Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-28-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
cengell

Drives: 2017 2LT Garnet Red
2017 2LT dead battery, after I charged it check engine lite is on?

Hi all, got my 2017 2LT in Sept 2017 and in first of Nov 2017 parked it in the garage as winter in Chicago started and left it parked and as expected and a day ago found the car battery was dead.

Ok so I used my old car battery charger and after overnight on the 10 AMP setting it charged it this morning I started it and the first time it did not start but the second time it did and I revved the engine to about 2K then 2.5K RPMs to for about a few minutes and got the battery meter from a bit below 12v to 14v and shut it off as I was on my way to work. Tonight I wanted to drive it for about 45 min to fully charge the battery from the alt, all went fine but the check engine lite was on this morning and still tonight even after I turned off the car and came back home.

Does anyone know why or I have read that it may take 3-5 times driving the car for the check engine lite to shut off? I don't have an obd2 reader and know I can take it to Autozone for them to test but wanted to know if this has happened to others?

In the future, I will use the Camaro battery tender unit when it's parked for months. I know this is not good on the lead acid battery but maybe there is a dead cell and the car electronics is detecting this and that's 1 reason the check engine lite is on?

Thanks for any help!
Christopher
cengell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Usually after a battery has been fully drained, it will not hold a full charge again, even if you charged it up. Sucks, but I would replace it and make sure that you use a battery tender from now on, even in the summer.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hprush View Post
Usually after a battery has been fully drained, it will not hold a full charge again, even if you charged it up. Sucks, but I would replace it and make sure that you use a battery tender from now on, even in the summer.
Agree. Battery tender is the way to go. You may want to try disconnecting your neg. battery lead for a few minutes and see if that clears that check engine light.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
If you had a dead cell your battery would put out about 10.5 V fully charged and I don't think the car would start.
I would not trust the meter on your charger for an accurate battery voltage. That is measuring voltage with a charging load across the battery. To know the true condition of your battery you need to assess it in its resting state, preferably with the surface charge depleted.
There are too many possibilities for the check engine light. If it's not flashing, you can drive it and see what happens. Personally, I would get the code read so you know what's going on.

If your battery sat discharged for a while, the plates will undergo sulfation, and this will reduce battery capacity. The internal resistance of the battery increases. I am not sure if the battery testing rigs they use at places like Autozone assess this. Someone else may know. In my experience they seem to give a simplified verdict, like "bad battery."

Last edited by ctrlz; 03-01-2018 at 09:11 AM.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hprush View Post
Never heard or experienced a battery not holding a good charge after it completely drains . Maybe on a 5 yr old battery or older, but not a 1 or 2 yr old battery.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Never heard or experienced a battery not holding a good charge after it completely drains . Maybe on a 5 yr old battery or older, but not a 1 or 2 yr old battery.
Believe it....Once you flatten a battery, and it sits overnight or for a few days, you have literally taken some life out of the battery. It will recharge fine but it won't last anywhere near as long as the battery that's constantly kept at 90% or above. I sold batteries in the marine business for years and this was stressed at every seminar we went to , by odyssey, Johnson and all the other manufacturers. Don't ever let them go flat.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Consider turning transport mode on as well during long term storage. Helps on battery life by shutting down un-necessary vehicle modules and functions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #8
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
You can get the Torque app (Android, not sure about iPhone) and a Bluetooth ODB II reader to check and clear the CEL.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #9
ticner58

Drives: 16 RS 2LT 2.0T, 11 HHR, 08 Enclave
Battery problems here also. Nice day here again in N. Indiana so I decided to take it out for a drive, just like last weekend. I even keep a battery tender on it, but it didn't help this time. Got nothing but flashing lights and a constant clicking. Also got a "Battery Saver Active" message in the DIC along with a Action Required "Battery Low"-"Start Vehicle" message. Trying to start it was a no go. Then I got a "Service Stabilitrak" message. Even got a text message telling me that the battery in my 2016 Camaro is "critically low" and to start vehicle to charge. Really concerned because my dealers service department has been less than impressive so far pretty much every time I have taken it there, even simple oil changes and tire rotations are an adventure. I only have 22000 miles on it so at least it's still under warranty. Now I just have to get it started and get it there. Reliability is starting to be a concern as this is not my first issue. Very disappointing!
ticner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:47 PM   #10
cengell

Thanks everybody for your input! I will keep an eye on the battery, and it's been 3 days since I took it out and then sitting so I will measure the voltage and see how it is, I am expecting more than 12v but if not then I will see if it will need to be replaced.

I do know that these Lead Acid Batteries don't like to be taken to dead, but if it was a Deep Cycle battery then it should be ok, but since it's not I will see.

Thanks
Christopher
Old 03-03-2018, 11:05 PM   #11
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
If you had a dead cell your battery would put out about 10.5 V fully charged and I don't think the car would start.
I would not trust the meter on your charger for an accurate battery voltage. That is measuring voltage with a charging load across the battery. To know the true condition of your battery you need to assess it in its resting state, preferably with the surface charge depleted.
There are too many possibilities for the check engine light. If it's not flashing, you can drive it and see what happens. Personally, I would get the code read so you know what's going on.

If your battery sat discharged for a while, the plates will undergo sulfation, and this will reduce battery capacity. The internal resistance of the battery increases. I am not sure if the battery testing rigs they use at places like Autozone assess this. Someone else may know. In my experience they seem to give a simplified verdict, like "bad battery."
You can get a pretty good OBDII scanner/reader for less than $15.00 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/OBD2-Scanner-...+Truck+and+Van
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #12
cengell

Thanks Bongos2U. I thinking since my battery is at 12 volts that it's not at the level like it was before and should get it replaced.

I ordered the OBD2II scanner and always good to have around.

Update this weekend.
Christopher
Old 03-08-2018, 06:35 AM   #13
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
This happened to me on my C4 Corvette- I inadvertently left the ignition on over night after I adjusted the wipers. Next morning battery was completely dead. I charged it with my charger, it started, I though all would be fine, then 2 weeks later the battery just flat out died. Had to get a new one. Once completely discharged you need a new battery.

As far as the CEL, the battery may be the culprit- put a new one in and drive it, perhaps it will re-set it.

Next time, as already stated, use a trickle charger/tender. I got one with my Camaro and will use it when/if I store mine.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #14
cengell

Thanks JT58. I think it will need to be replaced sometime as it's not reliable like it was before.

Yes all of the 2017 2LT Camaros come with that battery maintainer but forgot to hook it up and I was expecting to drive it a few times every month but got too cold here in Chicago.

Would it be covered under battery warranty since it's 6 months old?

Thanks
Christopher