Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
2014 SS fuel fuse pull?

My 2014 SS L99 is at around 1500 miles now and I just read bout the fuse pull people used to do on their camaros because of the octane problem. I'm sure my dealer filled my car up with 87 when I bought it but I've been filling with 91 ever since. Does anybody know if GM has fixed the issue on the 2014 or should I do a fuse pull? Thanks!

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I seriously doubt they made any improvements in that area i.e., octane table recalibration (if that's the right term), for '14. If I were you I would just yank #5 & #20 fuses when you turn in and plug 'em back in when you get up. You should notice the difference after you run it a little while.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:14 PM   #3
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
Some people say a fuse pull does nothing.. It's all in the head.. The car adjusts to whatever octane you put in the car. You may not like the results if you put in 87 because it's made to run on premium. On an L99 Engine i think it may have positive results..
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS 2011 View Post
Some people say a fuse pull does nothing.. It's all in the head.. The car adjusts to whatever octane you put in the car. You may not like the results if you put in 87 because it's made to run on premium. On an L99 Engine i think it may have positive results..
I only put 91, but I'm afraid since the dealers always use 87, the octane might not have adjusted. I'm trying the fuse pull tomorrow and will report back with results!

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

Old 01-14-2014, 11:51 PM   #5
Avgas

Drives: 2011 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS 2011 View Post
I can tell you for sure that there is truth to this fuse pull. I know an engineer that recently retired from General Motors and he confirmed that this is true. I also thought this might be a bunch of BS that's why I asked him. If nothing else it does not cost anything to do the fuse pull. I did it to mine but have not driven my car since October so I can't say it made a difference yet.
Avgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 PM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgas View Post
I can tell you for sure that there is truth to this fuse pull. I know an engineer that recently retired from General Motors and he confirmed that this is true. I also thought this might be a bunch of BS that's why I asked him. If nothing else it does not cost anything to do the fuse pull. I did it to mine but have not driven my car since October so I can't say it made a difference yet.
Weirdest thing I've ever dealt with.

Turns out my dealer had reset mine. But you have to pull a fuse in the trunk as well. I did not on the original fuse pull back in 2009.

My numbers don't lie. But I had the car at the dealer the day before and hadn't timed it in between.

Who knows but the 5 and 20 may not be the right procedure.

I have a video somewhere about how to pull the correct fuse in the trunk.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
I did the two in the Engine Bay and the one in the trunk. It felt different yes, because your resetting the table... Is it all that and more, maybe... Was it worth it yes. I did mine because I was removing the fuse for my NPP exhaust and thought why not I am already here. I posted a picture of the trunk fuse on my build thread if you want to see what one.

Anyway if you have a day your doing a fuse pull for NPP why not. You wont wreck anything and who knows maybe you will feel it... If not, nothing loss nothing gained.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Here is the video to get the number 10 in the trunk.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...postcount=2401

Old 01-15-2014, 12:08 AM   #9
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Weirdest thing I've ever dealt with.

Turns out my dealer had reset mine. But you have to pull a fuse in the trunk as well. I did not on the original fuse pull back in 2009.

My numbers don't lie. But I had the car at the dealer the day before and hadn't timed it in between.

Who knows but the 5 and 20 may not be the right procedure.

I have a video somewhere about how to pull the correct fuse in the trunk.
When you talked about numbers what were you recording? (1/4? 0-60?) and is the trunk fuse completely necessary? Thanks for the video nonetheless, I'll help me a lot tomorrow!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:21 AM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekteq View Post
When you talked about numbers what were you recording? (1/4? 0-60?) and is the trunk fuse completely necessary? Thanks for the video nonetheless, I'll help me a lot tomorrow!
0-60 mph numbers.

Back in August 2009 the first fuse pull and drive.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...52&postcount=1
Old 01-15-2014, 12:28 AM   #11
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Do you still need to do the fuse pull if you are tuned?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:30 AM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Do you still need to do the fuse pull if you are tuned?
No. We were always told no by the tuners. I do not know why though.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:54 AM   #13
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
No. We were always told no by the tuners. I do not know why though.
I'm assuming resetting the ECU would reset some of the tune, trying this tomorrow morning!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 AM   #14
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekteq View Post
I'm assuming resetting the ECU would reset some of the tune, trying this tomorrow morning!
That is the theory. That the computer starts in the high octane timing and retards as it get's driven in low octane and takes forever to get back up. Early on it was believed that it would stay retarded until a 'reset'.