Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 05-06-2016, 12:25 AM   #1
bigdonut

Drives: Nothing
Why did you take the V6 over the 2.0T?

Hello. I'm looking for some opinions with rational arguments that avoid cost. I know the V6 is more expensive than the 2.0T. Did the engine's horsepower appeal to you? Were you willing to sacrifice some fuel economy for cheaper gas? Did you want to get NPP, but without the LT1? Looking for some good discussion, please!
bigdonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:20 AM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
To be honest, partial fear. I knew what a v6 was capable of coming from the LFX. And I've stayed over on ats forums reading the problems the 2.0t was having with detonation and gm replacing engines due to cylinders 3 or 4. To no surprise the ecoboost stang was also having similar issues.

Knowing myself, no car stays stock for long even if it's just basic bolt on for efficiency mods. Making the choice between the two was easy, even though I still do have a turbo curiosity. But for now, just have learned n/a has the least amount of long term stress on most engines.

That and I've been able to clear 35-37mpg averages on 2-5 hour trips...

I've got enough power that I can use and be able to control responsibly. I'm not into dyno numbers and stuff as others may be. I use a dyno to tune, only. Perfect blend in my view.

Npp seemed cool, but for me ill prob go magnaflow yet again unless corsa or borla come out with something along the same realm.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:12 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdonut View Post
Hello. I'm looking for some opinions with rational arguments that avoid cost. I know the V6 is more expensive than the 2.0T. Did the engine's horsepower appeal to you? Were you willing to sacrifice some fuel economy for cheaper gas? Did you want to get NPP, but without the LT1? Looking for some good discussion, please!
Having driven many turbo 4's, esp the N20 BMW, i wanted the reduced noise-vibration-harshness (NVH) at all rpm ranges. The v6 does not disappoint. Regular gas is just icing on the cake.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:41 AM   #4
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
One word
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:53 AM   #5
phillip123hastings

Drives: A real beast
The V6 just does not disappoint!
phillip123hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
I chose it bc it has more power. 60 more hp than the turbo and only gives up 10 ft/lbs. Plus, I REALLY wanted the dual mode performance exhaust. I absolutely love how this V6 sounds with it.

I used to own a 2004 GTO, and that car had more than enough power for me. It thrills me that the performance numbers put up by this new V6 are nearly identical to that old LS1.

Plus... I would just have a hard time telling people my Camaro has a 4 cylinder.

Last edited by Lukemo; 05-06-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #7
LittleBloo

Drives: 2016 2LT
I went with the V6 in part because I couldn't wait any longer for a new car. But I am not disappointed. I know SS owners would laugh, but I love having the power.

Gas milage-wise, I'm pretty darn pleased. I do almost all highway driving (save for the 2-3 miles from the highway to home/work. I filled up on Monday and after 3 days I was averaging 31 mpg. I probably haven't let it loose in those few days, because when I do let it rip, I see the fuel usage drop pretty quickly.

I think, normally, I'm in the 26-28 mpg range. My old car got 34 mpg, but had a third of the HP my Camaro has. I'm perfectly fine with the trade off.
LittleBloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
bigdonut

Drives: Nothing
Thanks for the quality responses.

I'm guessing those of you with the good mileage numbers have automatics. Something that does appeal to me is the sound of the V6 compared to the 2.0T. I used to have a decent powered V6 and the sound was really nice. Exhaust videos on YouTube really do the V6 justice. What are your guys' thoughts on the torque found in the 2.0T? Did any of you do a test drive comparing the acceleration at 0-60 speeds? I'm thinking that the V6 power comes out on top of the 2.0T when driving at unsafe speeds. I'm all about being in the safer side of things. In addition, I don't think I'm looking to mod if I were to get a 2.0T. Where I come from, traffic exists.
bigdonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
Goobaba

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Manual
A few reasons,

1 - the sound!
2 - linear response and power
3 - regular gas
4 - the sound!

If you do want to go the tuning route, the 2.0t will be the way to go, no bad choice here

Edit: I will also say I am getting considerably less MPG than the others are posting, avg about 18 mpg in mixed driving, and yes I do lay the throttle down hard a lot
Goobaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Agree with Goobaba on all. And I also do not see those fuel economy numbers. I do mostly city driving and I average 21-22 mpg.And that's with a manual.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #11
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
I had a couple 4th gen z28's. Loved those cars and the power (drove both of them to 120,000 mi + with almost no mechanical problems). Got married and my wife hated my loud obnoxious impractical sports car. Think it bothered her that everyone tried to race her if she had to drive my car.

Decided to be more responsible with my next vehicle and went with a couple year old 09 VW GTI. I'm not going to say that I hated the car as it was nice having big hatch area.... surprising how much junk could be stuffed in that car. But, the torque steer, traction issues, and FWD was just annoying. Never felt like a sports car and I only got 18-20 mpg.

Around 60k miles I started having mechanical issues with the GTI. Spent about $3000 in parts/repairs in 1 year and decided that I'd never buy another turbo'd car.

Don't really need a V8 in my daily driver........ so, RWD, quick, fun??? V6 Camaro..... Perfect! Really like the car and the power is "enough". Hopefully this new engine will have great reliability like my 4th Gen's.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #12
Kid JDM

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6 RS
https://youtu.be/Qrs0oa-XIV4

The NPP exhaust on the V6 is what sold me. Coming from a turbo 4 in my current car I'm going to miss the induction and BPV noises, but that exhaust can't be beat.
Kid JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #13
TheJ
De rerum natura

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
To be honest I haven't seen the dynos to compare the 4 with the 6 cylinder engines... However, I would imagine that aside from peak hp.. the (bigger and even more important for daily driving) area under the peak is much more attractive on the V6 than on the 4 cylinder.
TheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:27 AM   #14
eurostyle

Drives: 1LS MT
Anybody knows if the NPP exhaust can be retrofitted to a V6 that came without it?
eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote