level input as well as signal sensing, so I have it wired to the rear passenger speaker
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #22
Smashn808

Drives: SS
Quote:
Yes, just get an amp that accepts high level input and signal sensing and tap into rear speaker. Works great.
Thanks man. Nice setup.

Past:
2009 Cadillac CTS-V, 6-speed manual
2008 Corvette Jet Steam Blue, manual
2005 Cadillac CTS-V, Stealth Gray
2003 Corvette Z06, Black
Smashn808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #23
cheap

My install is done and it sounds great!

It took a lot longer than expected due to some unanticipated complications. For one, my taps into wires in the fuse box weren't great and the connections were not solid until I redid those. Second, I realized the rear speakers don't play any bass notes and decided against tapping into them for my signal input, so I undid that and had to rewire up to the front passenger speaker wires after figuring out which wires they were (yellow and yellow/black for reference, bottom corner pins on the door harness connector). The factory system is WEIRD... neither wire to the factory speaker would ohm out to ground, and BOTH wires were showing ~6v when the system was on (at the connector, disconnected from the speaker). I tapped them anyways and it works though.

I could also never figure out how to remove the rear lower seat cushion and wasted a lot of time looking for a release lever under the front edge and I wired a remote sub control up into the center console, which added an afternoon or two to the project.

Luckily I got it all wrapped up before I pick up my son for the summer so I'll be able to put the car seat back in to a completed interior!
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #24
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
^ speaker input is an AC voltage btw but glad you got it working.

What amp are you using? I'm a little surprised about what you said about the rear speakers as me and a few other people have tied to the rear speakers without any issues.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #25
Yendor

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue
How do you like the SSA ICON subs? I have a 12" DCON and that sucker hits.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:47 AM   #26
cheap

Quote:
^ speaker input is an AC voltage btw but glad you got it working.

What amp are you using? I'm a little surprised about what you said about the rear speakers as me and a few other people have tied to the rear speakers without any issues.
Well that would explain the dual voltage readings I was picking up, thanks. I've got a Synergy Audio WFO 15.1D running at 1ohm. I swapped my speaker level inputs before actually trying the rears, but before the system was up and running I set the fade to full rear and wasn't hearing ANY bass notes so I proactively swapped them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
How do you like the SSA ICON subs? I have a 12" DCON and that sucker hits.
So far so good! I think I've got just a little bit of tuning to do yet. These are the biggest subs I've ever owned @38lbs... each. #torn #powertoweightproblems
Old 06-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #27
MrAl

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE HBM
I really need the space in my trunk on occasion , so how about installing two 6x9 "subwoofers" on the back shelf, and a small amp?

Worthwhile or a waste time and money ?

The Cobalt SS Turbo I have has a really nice Pioneer system with a powered sub and it sounds really nice for a factory setup. The Camaro really needs some bass.

Mr Al
MrAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #28
MySS8U

Drives: Black 1SS 1LE
Hi guys, I recently upgraded my Camaro 16 1SS to the 17 1SS 1LE. I had a sub and amp installed in my 1SS 16 while maintaining my stock system. After having it done I had a weird sound coming from the sub while driving my car and later found out the stock system uses the bass to make the exhaust sound louder. However the 1LE looks different so the cord I unpluged isn't there in the 1LE. I tried to explain what happen last time to the installer and he didn't believe me. Is there a diagram or some purple dinosaur barney style instructions to show them. Thanks for your help.
MySS8U is offline   Reply With Quote