Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #99
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Good post dragon.
I was going to say the same thing about the ls6. I know this is an awesome car but do you think they are going to beat the mustang by maybe 130 hp? LS6 is a great engine and does make alot more sense. I bet they will use the ls3 later on in the cars future.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #100
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The LS6 is rather old, now...isn't it? From what I've heard about it (never driven it) It offered the same if not a little more power than the LS2, but terrible mileage.

The LS3 will undoubtedly make it into Camaro, There's still the chance that they offer 4 engines...2 V6's and 2 V8's, if they do - the LS3 will be the Top V8. It's always been a trend, whatever motor the Vette has base, the Camaro gets as it's top. I can't see why that trend isn't continued. Even if the only offer 2 engines V6, and V8, then I can still see the LS3 being the V8.

I have often said this; I have nothing against the LS3 going into the Camaro, in fact, I've posted a lot of reasons why it CAN go into a cost-freindly Camaro. If it does, Good Job, GM But the lack of DoD, and/or VVT intimidates me a little. GM is in a bit of a rut with the Fuel Economy standards, and RWD V8 vehicles. For an engine premiering after the LS2, you'd think it would have these features.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #101
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
I dont know dragon...I think 26 mpg is great for a V8 sports car that dosent have dod/vvt its better than what the stock V6 2002 camaro gets. with or without dod/vvt I think the general will do us right

yeah the LS6 is old news by the way.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:58 PM   #102
bcannan354

Drives: 1968 Camaro
What are your thoughts on the Camaro having the LS3 motor available when it is finally available. I mean as an option or something?

If there is a "top dog" available when it is released what motor will be in it?

It would chap my A$$ if I bought the first model year and found out the next model year was getting the LS3.
bcannan354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #103
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
If we didnt get the LS3 till the second year then Id wait to get that. I agree though that if we got anything but the LS3, or GM offered the LS3 and something else it might be the L76 its got 362hp stock, DoD, LS7 style heads. I think the L76 can be modded (engine internal upgrade) to get 400+hp. like the L92 it will take modifications well.with that being said as well the LS3. but personally I think we will see the LS3, camaro SS usually gets the base vette's engine...which is now the LS3.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:50 AM   #104
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
What I think is really cool is the fact that the 08 Malibu gets a V6 mated to a six speed transmission. GM is really going all out to save on gas and make these cars more efficient. They, IMO, should scrap all the A4 trannys in place of 6spd's. This would save GM $$$ in the long run and make for a more fuel efficient vehicle. It's a win/win for all.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #105
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
What I think is really cool is the fact that the 08 Malibu gets a V6 mated to a six speed transmission. GM is really going all out to save on gas and make these cars more efficient. They, IMO, should scrap all the A4 trannys in place of 6spd's. This would save GM $$$ in the long run and make for a more fuel efficient vehicle. It's a win/win for all.
They are scrapping the A4. I forgot where I read it, but 6-months to a year from initial release, they're going to offer a 4-cyllinder/6 speed combo: a segment first.

They also said that they will start producing the six-speed auto at a US plant, as opposed to the current Korea one, which will be capable of 500,000 trannys a year. :eek:

This six-speed auto is really the latest-greatest thing for GM. It's one of the most versatile trannys....EVER!
Old 09-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #106
Mr. Wyndham

GM just updated their Engine/tranny specs site. TR-6060 and LS3 info on there.

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...ars/index.html
Old 09-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #107
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Very interesting read. A little disappointed at the lack of DOD (Maybe later?) but glad that it avoids the gas guzzler tax. It was very interesting about the extra 6 horses with the optional exhaust system.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #108
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
Maybe they will offer the l76 for better mileage and the ls3 for better performance, and reveal both up front so people can decide if they want to give up a little performance for better mileage? Just a thought.
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #109
Mr. Wyndham

I wouldn't doubt it. it hasn't been confirmed "officially" but after putting together clues, and hints - there's a really good chance of having 2 V8 choices.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #110
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
Well, I mean people are worried that if they don't release the ls3 right away, it's going to hurt the first year sales. So maybe if they do hold out at first, they will at least let people know what the choices are, because in IMO, 2 different v8's, 1 for performance and the other for better mileage, is a damn good idea. But who knows

HURRY UP AND FINISH THIS CAR I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER lol
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #111
Mr. Wyndham

Somebody mentioned wanting the Auto or manual as a no-cost option....they might get it!

Quote:
All 2008 Corvettes have a six-speed manual gearbox as standard, while a six-speed paddle-shift automatic is a no-cost option for the base coupe and convertible.

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/cor...08/review.html
I also found this in the same article that sort of argues with the above statement...

Quote:
Standard on the coupe and drop top are xenon headlamps, keyless entry and startup, full power accessories, satellite radio, a CD player and audio input jack, OnStar telematics, auto-dimming mirrors all around, leather seating, a six-way power driver seat and dual-zone automatic climate control.
So the coupe and drop-top comes standard with a manual, and a keyless entry?!?!!
I was more interested in the no-cost option of an Auto-tranny.
but, hmmm
Old 09-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #112
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Just about all cars get keyless entry now...it's the keyless startup that really interests me.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote