Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
SS785

Drives: Camaro SS
Do you run your CAI intake without the top lid?

I understand the lid acts as a seal against the engine compartment air but I would like to know if anybody doesn't put it on. If you keep yours on, no need to post (I already know most do). I want to hear from those that don't and whats your reason/impression.
SS785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Why would you run it without the top? The top edge of the box isn't tall enough to seal itself against the hood. That would allow you to suck in hot air from the engine bay.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
DRKnight1SS
The Dude

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS M6
I'm interested in their opinions too. I've heard of people removing the lid as well. I personally don't do it but want to see what they say.

Sent using Tapatalk on my Note 2.
CAE intake, Borla Type S exhaust, TSP LT headers, stage 2 CMS cam tuned by Ryne, MGW short shifter, Carbon fiber Anvil trunk spoiler, Havoc rear diffuser with carbon fiber insert, GM GFX side skirts, ACS T4 front lip spoiler, 20" MRR 228 Gloss Black Wheels wrapped in Nitto INVO rubber, carbon fiber radio fin, Wilpak black rear window louvers.
DRKnight1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
You may as well just use a K&N if your gonna do that. That's like inviting the hot air in?? Why would you want to try that?
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
I took the 'glass out of the lid but I've got a functioning Cowl hood and there is a gasket that goes there in place of the 'glass
Old 05-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
DRKnight1SS
The Dude

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Why would you run it without the top? The top edge of the box isn't tall enough to seal itself against the hood. That would allow you to suck in hot air from the engine bay.
Pretty sure he understands that if you read his post he is questioning why some people do remove it

CAE intake, Borla Type S exhaust, TSP LT headers, stage 2 CMS cam tuned by Ryne, MGW short shifter, Carbon fiber Anvil trunk spoiler, Havoc rear diffuser with carbon fiber insert, GM GFX side skirts, ACS T4 front lip spoiler, 20" MRR 228 Gloss Black Wheels wrapped in Nitto INVO rubber, carbon fiber radio fin, Wilpak black rear window louvers.
DRKnight1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKnight1SS View Post
Pretty sure he understands that if you read his post he is questioning why some people do remove it

Who has done it? I've never heard of anyone doing that. There is absolutely zero benefit and a definite disadvantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
I took the 'glass out of the lid but I've got a functioning Cowl hood and there is a gasket that goes there in place of the 'glass
Now this is common for those that have a ram air hood. It's not really off but the glass is out and CAI makes a addon to the lid to help it seal against the ram air opening.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 05-11-2013, 02:51 AM   #8
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
I took off the lid AND the filter. If you're gonna go...go all the way!!!
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:56 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS785 View Post
I understand the lid acts as a seal against the engine compartment air but I would like to know if anybody doesn't put it on. If you keep yours on, no need to post (I already know most do). I want to hear from those that don't and whats your reason/impression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
What Nutro is describing is a fairly common mod for those running the correct hood, but I have never seen nor would I recommend running without the lid on a CAI Inc intake. It would result in noticeable power loss.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #10
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
What Nutro is describing is a fairly common mod for those running the correct hood, but I have never seen nor would I recommend running without the lid on a CAI Inc intake. It would result in noticeable power loss.
On the contrary Chase, but you did say with the correct hood. I run the MPD1 Z-Force hood, it's a true ram induction hood with a gasket placed right over the space where the plexiglass lid was. Bill from CAI, Inc made me a custom one without the plexi lid attached. If you're running that hood or any ram air hood the lid should be removed, you Will see a power gain. See pics below. Windshield wiper fluid tank has been converted for Meth & I'm over 700 RWHP
Attached Images

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
purv24

Drives: Black 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
I took off the lid AND the filter. If you're gonna go...go all the way!!!

Hell yeah... I take off the whole intake, and the hood!!! jk

But physics tell me, if your car is sitting there, without the lid your engine will suck in hot air.

But as far as driving, the cool air will be pushed thru the radiator, and push the hot air from the motor out towards the back of the hood right?

I mean, the optimum setup is to have it closed off to get as cool air as possible, but its not like with the lid off itll all just be as hot as the motor
purv24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronix View Post
On the contrary Chase, but you did say with the correct hood. I run the MPD1 Z-Force hood, it's a true ram induction hood with a gasket placed right over the space where the plexiglass lid was. Bill from CAI, Inc made me a custom one without the plexi lid attached. If you're running that hood or any ram air hood the lid should be removed, you Will see a power gain. See pics below. Windshield wiper fluid tank has been converted for Meth & I'm over 700 RWHP
I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. The "correct hood" set up I was referring to is what you are running. That is the only application in which it makes sense to open up the top of a CAI Inc intake. Simply running without a lid like the OP described would allow hot air in and harm performance.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Um, isn't your ram air hood considered the "correct hood"?
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 05-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. The "correct hood" set up I was referring to is what you are running. That is the only application in which it makes sense to open up the top of a CAI Inc intake. Simply running without a lid like the OP described would allow hot air in and harm performance.
No Chase I understood exactly what you're saying, that's why I said what I said below in bold. Believe me, you've helped me enough that I know you know what you're talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Um, isn't your ram air hood considered the "correct hood"?
Same answer that I gave above, I understood EXACTLY what was said and yes, I know I have the correct hood, I built it that way. From a few of your posts above I see reading comprehension isn't a strong point, I guess I'll have to be simpler next time.

Quote:

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote