Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-15-2014, 05:24 AM   #15
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
PQ our cars had the trunk fuse also. The back fuse has to do with the battery backup.

5 and 20 work on my 2013.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #16
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
PQ our cars had the trunk fuse also. The back fuse has to do with the battery backup.

5 and 20 work on my 2013.
+1 What he said
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #17
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
urban myth status now............check the oil in your catch can for a clear answer, ha...
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #18
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
+1 What he said
+2 What Cam and Scott said. I have done two fuse pulls in the past year - both due to dealer filling my tank with 87 octane.

First pull was 5 & 20. Second pull was 5 & 20 & 10. I noticed the improvement after BOTH pulls, but no difference between the pulling #10 or not. I think 5 & 20 does the trick.

And remember, OP - be sure ALL the 87 octane has been run out and the tank has ONLY 91+ octane in it BEFORE you do the pull.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #19
QUICKSS

Drives: 2013 2SS
My car was pulling -6 degrees timing after the fuse pull. Gotta say the fuse pull doesn't work. At least on my 2013 LS3.
QUICKSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #20
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
If you use premium consistently and still the car slips into the 87 octane map, consider a catch can. This was my experience. I began to think something else besides bad gas was affecting my car since I also often had pinging on hard acceleration no matter where I filled up. I finally installed a catch can thinking the PCV oil mist is ruining the octane. No pinging since and it is staying in the premium map as far as I can tell.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #21
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKSS View Post
My car was pulling -6 degrees timing after the fuse pull. Gotta say the fuse pull doesn't work. At least on my 2013 LS3.
So what did you do?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #22
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I'm not an electrical circuit expert so I can not explain why this should work but I have seen compelling evidence why it shouldn't.

What I DO know is my car was a full second faster and most of that second took place in initial acceleration to 60 mph.

Basically if you measure the power in those fuses with the ignition off there is not power. I made a video where I did that.

I can't explain it.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #23
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
fuses pulled, putting them back tomorrow morning and reporting back

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #24
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekteq View Post
fuses pulled, putting them back tomorrow morning and reporting back
Old 01-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #25
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekteq View Post
My 2014 SS L99 is at around 1500 miles now and I just read bout the fuse pull people used to do on their camaros because of the octane problem. I'm sure my dealer filled my car up with 87 when I bought it but I've been filling with 91 ever since. Does anybody know if GM has fixed the issue on the 2014 or should I do a fuse pull? Thanks!
It would be impossible for GM to fix an issue that they never had! The PCMs in these cars function exactly they way they were designed to and exactly the same way they always have. If you spend much time on these board, these guys will have you believing that this is something new with 5th gens. Nothing could be farther from the truth! We were doing this back in the mid-eighties on the TPIs and GNs.

As you drive the fuel and spark tables, in the PCM, are modified based in information from the various sensors. If you put 87 octane in, the PCM will pull timing and store that information in it's memory. The wives tale part is that it somehow gets stuck there and will never return to the 91-93 tables. This is not true! It just returns slowly, just like they always have. If you do the fuse pull, you wipe out every thing the PCM has "learned", resetting all parameters back to factory defaults. If your car has had 87 octane in it, the fuse pull will restore full power immediately. But if you just drive it, you will still get the power back, just more slowly, like its designed to.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #26
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
It would be impossible for GM to fix an issue that they never had! The PCMs in these cars function exactly they way they were designed to and exactly the same way they always have. If you spend much time on these board, these guys will have you believing that this is something new with 5th gens. Nothing could be farther from the truth! We were doing this back in the mid-eighties on the TPIs and GNs.

As you drive the fuel and spark tables, in the PCM, are modified based in information from the various sensors. If you put 87 octane in, the PCM will pull timing and store that information in it's memory. The wives tale part is that it somehow gets stuck there and will never return to the 91-93 tables. This is not true! It just returns slowly, just like they always have. If you do the fuse pull, you wipe out every thing the PCM has "learned", resetting all parameters back to factory defaults. If your car has had 87 octane in it, the fuse pull will restore full power immediately. But if you just drive it, you will still get the power back, just more slowly, like its designed to.
I wonder if there was some possible way for a car TO get stuck there OR that somehow there were some sensor readings that got stuck and needed a 'Reboot'. Because with mine, in the very beginning, was sluggish. I timed the car over a hundred times over the course of 2 and a half months and consistently got an average of 14 and a half seconds. When I pulled the fuses my very first run was half a second fastest run of all of the previous runs. Then from there timing it was at .900 seconds faster on average.

I cant' explain it. Shouldn't happen that way as I know exactly what you are saying is true. AND that there is no power in the two fuses I pulled when the ignition is off. (my dealer did have the car just before I pulled the fuses) But I put nothing but 93 octane fuel in my car for those nearly 3 months.

I do not know whether I'd have been back down to a slow spark timing slowly. I timed my car about 10 times that day and never did again. Right after that I did exhaust and headers and tuned me car.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #27
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Put them back this morning. I feel more power...maybe? It might be mental or I'm just rushing the gas. Even if it is mental, it feels good to know I reset the computer to ensure its on the 91 timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post

Very very interesting! I guess TECHNICALLY speaking it does work!

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #28
TigerFA

Drives: Camaro 2SS 2017 Red Hot
The only thing I can say of all cars from 90īs and up they all have a learnable ECU that adjusts to the driver habits, and that goes slow, same like the break in procedure, the car learns how the driver does and try to compensate. I felt that with used cars like from old people they never saw really the throttle, even the engines are full of residue, they got driven a lot harder and more recent and see (maybe young driver) they go much better. I think that should be the same with the timing and fuel tables it just goes slow how its designed. I canīt think about that engineers in the 2000īs doesnīt know this or the car hangs itself up in the ECU program. Then the car is not finished or like "lemon law" you didnīt got what you paid for and they really canīt do this. They canīt expect if they sell you a car with 426hp, not to expect the customer goes on a dyno and test what he got, so after transmission and axle etc. it should be over 400hp min. Otherwise you can bring your car back and tell them: give me what I paid for, itīs your right, so why in the hell they will put an ECU in there what gets stuck.

The only thing what you do with that fuse pull is resetting even your own information of driving what the car already learned, like acceleration, shifting, downshift etc. to adjust fuel management even mpg rates.

The car will learn your habits again after reset, maybe better maybe not.

TigerFA is offline   Reply With Quote