The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Blue Maro Demon

Drives: 2010 AQUA BLUE CAMARO RS
2.0 Liter EcoBoost confirmed for 2014 Mustang

http://carbuzz.com/news/2012/8/23/2-...stang-7710397/

I have a bad feeling that Ford is going to have a hard time getting people to buy a Mustang that looks like this. We will see once they show the official concept if it looks more like a Mustang or not but so far it doesnt look too good from the exterior. The headlights look like the current Taurus's and the rest just looks too much like the Evos concept. Also GM has a new Turbo 4 cylinder already in the works or done too so looks like we will have 4's, 6's, & 8's. I bet the V6 wont be around much longer.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The next Mustant will not look like that orange car. Perhaps around half the red car, but not the orange one.

As for EcoBoast ... if they think it can help them sell a few more units, good for them. I maintain that a larger NA engine of similar output with similar technology (besides forced induction) will be a better engine. In this case, it would be a small (3L-ish) direct injected V6 with VVT, tuned to maximize fuel economy instead of power. It would be of similar output, at a similar weight, with similar fuel economy, but at a lower cost & better throttle response. I'm not opposed to forced induction when it prevents the need for designing a car to accept a larger engine. But cars like the Camaro & Mustang will always need V8s, in which case ... designing it for an I4, and a V6, and a V8 could end up cancelling any possible benefits to be made by using an I4 in the first place.

Plus ... if its not in a press release from the OEM, I wouldn't exactly call it 'confirmation'
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Maro Demon View Post
http://carbuzz.com/news/2012/8/23/2-...stang-7710397/

I have a bad feeling that Ford is going to have a hard time getting people to buy a Mustang that looks like this. We will see once they show the official concept if it looks more like a Mustang or not but so far it doesnt look too good from the exterior. The headlights look like the current Taurus's and the rest just looks too much like the Evos concept. Also GM has a new Turbo 4 cylinder already in the works or done too so looks like we will have 4's, 6's, & 8's. I bet the V6 wont be around much longer.
In the works? They're already building Turbo 4s. They're options on the Sonic and Cruzes. 1.4L, my girl has one. It's pretty peppy for and Ecobox
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The new Mustang is supposed to be lighter than the current car. Throw in the Eco-Boost and that will be a potent performer with good fuel economy. It will be interesting to see how the next gen Mustang and Camaro changes things.

And before it starts, the V8s are not going anywhere. Chil-lax.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Kiss My SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
Damn....That orange Mustang photo looks exactly like a Camaro...WTF?
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
I was about to actually post this lol. Ford confirms 2015 mustang to have 2liter ecoboost similar to what will be in the ST, also with IRS and live axle to the curb. Here is another link for anyone that want to read more.

http://www.stangtv.com/news/ford-con...-2015-mustang/

So now with ford confirmation of turbo 4 Banger for part of their mustang lineup I think it's now more realistic to see a turbo camaro unless they already have a confirmation and I am late lol. Ford has one heck of a factory supported upgrades via ford racing so I have a feeling that this newly redesigned and lighter mustang is also going to be supported heavily. Turbo cars are more easy to make big power so I really don't see this being a bad thing if your purpose is modding, but for some hardcore mustang V8 fans this might be a stomach crunching news.

-----------------------------------------
Jay@Velocity Porting/MACE USA
Direct Email/Google Talk: Velocityport410@gmail.com

Drives: 2013 DIBM Mustang GT 5.0 MT82.
Mods: Ford Racing Procal, SVT GT500 AB, Ford Racing Strut, Ford Racing K Springs.
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
It's pretty obvious the 6th gen will have a base 2.0T standard. The ATS and Alpha platform in general were basically designed around that engine.

It'll still take a V8, but the base model will be a four cylinder.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
=And before it starts, the V8s are not going anywhere. Chil-lax.
If V8s are not going anywhere then why is it that The 2013 Jaguar XF (which has always had a five liter V-8 or larger) will come standard with a 2.0 liter four next year and have an optional six cylinder around 3 liters? Why has Lexus discontinued offering a V-8 as an upgrade in the 2013 GS series sport sedan, offering only V-6 (and hybrid) power now. Why has Audi scrapped the A8's 4.2 liter V-8, in favor of replacing it with a V-6.

It sounds like for some reason less and less V8s will be available as options, and that only very limited production cars with very high pricetags will be the only cars with a V8 to choose.

I have been saying for some time that soon the ZL1 will be the only Camaro with a V8 and the SS will be a 6 and the LS will be a 4. Expect this to happen in the next 10 years.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
Kiss My SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
I will never ever own a car like a Camaro SS or Mustang GT with a 6cyl...If they quit building V8's then I will buy used....
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
got adrenalin?
Cameo "Cammy" Car Camaro

Drives: 2LT/RS 45th 2012 Limited Escape
No-way .. yours is an original - the mustang is just a wanna be ...
I know someone at ford and this is the model horse for their new emblem for the Eco-Boost
got adrenalin? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
MarcInUtah
Banned

Drives: Mustang(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss My SS View Post
I am glad I wasn't the only one that thought this.

Also, I know this design is not final, but so glad I ordered my new Shelby. If the design looks like the pics posted, its going to take a long time for me to get used to it.
MarcInUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss My SS View Post
The orange Mustang photo is from 2005.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
Mr. Unassailable

Drives: 2010 2SS MT, 2010 SHO, 2004 S60R
Lots of mods already available for these motors also. This is the motor that has been around. Started as a 1.6l turbo.

2011 --
"Ford also took the time to show off all five of its rally-ready Fiesta variants. The top dog would be the Fiesta RS World Rally Car. The all-wheel drive Fiesta RS WRC packs 1.6-liters of EcoBoost turbocharged fury under the hood, that can put out upward of 500-hp.The M-Sport developed Fiesta RS WRC is the same car piloted by the likes of Ken Block, Mikko Hirvonen, and Jari-Matti Latvala in the World Rally Championship.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows/frankfurt/2011/1109_formula_ford_race_and_fiesta_rally_cars/#ixzz24fYnKm3c"

No way will a "muscle car" be not offered with a v8.

I survived C5F3!!!