Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #15
Busabob

Drives: Looking
I have 12k on the stock ZL1 GY's and the rears are about toast and don't stick for sh*t! No more GY's for me....
Old 12-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #16
12 ZL1 #1725

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
I kept debating about getting another set of goodyears.... But pulled the string today and got the Michelin Pilot Super Sports... Hoping they're better all the way around? Performance and wear???? I guess I will find out in the spring....
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #17
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 ZL1 #1725 View Post
I kept debating about getting another set of goodyears.... But pulled the string today and got the Michelin Pilot Super Sports... Hoping they're better all the way around? Performance and wear???? I guess I will find out in the spring....
Everything I read the PSS's should last much longer, they also have a warranty!

Technically speaking you are going from a 200 tread wear (Goodyear) to a 340 Tread wear I think with the PSS?

The PSS is also a dual compound tire which is one reason it lasts longer but also has good grip.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #18
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post

Technically speaking you are going from a 200 tread wear (Goodyear) to a 340 Tread wear I think with the PSS?

The PSS is also a dual compound tire which is one reason it lasts longer but also has good grip.

Was just looking at tire rack and both per tire rack have the same tire thread. Could be wrong but that's per their site
Old 12-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #19
12 ZL1 #1725

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post

I hear the same... And I was more concerned with wear... No matter what I've had on the back it won't hook up.... I'm pushing 715 to the rear wheel.... So I have a set of 17 in Bogarts to put some slick and skinnies on if I go to the track...
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #20
Busabob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 ZL1 #1725 View Post

You are going to love the Pilot Sports. They came stock on my 2009 CTS-V, lasted 23k miles and I used them. I didn't "abuse" them but I did a lot of aggressive road driving when the opportunity presented itself in the twisty roads of northern AZ. they performed at 85-90% at 22k miles as they did at new.

I replaced them with Hankooks (R12?) and they would not perform after 8k miles. They just got slimey when heated up. They still had tread but I might as well have had $100 "may-pops" on it.

Expensive but worth it!!
Old 12-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #21
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
Was just looking at tire rack and both per tire rack have the same tire thread. Could be wrong but that's per their site
Michelin PSS:
Size: 285/35ZR20
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: (104Y)
Load Range: XL
UTQG: 300 AA A

Goodyear:
Left: 285/35ZR20
Asymmetric/Directional
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: (100Y)
UTQG: 220 AA A

The UTQG is the treadwear rating, lower technically means more sticky and more traction, but it's not regulated super well so manufacturers can sometimes fudge those numbers a bit.

Also, interesting that I just noticed, chevy says our cars need 106 and 103 load rating tires, yet the 1LE comes with only 100 load rated tires. Probably because nobody makes better tires with giant load ratings, lol.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 12-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #22
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busabob View Post
You are going to love the Pilot Sports. They came stock on my 2009 CTS-V, lasted 23k miles and I used them. I didn't "abuse" them but I did a lot of aggressive road driving when the opportunity presented itself in the twisty roads of northern AZ. they performed at 85-90% at 22k miles as they did at new.

I replaced them with Hankooks (R12?) and they would not perform after 8k miles. They just got slimey when heated up. They still had tread but I might as well have had $100 "may-pops" on it.

Expensive but worth it!!
I'm planning on running 275/35 Michelin PSS's on 4 20x9 stock wheels, new wheels aren't really in the budget for now but my Nittos in the back are getting low, so gotta do something and I already have a extra set of stock wheels.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 12-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #23
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
I just changed out my stockers for Michelin PSS's and they are so much better. Get the K2's for the rear. Stockers lasted 6800 miles and 2 track events.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #24
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Here is my stock set F1 at 20K miles, normal daily driving.

Name:  F1.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  75.2 KB

Not a big fan. Replaced with P-Zeros. Got around 12K miles on them so far. I like them, but did cost a bit more.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #25
Busabob

I know this is taboo.....but has anyone replaced just the rears with something other than the OE GY's and did they experience instability issues? I know you can't with RF and non RF, been down that road!! Lol

I need a set of rears, but the OE fronts are still good. I "really" don't want to get another set of the OE rears but I will if I have to then replace all 4 when those go.

Thanks for your input.....
Old 12-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #26
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex70olds View Post
Here is my stock set F1 at 20K miles, normal daily driving.

Attachment 678287

Not a big fan. Replaced with P-Zeros. Got around 12K miles on them so far. I like them, but did cost a bit more.
That's what mine look like at ~2,000 miles.... I'm so pissed about this, my father recalls them putting a tire dressing on the tires before they put them in his truck... They literally just changed a set on a ZL1 a few days prior, so I'm thinking they gave me used tires, but the alignment surely is not helping...
Old 12-04-2014, 02:20 AM   #27
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busabob View Post
I know this is taboo.....but has anyone replaced just the rears with something other than the OE GY's and did they experience instability issues? I know you can't with RF and non RF, been down that road!! Lol

I need a set of rears, but the OE fronts are still good. I "really" don't want to get another set of the OE rears but I will if I have to then replace all 4 when those go.

Thanks for your input.....
Same dilemma, I did a rim trade with a forum member, my stocks for his rims with oe f1s and they are at 4/32. Fronts are fine too but the car would look real funky with different fronts and rears lol.

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #28
Busabob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekteq View Post
Same dilemma, I did a rim trade with a forum member, my stocks for his rims with oe f1s and they are at 4/32. Fronts are fine too but the car would look real funky with different fronts and rears lol.

I'm "reluctantly" leaning towards getting another set of the OE rears to avoid possible stability issues.......but I'm not happy about it!