The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 11-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Greatest of All Time (GOAT NBA)

Let's do Basketball!

Center - Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Power Forward - Charles Barkley
Small Forward - Larry Bird
Shooting Guard - Pete Maravich
Point Guard - Steve Nash - Steph Curry could get there!

What do you think?
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I say Hakeem the Dream Olajuwon... I stole this...

Kareem tends to get a bit more credit because of the rings and stacked up stats and MVP awards but he played in a situation that allowed him to rack up those awards. First off, he played with the two greatest PG's of all time in Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson. When he was with the Lakers he had Magic setting him up and also had James Worthy as well and two are both top 50 greatest players ever.

Hakeem wasn't given nearly as much help throughout his career and made due with what he was given and that is to counter people who say Kareem based off accomplishments. I think Hakeem was the better player all around and before I get to that I want to talk about how he is the more clutch player and how he made due with what he was given like I stated earlier.

During the 1994-1995 NBA season his team had the 6th best record at 47-35 in the west. Hakeem come playoff time then turned in what would be the most pressured playoff run that a player and his team have ever had to endure in the history of the game in my opinion. First he had to play the Jazz in round 1 who had a record of 60-22 and home court advantage. He had to go up against the legendary duo of John Stockton and Karl Malone and prevailed even in the eliminated game of game 5.

Game 1:
Hakeem: 45pts, 8rebs, 6ast, 3blk, 2stl
Malone: 25pts, 14rebs, 4ast
Stockton: 28pts, 10ast

Game 2:
Hakeem: 27pts, 7rebs, 4ast, 3blk, 2stl
Malone: 28pts, 17rebs, 2ast
Stockton: 12pts, 12ast

Game 3:
Hakeem: 30pts, 10rebs, 3ast, 5blk
Malone: 32pts, 19rebs, 5ast
Stockton: 11pts, 13ast

Game 4:
Hakeem: 40pts, 8rebs, 3ast
Malone: 31pts, 6rebs, 5ast
Stockton: 26pts, 11ast

Game 5 (Elimination):
Hakeem: 33pts, 10rebs, 4ast
Malone: 35pts, 10rebs, 3ast
Stockton: 12pts, 5ast

*Hakeem shot a much better fg% than Malone the whole series.

Then after escaping a game 5 elimination game by 4 pts against the Jazz and needing two 40pt explosions in the series to do so he had to face the 59-23 Suns. In that series his team trailed the series 3-1 and Hakeem led his team to a game 7 and a victory. After losing game 4 and scoring 38 points and Hakeem's team now being down 3-1, Hakeem destroyed the entire series to give his team 3 straight wins and averaged 30ppg, 11.7rpg, 2.3bpg, and 5.7apg for the rest of the series along with a 1 point win in game 7 to advance against David Robinson's 62-20 win spurs, in a series that Hakeem held Robinson to 42%fg shooting while putting up these numbers during the 7 game series.

Game 1 vs Spurs: 27pts, 8rebs, 6ast, 5blks
Game 2 vs Spurs: 41pts, 16rebs, 4ast, 2blks
Game 3 vs Spurs: 43pts, 11rebs, 4ast, 5blks
Game 4 vs Spurs: 20pts, 14rebs, 5ast, 3blks
Game 5 vs Spurs: 42pts, 9rebs, 8ast, 5blks
Game 6 vs Spurs: 39pts, 17rebs, 3ast, 5blks

In an important game 6, David Robinson was hounded by Hakeem's defense to shoot only 6-17 from the field.

Then in the finals Hakeem's Rockets sweep Shaq's Magic who had a 57 win season. Hakeem posted 32.8ppg, 11.3rpg, and 5.5apg vs Shaq's 28ppg, 12.5rpg, and 6.3apg series to win he series and win the title.

*Hakeem had no home court throughout the entire playoffs.
* Trailed a series 3-1
* Went 4-0 in elimination games.
* Out played 2 all time great centers.

