The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
ewynn9

Drives: IOM 1LT/RS
Any electrical engineers here?

Currently working on my associates and taking trig right now. I've been told that taking trig before pre Cal and Cal 1-4 is the best way to go so I'm doing that. Only about 20ish credits from finishing my AofS.

Any other advice? What type of electrical courses should I look for?

I was gonna go aerospace and either specialize or stay general but decided to go pure electrical. I already have real world electrical experience on large recon planes and currently working on the electrical side of control system assemblies.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2
Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
you would probably be better off having this moved to off-topic.

i can only assume you haven't taken any of the general physics courses if you're only in trig, correct?
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
ewynn9

Drives: IOM 1LT/RS
Crap,I thought I was in the off topic when I made this thread. Damn tapatalk. I'm sure it will get moved shortly.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2
Old 03-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
Disclaimer* I am a chemical engineer, but I have a few friends who took electrical engineering and a few chemical engineer friends who to EE classes.

You are still quite a way out before you can take the basic EE courses. You need to finish Calc 1-3 (not sure what 4 is) and differential equations before you can even take Circuits (one of the core courses in EE). Most electrical engineering problems require the solution of differential equations. Good luck!
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
ibmrs

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IBM
I know when i went (now we are talking 25 yrs ago), you didn't have much choice in any core courses at all. I recall only about 3 electives for the whole 4/5 yr period. Once you are done with general college requirements (English/Social Sciences), sciences (Physics/Chem/Systems Dynamics), math (Eng Calc 1-3/Diff Eq), general Engineering (Thermodynamics/Materials), then specifics of Electrical Eng, there won't be much left.

If you are really aggressive you could double major, Computer Engineering was only about 4-5 courses different from electrical when i went, i took the computer engineering route myself.

The whole recommended core classes and when to take them should be late out be the college of engineering, make sure to talk with them, they will make sure you are on track.

If you would like to step outside engineering, you could take electives in business management/other business college, that would give you at least a feeling for the environment you will eventually be making money in.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmrs View Post
I know when i went (now we are talking 25 yrs ago), you didn't have much choice in any core courses at all. I recall only about 3 electives for the whole 4/5 yr period. Once you are done with general college requirements (English/Social Sciences), sciences (Physics/Chem/Systems Dynamics), math (Eng Calc 1-3/Diff Eq), general Engineering (Thermodynamics/Materials), then specifics of Electrical Eng, there won't be much left.

If you are really aggressive you could double major, Computer Engineering was only about 4-5 courses different from electrical when i went, i took the computer engineering route myself.

The whole recommended core classes and when to take them should be late out be the college of engineering, make sure to talk with them, they will make sure you are on track.

If you would like to step outside engineering, you could take electives in business management/other business college, that would give you at least a feeling for the environment you will eventually be making money in.
The electives you take depend on the school. I'm an EE, and my advice would be to go into the power side of things. Not very glamorous, but power companies and utilities CAN NOT find qualified personnel and are cherry picking each other to get folks to work. Become a transmission or substation engineer, and you will never be out of work.

On a side note, my son is in AP physics and they are now doing the electrical part. Funny to remember how hard it seemed to figure out what parallel and series meant and how to calculate resistances and power.