The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2018 Camaro Fest (VIII)

Old 12-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #113
faSSteddie

Drives: 2013 Victory red/white stripes SS
First of all, I never said you could not deep stage on a pro tree. I was merely refuting the claim that once you trip the staging lights, that you should be ready to go. I was showing that there could be more to do AFTER you stage, thus you would NOT be ready to race once staged.

I am glad everyone has no problems with the pro tree and love it so much. I wish that was me. The fact of the matter is, there are those of us that feel rushed with a pro tree. No amount of telling us how great it is, or to get used to it, or that it cuts down on redlighting, or that we need to stage first, or we need to be ready when we stage, or how you can deep stage with time left over, or that you can cut an x number reaction time, or how you can race just fine with either tree, remedies this situation for us. I certainly do appreciate the ones who offer to help by sharing their knowledge. That is awesome and it is why I hang out with you guys here...but....telling someone how to do something and doing it, is two different things. ( kinda like telling someone how to slip a clutch...just because you told them , does not mean they can do it. Easier said than done.)

I hated feeling rushed by the pro tree so much, that it quit being fun. Roll your eyes and snicker at me, say I am not a real drag racer then, tell me that drag racing ain't for me, whatever... I wish it were not the case, but it is. I am arguing with myself if I want to even mess with the frustration at the next fest if it uses a pro tree. I love drag racing but hate feeling uncomfortable.

I am not on here just to hear myself whine or cause problems. I have offered solutions to some of the problems with going with a Sportsman tree and have even offered a compromise or at the very least a vote. I don't think I'm being unfair.

Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one and they all stink. My stinky opinion is for the Sportsman tree. You are welcome to your stinky opinion.

faSSteddie
faSSteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #114
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I agree with you faSSteddy.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #115
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS RS-AUTO
faSSteddie and others....
I appreciate and respect your opinions-it is always good discussion.
Properly staging and feeling comfortable and doing it well comes with practice. Doesn't matter which Tree- I still get nervous, feel rushed(the exta 1 second is insignificant), make mistakes, and can do better.
My initial post and truly underlying goal was to recommend for the betterment of the group. It was based upon known typical results of the differences of the two Trees. I've been to numerous races -most all of the Cfests and other events with many novices. It is just plain fact that Pro Tree will produce far less Red lights- which I've listened to the numerous disappointed drivers. They felt robbed and deal with the '"only if I'd...." I've been there myself and it's the worst way to go out.
I prefer Sportman myself- for reasons we all have mentioned already, but it's not about me or other experienced racers-we can adjust.
As I mentioned, along with Bo and many others -are willing to help in the lanes, at the line,or on the long isolated return road. There are several ways to improve ones staging so a driver can be more comfortable regardless of the Tree. We will be available during our down time and TNT.
Good luck to all and enjoy.
Respectfully,
Tim
Old 12-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #116
RubyCamaro
Jan

Beech Bend does make it very hard to go around the water. They spray it too far across & you have to dang near hit the wall & still get in some water. Some of us just don't want to do burnouts.

Go to any local track and you will see classes most of us would run in using the Sportsman tree & the Pro tree, well for the more "pro" classes. There is a reason for that. It is a tried & true system. I just don't get why we are trying to re-invent the wheel. Just sayin'.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:19 PM   #117
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Ruby. Since you know me for a while and well-you know I'm a straight shooter.
As another comment for training purposes(like I was trying to offer before too-not be condescending) - driving around the water box can be over exaggerated. It is not a necessary for lower power cars to do it. I ran for several years over hundreds of passes on stock street tires and never drive around water. I have Never done it. This is with all stock tires and later with stock front/drag rears. There again are methods to address water boxes that don't require all that. Quite often going around it is worse because that is where all the debris us swept to. Once a car is higher launch power/torque- it at least needs some better rear tires-for the slipping off the line isn't from water at that point.
There isn't any reason why the track for our Cfest couldn't respect the request to limit the width of the water box. If it becomes a major problem let me know-Id can talk with the tower.
Looking forward to seeing you two again.

Picture-stock pzero- major race. Years back. Drove thru water box as always- no issues.
Attached Images

Last edited by HRD_WRK; 12-22-2017 at 06:49 PM.
HRD_WRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #118
RubyCamaro
Jan

With my car, it is a problem. I grip well at launch if tires are dry but will chirp pretty good to spin a bit when the tires get wet.Makes sense about getting into debris. Always open to learning new tricks. Thanks. Look forward to seeing you again too. Always fun to watch you run!
Old 12-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #119
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
With my car, it is a problem. I grip well at launch if tires are dry but will chirp pretty good to spin a bit when the tires get wet.Makes sense about getting into debris. Always open to learning new tricks. Thanks. Look forward to seeing you again too. Always fun to watch you run!

Thanks Ruby.
I can offer ways to deal with minimize effects of going thru water during the event
Old 12-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #120
RubyCamaro
Jan

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #121
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
This is what a forum is for, to be used to share ideas and debate subjects. It takes great members to do it correctly and respectfully. No name calling or heated text is a sign of mature members. Sometimes text is hard to read properly because of the lack of emotion and body language. Not everyone is an english major.....as some of the spelling is a tell tail sign of this lol.
Anywho, I just want to have a good time with good people with cool cars.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #122
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Agree ruby that tire chirp and wheel hop is obnoxious to no end it's not nearly as bad when you don't hit the water box i experience the same issue with the I4.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile

Last edited by Evil-Bee-NH; 12-23-2017 at 02:06 AM.
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:28 AM   #123
Bo White

My local track you cannot drive around the waterbox. Theres no way around it.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Old 12-23-2017, 02:08 AM   #124
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
You can skirt around the waterbox at my local track. Spose if i spent the money to get an eLSD conversion i could warm the tires and dry them with a burnout but I'd not be able to race from the two broken legs my fiance would give me.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #125
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
My local track you cannot drive around the waterbox. Theres no way around it.
But you can wave the guy down to not spray any water. Helps a little
Old 12-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #126
Bo White

Ive never had an issue with water being brought up to the staging area or track. Its a good distance from the burnout box. Its a tick further than Beech Bend.