The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
GM Recall Opinions...

This massive recall on some GM models that have problems with their ignition switch is very interesting.

However, my wife and I have owned 2 first gen Cobalts and a first gen HHR and never had an issue.

Whatever happened to learning how to drive a car over to the shoulder if it dies or something goes wrong?

Yes the deaths are a tragedy. Yes someone's head needs to roll for them.

BUT... just by observation of today's drivers and numerous so-called key rings I've seen in the general public, basic driving skills are non-existant and there's no need for 30 keys, a teddy bear, an iPod, a make-up compaq, a garage door opener, nail clippers, pocket knives, etc to be on one key ring.

Seeing the lack of any driving skills and these monstrous "key rings" in public and seeing how much they weigh, it's a little much to be asking an ignition switch to hold 5 pounds of junk and keep the key/switch in the ON position.

I have 3 keys on mine... house key, lock box key, and lock-out/tag-out key for work. My wife has 2... house key and lock box key.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Last edited by Hulkamaniac; 04-03-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Buzzardz_vette
Remove Before Flight

Drives: 2014 Cpe Z51 2LT Torch Red
I agree. I have my key FOB and house key. Less is better.

Buzzardz_vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
LeMans
Got that Motown sound!

Drives: 2011 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardz_vette View Post
I agree. I have my key FOB and house key. Less is better.
Yep. That's all that's on mine too. Like the OP said, no need to have all that crap on one key.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Second Vette

Drives: 2011 Mustang
Back in my day, we drove Jalopies. You know, I was so poor...

I had a 50 Ford Pickup. Driving down the street on my way to school when I was 16, the Brake Pedal went to the floor. Had to make a quick decision, downshifted and pulled the Emergency Brake while avoiding Traffic on the Cross Street. The difference between Panic and Reaction. Panic and you're in deep doo doo.

Also had a 76 Ford 4x4 Pickup. The ECM just quit and the Truck stalled. Similar to the GM issue with the Ignition. No Power anything. Got it pulled over and it fired right up. Happened a few times until I got Ford to replace the ECM, but they gave me a hard time since the Truck was out of Warranty. I pointed out that the ECM is part of the Smog System, which has its own extended Warranty, and they relented. Most people wouldn't have known that little fact and would have ended up paying to fix the ECM Problem that Ford denied their Vehicles had at the time. I find it eerily familiar to the GM problem.

Used to Fly Private Planes with my Pilot Brother. He always said, as long as you have wings you can survive. If you don't panic, you can get out of any situation. Of course, he was an Airframe and Power Plant Mechanic, so he knew what was what.
He always said they call it "Pilot Error" for a reason. Many can fly them, but few know how the systems work or the go around in case the systems fail.

People drive Cars, but most have no idea of the Mechanicals.
When there is a problem, most are as helpless as a newborn Babe.
Second Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 AM   #5
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
Great observation on key ring clutter. Don't know if that is the problem related to the ignition switch. Z51Stingray had a Cobalt with no problems, but many others did. The Cobalt was a car oft "repurchased" by dealers under lemon laws. See attached article. Apparently, one common complaint was the car would still run with the key removed - Don't know how that is possible - but key ring clutter could not then be the problem - unless somehow damaged the ignition switch. It seems the Cobalt is the new Pinto - remember that gem of a car? - and the handling of the issue by Ford?

The issue for me is how GM handled and still handles the situation. The part involved cost less than a dollar, and it still amazes me when car companies, and other companies, don't move quickly enough to fix problems via recalls when they know they have a problem, and sometimes don't do anything until forced to do so. Too many companies play the "Risk Management Game" of weighing the cost of a recall v the cost of lawsuits, and going which ever way they figure is least expensive and better for it rather than what's better for us.

I give credit to BP for moving quickly on the oil spill in the Gulf, although it did not entirely own up to who was at fault. Everyone involved pointed fingers at everyone else as to blame. Of course.

One light-hearted news editorial observation I found interesting concerning the testimony of the head of GM is that her no-response response proved once and for all that there is not a gender issue regarding heads of corporations as females are equally adept at corporate CYA as men.

As for key ring clutter, I have a fair amount. The key to my red Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD (great fun car), 2nd car, Potomac River farm house key, farm barn and out-buildings key including my 3-holer outhouse, DC city apartment key, apt mail box key, apt parking garage fob key, Puerto Rico condo key, about a dozen plastic IDs for grocery stores and pharmacies, rec center, libraries, US Boat, etc., and a key ring nail clipper and bottle opener (great thing to have). Then, add to this, a C7 key. The only vehicles keys I don't have on my car ring is the key to my John Deere 4320 tractor (every guy should have a bucket), John Deere zero turn lawn mower, and boats keys, although they do go on my key ring from time to time. To paraphrase the credit card TV ad, "What's on you car ring?" Someone should do a thread as to what's on our key rings

My final thought and comment is that whatever our take on the ignition switch issue a good share of GM's profits on the money we spent on our C7s shall go to settling this issue meaning that ultimately we are the solution to GM's problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/01/bu...hows.html?_r=0

Last edited by Richardlord; 04-06-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
I keep a small knife and an emergency medication fob on my key ring, but it isn't a problem because...

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Hey Richardlord, you forgot the key to the city too.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
Richardlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51Stingray View Post
Hey Richardlord, you forgot the key to the city too.
Got that as well
Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #9
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

ROTFLMFAO

Old 04-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #10
Richardlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51Stingray View Post
ROTFLMFAO
However, given that it is a key to DC; it is a dirty, tarnished, and corrupted key where one end bends to the extreme left and the other end bends to the extreme right making it totally dysfunctional