With that said, Hakeem was able to do all this without a great PG like Kareem and without HOF talent that were in their primes and Hakeem found a way to get another ring. Hakeem had better moves in the post that Kareem, Hakeem was also a better defender and won defensive player of the year and became the all time leader in blocks in an era that had much more athletic players. And Hakeem played the passing lanes better and is among the top 10 in steals yet he is a center. He was able to switch onto guards in pick and rolls and guard them better than Kareem could. Kareem had him in rebounds a bit and assists, but Hakeem was better on offense, and defense and with the above information along with other things done in Hakeem's career he was the better pressure player and more clutch.
Source(s):
Imagine what Hakeem could have done playing with Oscar or Magic..

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Center- Wilt Chamberlain
Power forward- Tim Duncan
Small forward- Bernard King
Shooting guard- Micheal Jordan
Point guard- Ervin 'Magic' Johnson
Under 6'3" Point guard- Isaiah Thomas
Couldn't choose between the the two best PG's of all time, so I put in a qualifier of under 6'3". Magic could play all five positions, if need be. And he proved it in his first NBA Finals when he played center in game seven and went for forty I believe.

Last edited by Kenny Camaro; 11-12-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #4
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
I say Hakeem the Dream Olajuwon... I stole this...

Kareem tends to get a bit more credit because of the rings and stacked up stats.

The Dream wouldn't have won his two titles if Jordan would have been suspended for gambling, er ,playing minor league baseball for those two years. Everything is true that you printed, and he is one of the all time greats, but not the GOAT.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:17 PM   #5
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Earl Manigault.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:42 AM   #6
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Just a few names Bob Mc Adoo, Wilt Chamberlain, John Havlicek, Rick Barry, Julius Erving,
Old 11-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
The Power Forward position has been locked up by Tim Duncan already. There's no disputing it.

Shooting Guard will be locked up by Michael Jordan of course.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #8
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Just a few names Bob Mc Adoo, Wilt Chamberlain, John Havlicek, Rick Barry, Julius Erving,
The 70's goat team
Old 11-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
The Power Forward position has been locked up by Tim Duncan already. There's no disputing it.

In 1962 Wilt Chamberlain averaged 50 points and 25 rebounds a game. 'Nuff said, "Wilt the Stilt",is THE GOAT at center. Locked down, through away the key.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post

I always considered Duncan as a Center, but he really was a tweener

Jordan was one of my favorites, but I put Maravich because I really think he was the Best Hoops player ever. If I had started a College GOAT, he should certainly be there!

Pete Maravich, who averaged 44.2 points per game over three seasons for LSU, holds the NCAA Division I scoring record with 3,667 points. There was no 3 Point Shots and he only played 3 Years (No freshmen back then).

He went to a Bad NBA Team with Teammates that resented how much he made. Went to the Jazz where he was All NBA 1st Team. Then destroyed his knee and finished with the Celtics. He was also one of the best passers ever. In an April 2010 interview, Hall of Fame player John Havlicek said that "the best ball-handler of all time was Pete Maravich"

Also, after his NBA Career was over, I got to play hoops with him at Clearwater Christian Academy ( I played Ball in College). How many people get to play with their boyhood hero?

He ended up dying playing a pick-up game
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #11
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
No GOAT team has any credibility unless it contains Michael Jordan and LeBron James.

Then I'll flesh it out with Wilt Chamberlain, Tim Duncan, and I'll let Magic Johnson play point guard.
Iron Lung Jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:17 AM   #12
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
No GOAT team has any credibility unless it contains Michael Jordan and LeBron James.

Then I'll flesh it out with Wilt Chamberlain, Tim Duncan, and I'll let Magic Johnson play point guard.
Not a bad list, right there.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #13
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
You could make the argument Duncan was a center, Greg P often had Duncan playing the position since the Spurs' offense never required a true center.

As far as stats and positions go, I'd definitely say that Duncan was the greatest PF of all time without question.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #14
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Center - Shaq
Power Forward - Tim Duncan
Small Forward - Lebron James
Shooting Guard - Michael Jordan
Point Guard - Magic Johnson

The rest are pretty universally legit except for Center but here's why I made my choice: Shaq would've been dominant in all eras from the beginning to Today...in his prime, no one could defend him. He scored, handled the ball like a PG, had tons of assists, rebounds and blocks. His only holes were Free Throws and crappy movies.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote