Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #29
Alot9439

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
If the intake actually caused the issue, warranty may be trouble. If not, then your mods absolutely will not void your warranty, and you could have a claim there.

Bring it to the dealer, not the shop.
I took it to the shop because I thought it would be a simple fix, I thought wrong. Right now I think its either it being caused by water damage (resolved through insurance). if thats not the case I might have a warrantee claim. It could go both ways I might have to go out of pocket both ways.
Alot9439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #30
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
maybe a ls7 upgrade in the future?
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #31
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobyd View Post
time to get the 427 and be a sleeper!
This guy seems to have the right thought process
Old 10-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #32
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Mammer View Post
Just throwing it out there cuz I know from first hand that Chevy does NOT WARRANTY an engine that has sucked water- stock air box or not. If it did suck water, It's going to be an insurance claim NOT warranty. If it just happened to throw a rod/piston for no reason/by chance then it will be warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex11b90 View Post
Have to agree with Da Mammer, same thing happened to our brand new Caravan last year (hadn't even made payment #1!!!) in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Not a warranty issue but insurance should pay for it, but it truly sucks sorry for your bad luck!
Exactly!

Warranty is for a factory parts defect or failure.

What the OP is describing is really no different than having an accident, and sustaining serious damage.
Warranty does not cover that either.

As mentioned, this is why you have insurance.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #33
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Exactly!

What the OP is describing is really no different than having an accident, and sustaining serious damage.

Unless of course the damage was caused by the lifter dropping, in which case if he falls within the VINs affected by the lifter TSB then he would be covered under warranty.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #34
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Without pictures of the engine it's hard to say what caused the lifter to drop, but hydrolocking shouldn't have caused a lifter to drop.

That and it's very easy to tell if the engine is hydrolocked - water in the intake. If there's no water in the intake, then it wasn't hydrolocked.
When I was a tech, saw plenty of hydro-locked engines where a lifter destroys the block. Many things can happen.

Full of water, the combustion chamber is now solid. Can bend a rod, break a piston, bend valves, bend pushrods....

Push rods have become a bit stronger lately since the bendable LS1 days. Try to open a valve into a solid combustion chamber.... can break the lifter right out of the block. It's just thin cast iron in that area, the lifters, valves, PR's are steel.

Water depth is only one factor. Basically have to be inching along to avoid a wave. Any speed at all and that wave your wide front tires are pushing will be a lot higher than you think. Those big wide 20s are going to push a big wave right into the intake, especially aftermarkeet ones. The OE intake has been trough tested to go pretty deep. Aftermarket ones... get dyno tested for hp, not water ingestion. With any aftermarket intake, you must drive around standing water. Some are worse than others, some are horrible.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #35
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
When I was a tech, saw plenty of hydro-locked engines where a lifter destroys the block. Many things can happen.

Full of water, the combustion chamber is now solid. Can bend a rod, break a piston, bend valves, bend pushrods....

Push rods have become a bit stronger lately since the bendable LS1 days. Try to open a valve into a solid combustion chamber.... can break the lifter right out of the block. It's just thin cast iron in that area, the lifters, valves, PR's are steel.

Water depth is only one factor. Basically have to be inching along to avoid a wave. Any speed at all and that wave your wide front tires are pushing will be a lot higher than you think. Those big wide 20s are going to push a big wave right into the intake, especially aftermarkeet ones. The OE intake has been trough tested to go pretty deep. Aftermarket ones... get dyno tested for hp, not water ingestion. With any aftermarket intake, you must drive around standing water. Some are worse than others, some are horrible.
Exactly what I'm saying - if his engine was actually hydrolocked, it'd be pretty obvious once you took the intake manifold off.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #36
Alot9439

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post

Thanks for your feed back I am pretty sure Those waves of water as you said might be the case because I saw all types of cars driving through lesson learned I guess . I am really holding my breath I am just glad I didn't tune it yet was gonna do so next week so if its not water related the powertrain warranty should cover it.
Alot9439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #37
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Exactly!

Finally ! It's a insurance comp claim. Get it to your Chevy dealer and let the
insurance co pay them direct 100%, less your comp ded and possibly some
depreciation/betterment.
Why would GM have anything to do with this ?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #38
MADBADGER

Drives: '13 Camaro 2SS/RS
just curious, what intake did you have on the car? CAI, inc?
MADBADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #39
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBADGER View Post
just curious, what intake did you have on the car? CAI, inc?
I seriously doubt he has ours, our intake is sealed off more than any other aftermarket CAI available for this vehicle, and the filter stays in the stock location.

Most likely he has a long tube set-up or an open element system in which the water could have rushed up and over the open box.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #40
QUICKSS

Drives: 2013 2SS
Headers and no tune? Could that be the culprit?
QUICKSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #41
MADBADGER

Drives: '13 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alot9439 View Post
I do have aftermarket parts (Headers,exhaust,CAI) not tuned though so I am not sure about warranty.
Which CAI did he mean?

This is why I assumed maybe CAI inc.
MADBADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #42
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Time for a 7.0L. I've been looking at putting this motor in my 2008 Avalanche LTZ.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-427-LS...73b8a3&vxp=mtr

NEWCHEVY 427 (7.0L) LS3 LS6 LS7 LS1 LS2 L92 / 640 HORSEPOWER STREET / STRIPUPGRADE FUEL-INJECTED CRATE MOTOR!!
640 HORSEPOWER - 608 FT/LBS OF TORQUE

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote