Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #29
Sweptwing

Drives: 2017 2LT RS V6 M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by upwgdrb View Post
I am looking hard at a couple of Camaro 2SS’. My current car is is 2016 Corvette 2lt with Z51 and M7. Unfortunately my car had the oil pump failure at 15,000 mile and I have lost some confidence in it lasting.

The cars available in my area have the A10 vs the M6.

Has anybody gone from a manual to the A10 and what are your thoughts afterwards?
Have look at this,

https://youtu.be/oaUCdAdaaj8
Old 02-07-2021, 09:01 AM   #30
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned the manual mode in the A8 and A10. And no...I'm not talking about using the tap-shift paddles behind the steering wheel. In my opinion, using these is not much like driving a manual transmission at all. I'm talking about using the shifter, both for putting the car in manual mode (slap it to the left) AND for up/down-shifting.

Now, before everyone protests that only someone who hasn't driven a stick would compare these two, I owned two manual transmission Camaros, a 1983 Berlinetta (5-speed) that I drove for 20 years and a 2002 Z28 (6 speed) that I drove for 7 years.

Using the shifter (push forward to up-shift and pull back to down-shift) is very satisfying in terms of having control over what gear you're in and when. You can downshift with perfect rev matching every time, and switch back to automatic mode immediately whenever you want. Closest experience to driving a manual you can get in an automatic--just no clutch. Best of both worlds!
I know exactly what you're getting at, having driven some other car with an automatic that offered both the paddles and a shift-lever option for manually commanded gear shifting.

If you are coming from years of manual transmission driving, the shift lever will most likely feel more natural to you. It's about as close as you can make driving an automatic feel like driving a car with a stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Haven’t even played with that.

Will definitely have to try it.
Not sure, but I have a sneaking suspicion that shift-lever-commanded shifts might feel a little less "delayed" compared to using the paddles, even if the actual shift time remains the same.

Norm
Old 02-07-2021, 09:51 AM   #31
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweptwing View Post
Have look at this,

https://youtu.be/oaUCdAdaaj8
Coincidently I just watched this while grinding coffee beans and making my own coffee in a French press. So much better than instant! Brilliant comparison!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #32
Bruizer

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Turbo and/or making big hp: Auto.
DD in traffic, or medical condition that warrants: Auto.
Everything else: M6 for me.

Rebuilding my auto tranny in the tt C6 is twice the cost as an M6 to hold the same amount of power.
Bruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:57 AM   #33
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I know exactly what you're getting at, having driven some other car with an automatic that offered both the paddles and a shift-lever option for manually commanded gear shifting.

If you are coming from years of manual transmission driving, the shift lever will most likely feel more natural to you. It's about as close as you can make driving an automatic feel like driving a car with a stick.

Not sure, but I have a sneaking suspicion that shift-lever-commanded shifts might feel a little less "delayed" compared to using the paddles, even if the actual shift time remains the same.

Norm
I didn’t even know it had both options.

With the paddles I found, on the SS & the Z, I had to hit the paddle a few hundred RPM sooner than my target RPM to stay off the rev-limiter. With soooo many gears it’s a lot of time my focus is on that. The HUD display helps now though.

In a straight line the shift lever would be fine. In corners the paddles are preferred.

The shifting in the programming is so tight I have actually gotten used not even bothering using manual mode unless putting around town to hold out the gears to hear the exhaust or select a gear for passing.

In practical application I can roll out & ease into the throttle, increasing throttle as it goes through the gears, hitting WOT by about 40mph & within seconds I’m eclipsing 100mph. The tranny does it’s thing & I can focus on keeping it straight. Below that & the traction control is stepping in quite often.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 02-07-2021 at 12:08 PM.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #34
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
The A10 is a phenomenal tranny, but I personally feel it needs to be tuned with a performance mode that’s selectable on or off, including at low speeds. I drive a lot of small, twisty, hilly back roads (for enjoyment), between 15MPH - 60MPH. The car is always looking for the next up shift, or down shift, which it does with Cadillac type smoothness and efficiency. To me, that’s not a sporty / engaging experience, at light throttle. I’ve tried the paddles, and that works well, but, I occasionally have the music on at a stop light / sign and forget about being in manual mode..(oops). Not to mention, there’s a lot of paddle slapping when you have 10 gears and you want to hold 3K-4K rpm, at highly variable speeds on the twisty’s. I’d love for the car to do this work for me, automatically.

The above would be my only negative critique of the A10. And, I wouldn’t go back to manual over this Auto.

At some point, I’ll get a tune to modify shift points in either sport and or track mode(s), to fit my specific needs.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 02-07-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:39 PM   #35
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by upwgdrb View Post
I am looking hard at a couple of Camaro 2SS’. My current car is is 2016 Corvette 2lt with Z51 and M7. Unfortunately my car had the oil pump failure at 15,000 mile and I have lost some confidence in it lasting.

The cars available in my area have the A10 vs the M6.

Has anybody gone from a manual to the A10 and what are your thoughts afterwards?
I had a m6 2016 2SS which I loved but felt the call to go ZL1 as I passed on getting a C7. But since drag racing is a fun hobby, when I found out the M6 ZL1 has a bigger built-in Bog than my SS (another builtin bog here too), I decided to go A10. Owners have some trouble even gettinginto the 11s with a stock M6 ZL1. My 2016 with a light bolton setup was well into the 11s.

So I sold my 2SS privately (in 2 days LOL) and bought a $70K sticker A10 ZL1. That A10 is the most awesome automatic I have ever driven. It will come out to play banging up/down shifting with just a tap on the throttle. Fun.

But I did not want to torch my ZL1s resale value so no tune for me. However with some tires and a Rotofab I got into the 11.1s. Nice fun at first. But drag racing became boring. All I had to do was get a good launch, stomp on the throttle and hang on. Yawn. And a 10 second car is a waste on the street (to me). You cannot let it all hang out without risking yours and others lives.

So I dropped off the ZL1 at CarMax for $51K (much more than any dealer would give me on a trade) and ordered a loaded M6 LT1. The LX 5.0 and Road Runner vibe was a big draw for me. And I really missed my 2SS. I even tried to swap my ZL1 with the guy that bought my SS. No way was he giving up that M6 SS. He and his wife loved tearing up Autocross tracks with it.

After all that I ordered a loaded M6 LT1 and I paid just about the exact price I paid for my 2011 M6 SS. My LT1 is twice the sports/muscle car that SS was. You can bury me in it.

Whatever you do OP get an SS with the Recaros. And the TREMEC M6 in the SS will make you forget all about the clunky C7 M7. Or so I have heard from owners. I only took one test drive in one. You will love the Tremec and even the stock shifter is really good.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #36
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
The A10 is a phenomenal tranny, but I personally feel it needs to be tuned with a performance mode that’s selectable on or off, including at low speeds. I drive a lot of small, twisty, hilly back roads (for enjoyment), between 15MPH - 60MPH. The car is always looking for the next up shift, or down shift, which it does with Cadillac type smoothness and efficiency. To me, that’s not a sporty / engaging experience, at light throttle. I’ve tried the paddles, and that works well, but, I occasionally have the music on at a stop light / sign and forget about being in manual mode..(oops). Not to mention, there’s a lot of paddle slapping when you have 10 gears and you want to hold 3K-4K rpm, at highly variable speeds on the twisty’s. I’d love for the car to do this work for me, automatically.

The above would be my only negative critique of the A10. And, I wouldn’t go back to manual over this Auto.

At some point, I’ll get a tune to modify shift points in either sport and or track mode(s), to fit my specific needs.
Don’t experience this at all. Backroads in sport or track mode, A10 is a beast. Zero complaints.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:36 PM   #37
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
If you love to work the clutch and love to shift and not concerned about ever drag racing or roll racing, stick with the manual. Also AFM kind of softens the love for the A10 when used in auto mode. To fully exploit the like or love for the A10 you need to have AFM tuned out so you can drive in auto mode and enjoy it, otherwise you (like me) need to drive in manual mode all the time . I would rather drive a 6 or 7 speed manual trans especially around town than drive a A10 in manual mode around town. The manual cars have no AFM
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #38
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruizer View Post
Turbo and/or making big hp: Auto.
DD in traffic, or medical condition that warrants: Auto.
Everything else: M6 for me.

Rebuilding my auto tranny in the tt C6 is twice the cost as an M6 to hold the same amount of power.
Actually, no-lift shift helps with the boost drop issues between shifts. Manual Camaro's all have this feature other than the 2016 non-V8 models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHessler View Post
All my fun cars are manual trans, but I prefer the paddles for virtual racing. Go with your gut here.

Had a PDK type transmission been available I might have picked that option, but I've never been satisfied with the paddle shifted torque converter transmissions.
Funnily, I have attended a mini Camaro meet before and there was a guy in his very new A10 ZL1. He told us how nice the "DCT" is, and I informed him that it's a torque converter auto. He checked to see that I was right, and he said that the salesperson told him this, and he never doubted it due to how quick the shifts are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Norm
I find the opposite, even though I am used to shifting a manual trans.

Using the level is a bit weird because you still aren't using an H-pattern shifter, and depending on the manufacturer, the direction you push/pull the shifter in to upshift/downshift in is different. Very confusing if you are new to a car. Most paddle shifters seem to be consistent (unless you use the weird ones in some of the older Mazdas).

For the most part, I stick with the automatic mode unless I am doing very spirited driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
If you love to work the clutch and love to shift and not concerned about ever drag racing or roll racing, stick with the manual. Also AFM kind of softens the love for the A10 when used in auto mode. To fully exploit the like or love for the A10 you need to have AFM tuned out so you can drive in auto mode and enjoy it, otherwise you (like me) need to drive in manual mode all the time . I would rather drive a 6 or 7 speed manual trans especially around town than drive a A10 in manual mode around town. The manual cars have no AFM
Just as a footnote, M6 engines are the same as A10 engines, which means they still have the AFM hardware like the AFM lifters, but nothing is programmed to activate them. M7 C7 Corvettes actually take advantage of these and have AFM, but they only activate in ECO mode(which the M6 Camaro lacks). I actually tried it once in my M7 C7. Didn't hate it.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:40 PM   #39
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Just as a footnote, M6 engines are the same as A10 engines, which means they still have the AFM hardware like the AFM lifters, but nothing is programmed to activate them. M7 C7 Corvettes actually take advantage of these and have AFM, but they only activate in ECO mode(which the M6 Camaro lacks). I actually tried it once in my M7 C7. Didn't hate it.
I remember thinking it was a bit strange, the car feeling sleepy and anemic like a V6 at low rpms, as merely feathering the skinny pedal didn't bump it out of V4 mode. All V4 <-> V8 transitions were very smooth on mine, no clunks or clicks or sudden change in sound or vibration, but I definitely don't mind having it turned off.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:11 PM   #40
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
So, OP did you buy that EV yet?

If not, let me tell you -- it is faster, smoother, less maintenance, easier to drive, feels just like a torquey V8 - hell you cannot go wrong!
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:13 PM   #41
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
With the auto your just riding in the car has to be a manual to be driven... had the m6 in the 1le for 7 years just switched to the a10 1le. Great car but not the same experience. After 3 months I'm just starting to trust it.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:25 AM   #42
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_johnny View Post
All sports cars I have owned (save one) had manuals. Currently owner of a M6 and while I like autos it does take the fun out of driving for me. I love shifting, the feel and control of what gear I want to be in VS what the car wants me to be in. When I want to pass I dont have to floor it to change gears, I just do it. I can agree with others that the shifts of the new autos are on point. Guess it comes down to what you consider fun and if you would miss shifting.
Exactly this, my Camaro was the only auto sports car I've ever owned and being Callaway supercharged it was fast and fun, but after 4 years I just really missed a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned the manual mode in the A8 and A10. And no...I'm not talking about using the tap-shift paddles behind the steering wheel. In my opinion, using these is not much like driving a manual transmission at all. I'm talking about using the shifter, both for putting the car in manual mode (slap it to the left) AND for up/down-shifting.

Using the shifter (push forward to up-shift and pull back to down-shift) is very satisfying in terms of having control over what gear you're in and when. You can downshift with perfect rev matching every time, and switch back to automatic mode immediately whenever you want. Closest experience to driving a manual you can get in an automatic--just no clutch. Best of both worlds!
Using the shifter for manual mode completely removes one of the distinct advantages of the auto while on the track, and that is keeping both hands on the wheel. The paddles are great for track driving once you get used to the shift lag. But if you are just trying to make it feel like your still driving a stick I guess i understand. However I always cruised around on the street in manual mode I still preferred the paddles. The paddles felt more "Ferrari" to me and I guess i preferred that feeling over pretending to be in an 87 IROC with a stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
This will be a tricky thing to answer.

- People who decided to go automatic and never looked back

- People who decided to go automatic and enjoyed it at first but eventually wanted to be back in a manual
I'm number 2