Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #57
SixSpeeder

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
The reason they need the enhancement is that cars are too quiet. Customers want a whisper quiet highway cruise, but also want good sound with acceleration. Unfortunately you can't have both without these "enhancements".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
Im aware of that. I think part of the problem is you cant make a 4 banger sound good.. with our without an over insulated car..
This. As sound deadening goes up, so does the suppression of the exhaust note. It's the reason a lot of hot cars are coming with it standard, it's much easier to tune the exhaust note by enhancing it in the cabin with no drone or resonation from the actual exhaust system. I don't like it at all, but it is becoming common practice across the board of manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I bet in most cases if Nobody knew it had the enhanced sound they would never know it did just by listening to it. Now that you know it then you hate it...nobody knew Milli Vinilli wasn't really singing until someone spilled the beans.

Nobody knew about it at first on the last two generations of the VW GTI, and praised the models for having a much more aggressive, awesome sounding exhaust note compared to the previous generations. Then when people found out about the noise maker, they complained that the exhaust note sounds buzzy and artificial. These were the same guys that were praising it and saying how great it sounded a week earlier.

At least the Camaro one doesn't add any extra hardware by using the speakers that already exist, the VW/Audi sound maker is a stand alone puck speaker in the firewall that vibrates, sometimes causing the dash to rattle if your car has a rattle (which is common on GTI's).

Last edited by SixSpeeder; 05-19-2015 at 02:12 PM.
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #58
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
...I believe it is in the current Camaro's, V8 included.
No. Not the 5th Gens and I hope not on the 6ths. Just make the freaking exhaust sound good from the factory!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #59
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
No. Not the 5th Gens and I hope not on the 6ths. Just make the freaking exhaust sound good from the factory!
If it were that simple to make cars sound great to everyone all the time, don't you think OEMs would do that instead? The fact that they're using this technology should tell you something.

And the 6th gen SS is using a sound tube (or similar) to make the induction noises more evident within the cabin. Its not the same as playing sound through the speakers, but its still a form of artificial enhancement.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #60
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumminxx View Post
Lmao...but someone will believe this to be true...
It has to be true. I just read it on the internet.

And I'm still making the vroom noise, regardless.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:16 PM   #61
V6CamaroRS

Drives: '14 V6 RS, DM Exhaust, Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If it were that simple to make cars sound great to everyone all the time, don't you think OEMs would do that instead? The fact that they're using this technology should tell you something.
That it's very, very hard and we should be incredibly grateful that engineers can devote precious time to tuning the exhaust note?

The Jaguar F-Type really surprised me. Everytime I heard it in action there was this incredible burble from the exhaust whenever the driver let off the accelerator. At first I was wondering how long the darn things were really going to last!

Then I found out that the engineers intentionally created some post-detonation that was harmless but gave a burble that was apparently "classic" to the F-Type. One review described it as "like a string of firecrackers dropped down a manhole, particularly on overrun".

So consider at least some of us suitably impressed.

Now will the engineers please go change the laws of physics already? They're clearly getting in the way.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:16 PM   #62
2014v6

Drives: 2014 black 2 LT
Just play the you tube file off the phone via the blue tooth connection.. Done... Lol
TPW 7-22-13(6-14-13)
3300 status 6-28-13
3400 status 7-18-13
3800 status 7-20-13
4200 status On its way home
6000 status 7-31-13 first camaro ever...
Sold 7-5-14.. thank you oshawa assembly
2014v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:23 PM   #63
V6CamaroRS

Drives: '14 V6 RS, DM Exhaust, Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014v6 View Post
Just play the you tube file off the phone via the blue tooth connection.. Done... Lol
Like this?
Old 05-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #64
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6CamaroRS View Post
Like this?
Chevy should hire this guy
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #65
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Bibrate, lol!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:32 PM   #66
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:54 AM   #67
MelodicTones

Drives: 2015 1LE
GM pumping fake engine noise into the new Camaro

I saw this coming a long time ago. I absolutely despise this feature. Everything is so ****ing "tech'd out" now. The good 'ole days of a stereo, AC and the REAL sound of the engine/exhaust while you throw shifts using the manual transmission are long gone. I've come to terms with this, however, that doesn't mean I like it. LOL.

It is what it is, unfortunately. But whatever. Ghey and lame to say the least.
MelodicTones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #68
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
there are so many things wrong with this technology that i cannot begin to list them.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #69
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
I think people tend to forget that the performance enthusiast is actually a very small % of the market for the Camaro.

Most people want the comfort, performance image and status of the Camaro. Those people don't want a loud exhaust and bare bones anything.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 AM   #70
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I just don't understand the problem people have with this.

On the T4 engine, its not like they have a V-8 recorded soundtrack that is playing though the speakers. They are filtering the natural engine noise and making it sound more pleasant on the inside of the car. Basically its like auto-tune haha. I don't see why that is a bad thing?

The 6 and 8 Models with the sound directed into the cabin? Thats because cars are better now, they are quieter on the inside. They know that the sound is important part of the enthusiast experience so they derived a way to still get that sound on the inside of the car, while still keeping the car quiet on the inside.

Again why is this bad?
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote