Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #71
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz Camaro View Post
I have not heard any mention of this and thought this might be the correct thread to post this on; As I recall, the LT1 in my '94 Impala SS came with (a measly) 260 HP, while the same year LT1 Camaro was like 275 HP and then the same year LT1 Corvette was 300 HP.
SO, while I am highly excited about a 450ish HP LS3 in the 5th gen, with all the talk about the 2008 Corvette specifications being released THIS WEEKEND, rumor has it that it may be 430 HP, I could see another LS3 with what, 405 HP maybe?
I guess my point is, there could be a variety of LS3s with different HP ratings (different cam grinds, different computer programming, different exhaust, injection or supercharged, etc.) available for different applications (Camaro base V8, SS, Z28, even Impala SS and so on) as opposed to LS3 OR L92.
I'm sure others have considered this but I just don't think I've read it. What do you think 3whiterag?
Ken

I am not sure I understand your point completely. I think what you are saying is not to expect the LS3 to be rated at 430 HP accross the board on all applications,which I would agree with. I mean, I doubt they will be using the same exhaust, intake, heads, cam, etc for all applications. I think the LS3 in the vette is expected to use the L92 intake and L76 heads which is a great combo! I wouldn't expect this on other applications because of the cost.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #72
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
My guess is they'll do what they did with the C5/4th gen LS1s. The C5 vette with the LS1 was rated at 350 HP, while the 4th gen LS1 Camaros and Firebirds were grossly underrated at 325 HP. Both the 'vette and the F-Body dynoed with similiar wheel HP numbers.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #73
mark

Drives: Z06
Wonder why the LS2 lived such a short life in the corvette? I guess basically you could call it a generation 3.5 motor and the ls3 a 4th generation. I'd be more than happy with 450+ HP, I'd also love to hear a build date of the Camaro.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #74
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Wonder why the LS2 lived such a short life in the corvette? I guess basically you could call it a generation 3.5 motor and the ls3 a 4th generation. I'd be more than happy with 450+ HP, I'd also love to hear a build date of the Camaro.
I have wondered the saem thing. I mean, the LS2 had a lifecycle of 2 years? I guess you have to keep up with the joneses.

Either way, I am not complaining.... 6.2L with 430 HP (and you know there is room for more) is fine by me. I do have to wonder though.... how big can you make the bore in the LS series engine before you start creating other problems?
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #75
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
LS3 specs

apparently the LS3 is replacing the LS2 in the 08 or 09 vette.
its a 6.3L 378 cubic inches with 430 hp, and 424 ft lbs of torque...so if this is the engine that in the 09 camaro's Im pleased. Id still love to have a LS7 under the hood. from what I hear its supposed to get up to 190 mhp, and 0-60 time of 4.3s.

Last edited by TFord; 05-25-2007 at 04:30 PM.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #76
Bait8
Balance

Drives: A torque-less wonder.
The LS7 is fast as all hell. The new ZO6 scared the shit out of every car reviewer and the thing has world record acceleration out of factor for that low of a price. I don't work or know anything that GM is thinking, I don't know what the power plant they will use be but one thing(all though stinky) I am sure of is that we are NOT getting the LS7 :(...to much money for a Camaro and way to much competition for GM's own Corvette that it would make their marketing division grind their teeth. If we get the LS2 and the vette upgrades to the LS3 then in order for say the SS Camaro to get the LS7 the vette would need some kind of a super LS8 or something, just not happening.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today" - James Dean
Bait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #77
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
apparently with the last year of the C6 series corvette, they are coming out with Z07 its a supercharged LS2 (or LS3) pushing 650 hp. I forget what they had in mind for the base C7 model...its in the new popular hotrodding
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:00 PM   #78
theonlyoneleft

Drives: 1995 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to theonlyoneleft
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
apparently the LS3 is replacing the LS2 in the 08 or 09 vette.
its a 6.3L 378 cubic inches with 430 hp, and 424 ft lbs of torque...so if this is the engine that in the 09 camaro's Im pleased. Id still love to have a LS7 under the hood. from what I hear its supposed to get up to 190 mhp, and 0-60 time of 4.3s.
I think it probably will be. Looking passed the "information leaks", etc, look at it this way. The LS3 is coming out 1 year before the release of the Camaro. That's probably not too much of a coincidence. Why would GM release the LS3 with the Corvette and then shortly after release the Camaro with an older engine? A Camaro with an LS3 is likely to be priced say 8,000 to 10,000 dollars under the base vette with the same engine (so like 33-35k ish). The vette will have superior handling, suspension, GPS, and to top it off is overall more of a "luxury" car. I'd say the Camaro can definitely have an LS3 and stay cost effective without stealing any Corvette sales or anything.

Bring on the LS3!
theonlyoneleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #79
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I still can't see the Camaro going into the mid- 30,000's It can't happen, that's just too much, all they'll be selling is V6's......NOT COOL.

And I can see an LS7 Camaro, however, as the equivalant to a GT500: ie. limited production, expensive as hell, and of course mean as hell!

But better than that Shelby $h!t
Old 05-26-2007, 11:15 PM   #80
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I still can't see the Camaro going into the mid- 30,000's It can't happen, that's just too much, all they'll be selling is V6's......NOT COOL.

And I can see an LS7 Camaro, however, as the equivalant to a GT500: ie. limited production, expensive as hell, and of course mean as hell!

But better than that Shelby $h!t

I can see 30+, but not going too high...or I won't be getting one. And yes...they surely won't sell as many...even if they are making less of the Z28's and SS models.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:57 PM   #81
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Gorgeous rides you have...beautiful.

Love that Z06 of J's as well....I'm crying too. I WANT ONE!!

Thanks very Much! I have a very, very, very, very understanding wife! To a point.....I think she has reached it now.

Also, as far as LS2's are concerned, we a phasing out of them and building LS3's.
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #82
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3whiterag View Post
Also, as far as LS2's are concerned, we a phasing out of them and building LS3's.
I know that this post is over a month old, and not very on-topic...but what kind of Timetable is there for the LS2's death (or retirement, pick which you like). Years, months, weeks? I would just like an Idea. And not just for Camaro reasons only.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #83
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I know that this post is over a month old, and not very on-topic...but what kind of Timetable is there for the LS2's death (or retirement, pick which you like). Years, months, weeks? I would just like an Idea. And not just for Camaro reasons only.

As of today, we are building more and more LS3's and less and less Ls2 engines. I am not sure at this time of its actual demise, but it won;t be long. The local Corvette Club, the Niagara Corvette Club had a show this weekend (Sunday) on the Niagara River Parkway at Reif Wineries and it was open to all vehicles. the first place trophies for all generations of Corvette and the Peoples' Choice Corvette were LS3 Piston and Rods mounted on a pedestal. Similar to this one I won last year at our event (The GM Powertrain St. Catharines Show & Shine) in August.

This is an LS2 P & R with the rings. So cool, even if I say so myself. The NCC was extremely happy we were able to give them these trophies.
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:09 PM   #84
Mr. Wyndham

Those are cool!

And thanks for the info. That's all I really wanted to know.