The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 12-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Stingray949

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51
My tips for keeping rear end & exhaust tips clean.

I have an Arctic White Z51, and as you guys have already discovered, keeping the rear end of the car and exhaust tips clean is a huge pain in the a$$. One drive and you have black exhaust crap on your tail pipes and black dirt / debris stuck on the rear end.

Here is what I do:

Clean and polish the entire back end, including exhaust tips. I used Dawn liquid soap first, then clay barred, then polished with Adams Fine Machine polish and my orbital DA. You can polish by hand if you would like.

Once everything is nice and cleaned / polished, apply very generous coatings of Rejex on the rear end and exhaust tips. Let it dry to a haze and buff off with a microfiber.

Put a second coat of Rejex on, let haze, and buff off again.

You will now notice the rear end and exhaust tips will have 50%+ less debris and gunk that 'sticks' to the car. When cleaning off, I just moisten a microfiber with Adams Detail Spray, spray some on the car, and wipe off. It glides right off because the crap sticks to Rejex vs. the paint. And Rejex works awesome because the gunk does not like to 'stick' to it, but loves to stick to the paint.

This keeps the car looking clean a lot more as it normally gets dirty right when it hits the road so it never truly looks as clean as can be when driving. At least on my Arctic White!

Feel free to do the whole car this way. Rejex lasts longer than wax and repels dirt and debris than any other wax on the market. It can last 8-12 months too. For maintenance, just wash using wax-friendly soap.. i use a pressure washer and foam lance + Honeydew snow foam in a foam lance, and dry with a leaf blower + adams detail spray & microfibers.
Stingray949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
I have not heard of Rejex before. What is it and who makes it?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Here's my regimen - opti coat is permanent so you have none of the reapplying...I used rejex for years...great stuff -

It is so easy to get 2x the pop out of your pipes with the right tools. The tool that makes this work is called a Mother's Power Cone avail at any parts store. You can do this in 10 min with a drill, no sweat at all. The Borla exhaust metal polish is great - off amazon. Apply the paste to the cone, stick it on the drill, and power away. You can not do it too much but 10 secs on each pipe will get results...Once polished, buff it off and spray with alcohol to clean it and apply a few drops of opti coat if oyu want to seal inthe gloss (optional) ...done for months...the soot now will just wipe of easily, gloss is preserved.

Before - these are clean and scrubbed:

But wow! they can get much better polished:

And they really pop from far away now...as they were meant to be...

and optional, a few drops of OC 2.0:

BTW, the power cone is fantastic for wax on wheels....

Mods (overflow) - please move this thread to washing/detailing....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
Stingray949

Hey Glen great advice! I actually a fan of opti-coat, but the only thing is it does not have the "rejection" properties of Rejex I have seen. It does not prevent the rear end dirt/gunk from sticking to the paint like Rejex does.

I was initially going to mention opti-coat after the polish part, but didn't want to complicate it. It really is a great product. The best way would actually be to seal the paint with Opti, then apply Rejex on top of that to protect the opti-coat and prevent dirt from sticking to that surface. Rejex can last a long time, up to 12 months, so it actually helps with the longevity of the permanent coat and requires very little reapplication. Since opti doesn't break down like wax, Rejex will stay put on it.

Also, Rejex on wheels works great. I have Rejex on my wheels and exhaust tips and a simple wipe makes them nice and shiny again.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
Glen e

It does for me.....as long as applied with good surface prep

I used Rejex for years and love it, but have moved to wipe-on-walk-away polymers (like Rejex) that apply without buffing and self cure. My latest favorite is Sonax Netshield.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Stingray949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
It does for me.....as long as applied with good surface prep

I used Rejex for years and love it, but have moved to wipe-on-walk-away polymers (like Rejex) that apply without buffing and self cure. My latest favorite is Sonax Netshield.
Hey Glen, Netshield is a great product too! I have used it with great results.

I love the WOWA products myself. In fact, I have used many and have been using Meguiars D156 Synthetic X-press spray wax and love it. It is even easier than the mentioned WOWA products. It is polymer based, and amazingly easy to apply. After washing your car, just spray this on the paint like a quick detailer and D156 acts as a drying agent. It leaves the paint super glossy and beads water better than Blackfire's products and even Netshield. It's easy to reapply, but only lasts about a month or so. BUT- you use it while drying a washed car so reapplication is done while drying so it adds no extra time.

I do recommend a solid base under it such as Opti-coat, Blackfire, or even Klasse's acrylic sealant. You would be very impressed with D156 and recommend you give it a shot!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray949 View Post
Hey Glen, Netshield is a great product too! I have used it with great results.

I love the WOWA products myself. In fact, I have used many and have been using Meguiars D156 Synthetic X-press spray wax and love it. It is even easier than the mentioned WOWA products. It is polymer based, and amazingly easy to apply. After washing your car, just spray this on the paint like a quick detailer and D156 acts as a drying agent. It leaves the paint super glossy and beads water better than Blackfire's products and even Netshield. It's easy to reapply, but only lasts about a month or so. BUT- you use it while drying a washed car so reapplication is done while drying so it adds no extra time.

I do recommend a solid base under it such as Opti-coat, Blackfire, or even Klasse's acrylic sealant. You would be very impressed with D156 and recommend you give it a shot!
yup, the WOWA products are so nice...I like the ones you spray on your car when it's wet before you dry...presto - instant sealant - Duragloss Aquawax and Prima Hydro are great examples....

I gotta stop buying stuff..Look familiar?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Stingray949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
yup, the WOWA products are so nice...I like the ones you spray on your car when it's wet before you dry...presto - instant sealant - Duragloss Aquawax and Prima Hydro are great examples....

I gotta stop buying stuff..Look familiar?
Too funny!

Looks very familiar, I have so many products that I've used and have bottles everywhere. My wife thinks I have an obsession with buying and experimenting with detailing products rather than driving the car lol. I'm kind of a clean freak with my cars though, after every drive I quick detail the car and exhaust dips. I've had it for 2 months and I'll tell you that I've only washed it with water once. The rest of the time it has been quick detailed and hit with rinseless wash. Nothing abrasive will ever touch the paint on my car.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray949 View Post
Too funny!

The rest of the time it has been quick detailed and hit with rinseless wash. Nothing abrasive will ever touch the paint on my car.
i wish more people would investigate rinseless - esp the garry dean method....My last two cars have never seen a hose...ever ....and they don't have a single scratch on them after two rinseless washes a week...it is so easy and takes 20 min...The turtle wax product is good and local at wal mart