#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
To Sunroof or Not To Sunroof???

Current bucket has a panoramic sunroof, on nice days I like opening it up, especially in the morning.

However, initial inclination is to not get a sunroof on the ZL, not a fan for how it retracts up and outside the car.

Those of you with sunroofs, is there any additional wind noise? I'm following that being 5'11" (as I am) I can't wear a helmet because the cabin roof is lower but I don't plan on tracking the car.

Thoughts, pithy comments, welcome, thanks.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
mr965

Drives: ///M3
A sunroof would likely make it less claustrophobic if you're not used to the Camaro interior.
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Sunroof is a must-have for me in any vehicle. As far as helmets, eh, I'll figure that out when I get to that bridge. Wind noise, never been an issue for me before in any other car so I don't see it being an issue now. In any case, just having it for those nice Summer nights makes it worthwhile. I plan to go to the track. But sometimes I go a year without making. I don't go a year without using my sunroof. So for me, driving enjoyment trumped track stuff.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr965 View Post
A sunroof would likely make it less claustrophobic if you're not used to the Camaro interior.
Not claustrophobic, actually like the feel of being in a cabin. Test drove a coupe (no sunroof), liked it, but don't know if wind noise is a "thing" with a sunroof.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Sunroof is a must-have for me in any vehicle. As far as helmets, eh, I'll figure that out when I get to that bridge. Wind noise, never been an issue for me before in any other car so I don't see it being an issue now. In any case, just having it for those nice Summer nights makes it worthwhile. I plan to go to the track. But sometimes I go a year without making. I don't go a year without using my sunroof. So for me, driving enjoyment trumped track stuff.
Thanks for the feedback, good point about usage.

Is there a manual visor (slides to cover the glass)?
Old 05-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
zl1_tommy

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I have the moonroof. I think I have opened it 3 times in 6 months.

I am also a pale AF and my skin practically lights on fire when the sun hits it.
zl1_tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1_tommy View Post
I have the moonroof. I think I have opened it 3 times in 6 months.

I am also a pale AF and my skin practically lights on fire when the sun hits it.
Living in Houston doesn't help with that... The humidity there would keep me from opening as well.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Sunroof, I have one and would pay someone to take it if I could. I have never liked them. My eyes are too sensitive to light, my whole life that way. But, if I ever would use it, it would be at night in a cool autumn breeze. Plus, no wind noise that I can tell. The motor makes all the sound I need. I hardly use the radio.

I am 6' 1" and as for being claustrophobic, I am a bit, but I actually prefer the "cockpit" snug feeling over the GT350. It feels more secure and stable. Plenty of head room. Just put the seat all the way down.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic

Last edited by unavailablezl1; 05-15-2017 at 01:36 PM. Reason: c
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #9
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
Current bucket has a panoramic sunroof, on nice days I like opening it up, especially in the morning.

However, initial inclination is to not get a sunroof on the ZL, not a fan for how it retracts up and outside the car.

Those of you with sunroofs, is there any additional wind noise? I'm following that being 5'11" (as I am) I can't wear a helmet because the cabin roof is lower but I don't plan on tracking the car.

Thoughts, pithy comments, welcome, thanks.
Wind noise isn't bad with it down cruising at 70MPH+. There's much more noise with the side windows down. No wind buffeting either. I didn't want a sunroof initially, I had one in my 2011 2LT and I figured I could do without it and didn't want to pay $900 for that option. I ended up finding my Camaro on a lot and buying that instead of ordering one locally. Overall I'm happy I have the sunroof. It makes it fun for cruising, opens up the cabin a bit more, and is great when I do the odd parade here and there. I think the car looks great with the sunroof open.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
catdog

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 pdr roof CF blk
Have the sunroof, and it's kinda fun to be able to crack it open every now and then or open it to hear the engine better in the tunnels

It does ruin the sexy roofline and looks dorky but does light up the inside and is nice to have on a nice summer/fall/spring evening or morning...

Height is not an issue so if it were I would probably opt against it...
catdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #11
JustinOpinion

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I love sunroofs, but sort of didn't want one on the Camaro ZL1. As fortune would have it, the one I found and bought doesn't have one. My reason was mostly because it changes the entire shape of the roof and I think it makes it look more like a "sports coupe" that you would find anywhere, than a production race car. If you are an extremely serious track guy, I would think that you lose some stiffness with that hole - though I'll never take it to that sort of limit to have it matter.

Bottom line is just go with your gut and try to get what you want. If I had found one that happened to have the sunroof, I'd have bought it and I'd enjoy it. And I'm okay without it.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:11 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Sunroof kills the looks of this car. No way
Old 05-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #13
bucknut2006

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10, 2015 C7 Z51
I would prefer not to have one, but it seems that A10 cars around here all have them. Luckily I found one without PDR so that saves a little. Perfect car would be an A10 without nav, sunroof and PDR, but that's an unicorn I've not found.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I personally would not have a sunroof in a ZL1!! I didn't want one in my '16 SS or have one in my 2010 2SS Camaro. IMO the roofline of the Gen6 looks so much better with that reverse Mohawk look! It's your choice though but I myself would search out a ZL1 without one. Good luck.