Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
jsd

Drives: 2012 ZL 1 #370
How to reduce the rattling noise on brake pads?

Hi guys

My car has 32000 km. Since it have 25000 on the clock the brakepads beginns to make some rattling noise on bumpy road. I know its maybe an luxurios problem for you, but this drives me crazy. I love to drive around with open windows, and the noise becomes even louder. Why i am sure then this are the pads, i was looking under the car and checked all. Then i try to drive the same street with just a little pressure on the brake, and the noise is gone.

I know, maybe i just need to replace the pads to new ones. But this is just my last option, of cause the pads have just 32000 km on it.

Somebody an idea how to solve or reduce this problem?

Thanks in advance

Regards from Switzerland

Jacek
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Sounds like loose suspension to me....

I'd jack it up and check all the suspension bolts and make sure they are to torq specs.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
jsd

Thanks for the reply. All bolts and suspension parts are checked. And how i wrote, not noise with a bit pressed brakepedal. So for me is clear. It must be the pad.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #4
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
If it really is the pad then this is your answer...

jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayno20 View Post
If it really is the pad then this is your answer...

English is obviously OP second language. This is not cool.

OP, brake pads are cheap and take no time to change. Replace and seat them correctly and enjoy your car.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
English is obviously OP second language. This is not cool.

OP, brake pads are cheap and take no time to change. Replace and seat them correctly and enjoy your car.
Kinda agree. If the pads are the only thing then a new set should fix the issue....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #7
RandRSS

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Eforce SC
So not joking, many years ago they used to supply a tube of rtv type silicone, with new brake pads. It "stuck" the pads to the pistons. Don't know if this is applicable or not, but if you have pads that have only worn a MM or two, might be worth a try. Use sparingly.
RandRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #8
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandRSS View Post
So not joking, many years ago they used to supply a tube of rtv type silicone, with new brake pads. It "stuck" the pads to the pistons. Don't know if this is applicable or not, but if you have pads that have only worn a MM or two, might be worth a try. Use sparingly.
Same stuff I pictured above.
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
beersngars
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Forget the disc brake goo. It didn't work years ago and wont work now. If the pads are really rattling around in the caliper bracket, I would look at the hardware. There are anti-rattle clips between the pads and caliper mounting bracket. Replace the hardware and put a thin layer of silicone grease on all the contact surfaces. Be careful not to use too much. If that doesn't do it, like others have said, replace the pads.
beersngars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #10
jsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by beersngars View Post
Forget the disc brake goo. It didn't work years ago and wont work now. If the pads are really rattling around in the caliper bracket, I would look at the hardware. There are anti-rattle clips between the pads and caliper mounting bracket. Replace the hardware and put a thin layer of silicone grease on all the contact surfaces. Be careful not to use too much. If that doesn't do it, like others have said, replace the pads.
I was thinking a solution like you purpose, but i wasn't sure if something like the anti-rattle clips are installed on the zl1. I will try this and order in the same new pads.

Thank you guys for all the input and excuse my bad english

Jacek