The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

View Poll Results: Which question should we ask Al?
A strut tower brace is listed as an order-able option…is it helpful? Needed? 21 42.86%
Can you detail Modifications? Factory-adjustable settings? for the “ZLE" record Nurburgring run? 19 38.78%
Why was the decision made not to include a front camera on the Gen 6 Camaro? 9 18.37%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #29
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Guys I see your points. However, please don’t overthink this. If you don’t like the subjects then don’t vote. I sure didn’t vote. Make your vote or non vote count.
The problem is that at the current rate of Q/A cycles these burning questions such as the M6 ZL1 launch bog, the A8 trans shudder problem or torque management internals, will take very-very long to be asked and answered if crowded out by, frankly, less interesting and much more obvious ones (such as the lack of a front camera---given other GM models have it, there can hardly be a meaningful tech restriction behind it).

As someone already suggested, having a top 10 in the poll to choose from, plus perhaps having a 2nd round with the top 3 remaining if there aren't clear winners, would be much better.

Finally, as a recently joined noob member, let me put something out there. The passion, level of expertise, helpfulness, reasonability and general positivity on these forums is nothing short of outstanding, and so is the opportunity to get responses straight from the chief engineer. The reason we are bringing these issues up is for the forum and not against you mods, it's specifically because we value this place a lot, and I hope I also speak for others when saying this.

Last edited by arpad_m; 12-10-2017 at 02:11 PM. Reason: fixed a small typo
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #30

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzySS View Post
These aren't interesting topics in my opinion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Then be part of the solution and ask one for the next poll.
I would suggest that this forum, and determining which questions should be asked in a poll, is indeed far from perfect. As popular as a particular topic may be in other forums on this web-site, it needs to be noticed and campaigned for in this Ask Al forum....I don't think the mods go searching other forums and threads to determine which questions should be asked here....

Bump your threads up, put up links to your question thread here in other forums and threads, and get the numbers up from different members to post in your ASK AL thread in this forum.....Right now, the time-frame and regularity of polls and answers is a little dis-jointed...It's only the second poll. I suggest participating in this poll, even if your favorite topic isn't included....

Before you start ranting about conspiracy theories and the like, consider that any thread or topic that the Camaro Team cannot or will not answer will be closed or deleted by the mods....That applies to this ASk al forum only, not the others...The mods can only be expected to pick poll questions from this forum only, not from the entire web-site....

I agree, some topics seem to have more "urgency" than others. If that is the case, pump it up, lobby for it, etc. in this forum.

Good luck.

On another note, I think Norm has a good suggestion...more than one poll with each having it's own category....powertrain poll, cosmetic/accessories poll, etc....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #31
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Right...Please be realistic in your expectations of this forum. While, this IS a new, and open avenue to communicate with the Camaro Team; recognize that they are participating of their own volition, and are certainly NOT required to answer anything. Nothing has changed on that front. With that in mind, the creation of this section means we're all just a little closer to that corporate line they have to toe while talking to us and sharing information. You have to be able to respect that in here, even if you don't like it. There are no conspiracies at work - just reality.

It is for that reason that we included the first, and second-to-last guidelines in this forum. If we need to provide that feedback when a thread/question is asked...we can.

So, we're not looking for "softball" questions. But we are looking for popular questions that adhere to the guidelines, and are therefore answerable by the Camaro Team in this venue. The first question about No-Lift Shift was an excellent example of what this forum subsection can do. There was virtually no consensus on what the feature was, if we had it, or how to use it. Those concerns were expressed in a pretty popular thread, that then was chosen in the poll...and the response was not only thorough; but came with data points, and an explicit "how to".

And finally, in the case of this poll in particular, we're a bit behind the curve in terms of timeline to have chosen questions due to delays...consider it a bit "retroactive".
Old 12-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #32
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Even if you only come browse here twice a week, you're going to see someone mention something about the A8 shudder, M6 launch, rear end groan and even the quirkiness of the A8 shifting. I have NEVER heard of anything mentioned bout these 3 sad choices. I seriously can't believe anyone gives a rats a$$ regarding them either. I'm always right...just ask my wife.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #33
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
Even if you only come browse here twice a week, you're going to see someone mention something about the A8 shudder, M6 launch, rear end groan and even the quirkiness of the A8 shifting. I have NEVER heard of anything mentioned bout these 3 sad choices. I seriously can't believe anyone gives a rats a$$ regarding them either. I'm always right...just ask my wife.
...and even if you browse here every day you're never going to hear GM discuss problems so if that's what you're looking for this is the wrong place. Why do you think Travis Lambert's communication was cut off? It was being posted here.

It doesn't matter how hard we try to get something off the ground it's not going to be good enough for some. As mentioned we were a little behind the curve getting these out and we are all in the middle of the holiday season so this was a quickie. If you don't like #2 then skip it and let's work on #3. It's going to take some time.

Something I'd like to see is a break down of all the different modes and how much torque management and traction control is in place between Tour, Sport, Track and then all the magnetic ride PTM modes and all off. A chart of sort.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #34
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
I don't think anyone feels this program, for lack of a better word to describe it, "is not good enough", but rather the manner in which the topics were selected didn't seem to reflect what was advertised, at least at first glance. After some deep breathes, what I would like to believe though could still be wrong (ASSumptions right) is that M6 and potentially even shudder were observed as popular topics, though discussed and/or considered behind the scenes and determined to not meet the criteria, and as such the options we see now were the next logical choices. However it is the lack of visibility in that process which leads many to believe there may have been ulterior motives or bias applied to the selection process, whereby the popular topics were ignored altogether.

Instead of immediately ruling a topic out based on the appearance of it, perhaps give us (original author at least?) a chance to help formulate the wording to an acceptable tone and verbiage. If it doesn't work still, then it's ruled out by criteria requirements.

We (Travis and I have been working on this throughout the day) can post the launch topic in a manner that isn't indicative or implicit of a problem, similar to the NLS topic. It would be more reflective of my original thread topic in this ask Al section ("talk to us about launching the car"), similar to talk to us about how the NLS works and best method to use it. Not the way many have paraphrased this as an "issue".

If we must, we'll begrudgingly lick our wounds and regroup for the next poll iteration. Though if the intent will be to limit this to insight on stylistic decisions or design characteristics - having transparency there would also reduce the amount of negative responses posted.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #35
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Why do you think Travis Lambert's communication was cut off? It was being posted here.
GM is planning to respond to the launch questions via Ask Al, assuming it gets selected.

Here's an email I received on November 14, from Ron Kiino.

Quote:
Travis,

Thanks much for the note, and apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

FYI, the data you sent over is being reviewed by our performance engineers, and the team plans to address this concern via the new social-media forum “Ask Al” (with Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser), or thru a bulletin to dealers, as necessary. The Ask Al forum can be found at http://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=309.

Regards,

Ron Kiino
Chevrolet Communications – Performance Cars
I crafted a new thread which I believe covers much of what the launch discussion boils down to.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515791
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #36
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
GM is planning to respond to the launch questions via Ask Al, assuming it gets selected.

I crafted a new thread which I believe covers much of what the launch discussion boils down to.

Interesting... and good to know.

My angle on the question was a bit different on the modes but basically the same result. Let's roll with it and see what happens.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #37
Infern0
Bring It

Quote:

OK that adds to the sting a little. Makes it sound like something may already be waiting and we're skipping over it due to preconceived misconceptions.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #38
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
OK that adds to the sting a little. Makes it sound like something may already be waiting and we're skipping over it due to preconceived misconceptions.
WoW
Old 12-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #39
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Take a deep breath. Everything is going to be okay. LOL
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #40
Infern0
Bring It

Quote:

Quote:
WoW
Wow? It can't be selected if we don't get to vote for it, right? We don't get to vote for it if it's automatically taken out of the running because it was considered by those selecting the topic as an "issue" question, right? The email above makes it sound like they're waiting for this process here to pose the question is all I meant.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Wow? It can't be selected if we don't get to vote for it, right? We don't get to vote for it if it's automatically taken out of the running because it was considered by those selecting the topic as an "issue" question, right? The email above makes it sound like they're waiting for this process here to pose the question is all I meant.
The email is not the only factor in this discussion. You are correct in your understanding of one of the reasons why it wasn't selected, but that isn't the only reason. If GM is preparing a response to a question that hasn't been asked yet - good on them!

Rest assured there are no "pre-concieved" anythings going on...Mike and I are responsible for the polls. The question just didn't make it into this poll. We ask that you guys let this poll run its course...let's get an answer, and move forward with the process.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #42
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
Even if you only come browse here twice a week, you're going to see someone mention something about the A8 shudder, M6 launch, rear end groan and even the quirkiness of the A8 shifting. I have NEVER heard of anything mentioned bout these 3 sad choices.
You needed to have visited the Road Course/Track/Auto-x forum to have seen either of the first two.

One thing that I can tell you about the STB question is that it has been cropping up from time to time ever since strut-equipped cars started to be taken seriously for cornering & handling and there were internet forums for those cars. I know of over 35 separate discussions, several of which were right here on the Camaro5/6 site (something like 14 more over on MustangForums.com). That makes it a generic question that will continue to show up, so it'd be nice to get a more official answer than my own considered suspicions as a (retired) engineer. Hopefully the A8 shudder and the M6 launch items never make it to that level.

Suspension and other tuning for the 'Ring is as important to the corner-carvers as any tweaks and/or driving techniques that Chevy used to achieve their M6 ET's are to the drag racers. If not for the 'exact' specs used, at least for some general directions to take relative to production-line stock.

It doesn't hurt to have a little curiosity about aspects of car ownership that don't mesh with your own preferred use and experience. I hope I don't ever have to buy an automatic, and I doubt I'll ever pick up a drag racing habit. But since I'd like to eventually learn what's behind these topics I'd probably vote for either of them before other powertrain-related matters.

Norm