The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 06-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
cpsheba

Drives: 2LT Velocity Yellow Z51
C7 Horrible Chemical Odor

Hi all,

New to the forum, and a lurker up until now! I just picked up my Velocity Yellow 2LT Z51 on Monday. The car was manufactured on May 23, 2014, and the smell inside the car is terrible. I garage the car, and the first night I brought it home I wiped down the interior and left the windows rolled down to see if some of the odor would dissipate. All that accomplished was the interior of the house starting to smell like the car...LOL The odor is so strong it gives you a headache and makes you kind of nauseous if you stay in the car for more than 10 or 15 minutes. I have contacted my local dealer, they said this is the first they have heard of this issue. They said I could bring it down and leave it for a while and they would try and pinpoint where the smell could be coming from...at this point I said thanks, but no thanks to that offer. I think it's coming from all over the car, what are they going to pin point?

Well after that long story, does anyone have any idea how long this smell should linger before I should get truly concerned that it isn't going to go away?

Thanks for any help/info provided. Other than the smell, the car is awesome!!

cpsheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
Jerseyed

Drives: 2010 Lexus, 2014 Z51 C7 on order
I would still see if the dealer could identify the problem, as unusual as it is. This would also get you on record stating that the car smell is intense. Best of luck.
Jerseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
noname

Drives: 3LT Z51
It's probably just the new car smell. My wife finds it pungent as you do.
When I first got my car, it would smell up the garage. At work, I could smell the car from 50 yards away. Personally, I like the smell.

Six months and 3000 miles later, I still smell it. My last new car took about a year for the smell to go away.
Keep the windows down and let it air out, particularly in the sun, and the smell seems to dissipate.
Better yet, do what I do, and take it to the track. Then you'll smell the tires and brakes much more, and you'll appreciate what a machine you have!
noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
chazysoccer11

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS
The smell that I love. It's been a week with my car now, everytime I walk into the garage, it smells like heaven. I'm doing everything I can to keep that smell lol.

In your case, I would just keep the windows rolled down. Get a bunch of fresh air moving in the garage. It shouldn't take long to get rid of the new car smell.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
cpsheba

Drives: 2LT Velocity Yellow Z51
Hey, thanks for the replys! I did notice this morning that the smell had dissipated a fair amount after driving with the windows down for quite a while yesterday.

@noname Your right, that's what I should do..lol I had to pick the car up a couple hundred miles from my home, and it was tough being "good" on the way home. I really wanted to open her up coming across SR 60 in FL!

Thanks again!
cpsheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
That chemical smell is just resin they used in the fiber glass. It will dissipate over time as the fiber glass continues curing.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Ret9580

Drives: '99 Sienna till '15 Ray is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazysoccer11 View Post
The smell that I love. It's been a week with my car now, everytime I walk into the garage, it smells like heaven. I'm doing everything I can to keep that smell lol.
I love that new car smell too.
Ret9580 is offline   Reply With Quote