Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #71
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Wouldn't that be like putting SS emblems on a V6. LOL..
Maybe his wife made him do it...
Old 01-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #72
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
A few points:

1. I prefer stick all the time. I find that I'm less alert when driving automatics. I grew up in NYC and didn't know how to drive a stick until I was 25 (I'm 41 now). Do I enjoy my wife's automatic SUV sometimes? Yes, but not in a sportscar/musclecar.

2. Every automatic transmission that I have ever had (pre-2000) had problems and needed to be rebuilt. Manual transmissions are much stronger. They are less complicated and thus have less problems.

3. Ferrari's are not automatics!

4. I could live with a sequential manual gearbox or the dual clutchless manual that BMW had. I drove M3s, M5s, and M6s with this transmission at BMW's M School. They were ok, but I still prefer manual. That said, the DCT made it easier to drive around the racetrack without having to worry about shifting perfectly.

5. Manuals may make up only 7% of car sales in the US, but what percentage of sports cars are sold as manuals? I'm thinking it's well over 50%.

6. The Stick's last true market is the US and Canada. When BMW designed the last (not latest) version of the M5, they made the mistake of only offering a SMG or DCT (I forget which one). There was such an outcry from US customers that they had to reverse engineer a manual transmission for the M5. It was only offered in North America. This was less than 10 years ago. I'm not sure that manuals will ever die in the US/Canada. We'll hold on to them just like our guns. Molon Labe!

7. My wife can't drive manual, so I love the fact that she can't drive MY car and curb my rims or get dings in the door. It's not theft deterrent, but wife deterrent.

Last edited by BigBoyBlue; 01-24-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #73
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
So you want people to THINK you're driving a stick?
Quote:
Wouldn't that be like putting SS emblems on a V6. LOL..
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarovigoa View Post
No... It would be like putting a V6 emblem on an SS LOL! No there isnt a V6 emblem but you get what im saying
Quote:
Maybe his wife made him do it...

Would not even suggested this if I thought a bunch of you kids would get butt hurt. Removed pics
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #74
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Would not even suggested this if I thought a bunch of you kids would get butt hurt. Removed pics
They were jokes man... I actually think it's a cool mod.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #75
Blue Thunder

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 1SS/RS
The pistol grip shifter has really increased the pleasure of using tap shift for me. My hand is nearly always on the shifter handle anyways. It's much more natural. And with the manual boot, looks cool too.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Stainless Power 1-7/8 headers, HF cats
Magnaflow 3" tru-x cat back exhaust
NicKey Dyno tune
Bo White ported throttle body
Elite Engineering Catch Can
CAI air intake
GM Strut Brace Bar
JL Audio 12w3 sub, JX1000/1d amp
CFD Carbon Fiber pistol grip TapShift shifter
EGX rear window louvers
4500k HID head and fog lights

Old 01-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #76
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I think it's in part due to older people (like me) that grew up believing that any true muscle car should be a manual.

Today's automatics are nothing like your grandpa's powerglide.

my 2011 2SS/RS Vert was a stick, and so is my 2013 ZL1 Vert. Like I said, to me a muscle car should be a stick. Plus I do like rowing the boat thru all the gears. It's just plain fun.

having said that, If my Camaro was truely a year round DD (I store it for the winter, and my daily round trip to work is 65 miles), then I just might opt for the auto. stop and go traffic can be a real pain sometimes on the ole clutch foot.

but it's not, so it ain't.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #77
Rob3D

Quote:
They were jokes man... I actually think it's a cool mod.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #78
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
You're all a bunch of pansies... with your six forward gears, and your manuals with syncro's, then there's your pansy "OMG I CAN'T STOP" abs, and your sissy traction control.....

The only ones that aren't girlymen are Pogo and PQ... and we've been having our doubts about PQ lately

So, unless you've mastered a RTLO twin stick, or kept racing AFTER your syncro's puked, or got your left leg whacked off and can joke about it... you're probably a pansy.

This is just sarcastic humor, if it offended...well... you're a pansy
Old 01-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #79
Rob3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
You're all a bunch of pansies... with your six forward gears, and your manuals with syncro's, then there's your pansy "OMG I CAN'T STOP" abs, and your sissy traction control.....

The only ones that aren't girlymen are Pogo and PQ... and we've been having our doubts about PQ lately

So, unless you've mastered a RTLO twin stick, or kept racing AFTER your syncro's puked, or got your left leg whacked off and can joke about it... you're probably a pansy.

This is just sarcastic humor, if it offended...well... you're a pansy

You had me at "you're all a bunch of pansies."
Old 01-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #80
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
You had me at "you're all a bunch of pansies."
Someone should make a 'stick v slushbox' thread monthly just for entertainment

..... oh wait.....
Old 01-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #81
Stevew
Stevew

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS and 2012 Corvette
I prefer my manual because I grew up manual transmissions. My first car was a 66 Chevell SS. I have not mastered paddle shifter. I was driving my wife's car fairly aggressively and down shifted when I meant to up shift.

Every time my wife drives my car she says she wishes she had bought a manual.

I don't hate autos, I just drive a stick better.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #82
ksu04

Drives: '13 ZL1, '14 Harley SGS
My SS was an auto, ZL1 is a manual. Next time will probably stick with the auto just to get remote start...
Old 01-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #83
jdsblueray2013

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ssrs Blue Ray
Send a message via Yahoo to jdsblueray2013
All I know is I beat a 2010 stick 2ss, with my 2013 2ss auto, both cars were bone stock... just sayin...
Old 01-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #84
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
I considered an automatic before finding my current LS3. No hate here, it is all personal preference.

Closed Thread

Tags
automatic, automatics, camaro, manuals, zl1