The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
Road Debris vs Factory Protective Film

I've posted before about how terrible the GM Aftermarket Splash Guards are at protecting the rear quarter panels.

The first picture below is of the factory protective film all chewed up from road debris. Only a few of the gouges went into the paint so the film did its job.

In the last 3 pictures...

I had the film replaced with a bigger piece that goes from the seam, to the door gap, and to the line of the wheel well so you can't see the edge of the film like the factory film.

Then installed RPI's ZR7 Stage II Side Skirts for even more protection and give the car a subtle yet more aggressive look.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hulkamaniac; 08-08-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
I agree...mine looks all chewed up too.....maybe ill be buying something like that too...yours looks good Z-51......I also found out that Chevrolet will not have the protective film all over the C-7 in 2015 as mentioned it was taken off the option list today
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Dada

Drives: Z51 White on Black
What exactly do the side skirts do, do they repel stones and rock? I have the RPI splash guards in matched color look subtle but nice.

How about install of the side skirts, do yourself project?

What is the difference between the Stage I and the Stage II, I saw both but can't tell difference
Dada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Side skirts look good and also,protect the side. They sacrifice themselves as they do get dirty, bout 2x as dirty as the car. They go on with hand tools and can be DIY, IF you feel comfortable drilling the center or using tape correctly. This is the Lashway street skirt-carbon flash, then cquartzed and edges xpel'd.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
Dada

Glen looks sharp, do you know the difference between this and the RPI stage i and 2, can't tell what the difference is, looks very close except for material
Old 08-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Dada, if you look real close at the RPI photos, you'll see that their Stage 2 skirts are very much like Lashway's. On both the outer edge is a straight line from front wheel opening to rear wheel opening. RPI's Stage 1 skirt tapers in a little as it goes front to rear and flares back out for the last foot or so. They will all attach to the car in about the same manner. The Stage 1 skirt will probably allow an easier time getting in and out of the car without scuffing up the finish, tho it may not protect from road debris quite as much. It will still protect far better than no skirts at all.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
Dada

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
Dada, if you look real close at the RPI photos, you'll see that their Stage 2 skirts are very much like Lashway's. On both the outer edge is a straight line from front wheel opening to rear wheel opening. RPI's Stage 1 skirt tapers in a little as it goes front to rear and flares back out for the last foot or so. They will all attach to the car in about the same manner. The Stage 1 skirt will probably allow an easier time getting in and out of the car without scuffing up the finish, tho it may not protect from road debris quite as much. It will still protect far better than no skirts at all.
Thanks this is very helpful. Do you have any skirts on your car?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
What exactly do the side skirts do, do they repel stones and rock? I have the RPI splash guards in matched color look subtle but nice.

How about install of the side skirts, do yourself project?

What is the difference between the Stage I and the Stage II, I saw both but can't tell difference
The GM Aftermarket Splash Guards extend outside the wheels wells about an inch or so. That's all fine and dandy, but they don't extend lower then the front fender so everything your tires pick up get thrown directly at the rear quarterpanel. These side skirts help prevent it.

The ZR7 Stage I side Skirts follow the contours of the sides of the car. See picture below.

The ZR7 Stage II go from outside edge of front fender to outside edge of rear quarterpanel and help with aero and used for racing.

It is a two-man job since they are so long. They screw right into the lower rockers with self-tapping screws. I also used 3M tape where they went underneath the rockers.

Our Club had a cook-out in Dysart last night and HWY 21 just had all its cracks and holes filled with tar and pea gravel. 47 mile round trip and NOT ONE rock chip or mark on the rear quarters.

In my book, RPI Designs NAILED IT!!!

I normally don't condone drilling or putting holes into any car, but these were definitely worth doing that!!!

I highly recommend them!!!

Below these two photos...

Factory Protective Film vs the Aftermarket Film

As you can't see, the aftermarket film goes from the door and body panel seams to wheel well edge and rocker panel. Better coverage and no visible edges.

Not to mention after 47 miles on the pea gravel repaired road... NOT ONE rock chip or even mark.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hulkamaniac; 08-08-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
Dada

This is great info, I noticed those very seams when I got my car. It seems like the RPI ones are the way to go but I won't know how to install them, will need to find someone. I have the RPI splash guards which I was able to do myself very easy

If I have the RPI guards that are held together by that bolt underneath the quarter panel, can I still install the skirts?
Old 08-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

I went to the dealership to put my car up on a lift to install mine.

My buddy sent one of his body techs to help cuz the pieces are so long.

You can do it in your driveway, on or off jacks. But having it on a lift is so much better.

Holes are pre-drilled on the skirts so all you do is put the screws through the holes and into your rockers.

Get some 3M automotive tape too.

Don is the gentleman you want to talk to at RPI. Use coupon code RPIDON to get free shipping and 10% off the price. 888-257-8515

Old 08-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
noxqq

Drives: '19 ZR1 Shadow Gray & '16 Z06 LBR
Dada...there is a youtube vid about the installation of these. Just search C7 Corvette side skirt installation.

Z51 Stingray...thanks for the coupon tip.

Ordering today...still trying to decide - Stage I or Stage II. I thought that I had mind set on the Stage II for the added protection and then I looked at how the Stage I kind of follows the design of the car. Did you get the painted ones? It doesn't seem like there would be much difference in appearance between the flat-black and the unpainted.

I guess I should give Don a call.
noxqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

I got the painted ones in Carbon Flash Metallic to match all the vents, stinger stripe, mirrors, and spoiler.

I'd recommend you going with the Stage II's. They'll offer more protection and give your car a nice, subtle aggressive look.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
noxqq

Drives: '19 ZR1 Shadow Gray & '16 Z06 LBR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51Stingray View Post
I got the painted ones in Carbon Flash Metallic to match all the vents, stinger stripe, mirrors, and spoiler.

I'd recommend you going with the Stage II's. They'll offer more protection and give your car a nice, subtle aggressive look.
Ya'...Now that you mention it, I am sure that I have seen pictures of your car with the Carbon Flash...awsome combo!!!

Just curious - did you get the larger piece of paint protection film from RPI also?
noxqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

The owner of a local shop here in town came out and did the vinyl film.