Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Exclamation CAI Dyno Thread

Below are a few dyno sheets from independent 3rd party testing of Roto-fab cold air intake systems. Feel free to message us directly if you have any questions about our CAI.

ZL1 @ Dedicated Motorsports

Dyno sheet from Dedicated Motorsports, Bone stock ZL1 vs. ZL1 with Roto-fab CAI, stock tune

Dyno sheet from Aikman Performance, Bone stock ZL1 vs. ZL1 with Roto-fab CAI, stock tune

From JDP Motorsports, Bone Stock Cadillac CTS-V vs. CTS-V with Roto-fab CAI, stock tune

From Davenport Motorsports, Heartbeat Supercharged Camaro SS vs. Heartbeat S/C Camaro SS with Roto-fab CAI and Davenport tune
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1

This is one topic that's sure to cause debate. FWIW, my '13 ZL1 picked up 13rwhp on back to back testing with the stock air box. I currently have a RotoFab sitting in the box waiting to be installed on the new car. I hope these claims are close to legit.
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526615
Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:40 PM   #4
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Can I tell you that the price is too high. Lower the price and sales would take off.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:10 PM   #5
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Can I tell you that the price is too high. Lower the price and sales would take off.
isn't roto-fab one of the cheaper ones available for the Camaro?
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
Lashu74
Lashu74

Quote:
+1
Lashu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:04 AM   #7
mdmoore23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
isn't roto-fab one of the cheaper ones available for the Camaro?
Yes. There are none cheaper, so I don't know why this fella keeps bringing this up.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:08 AM   #8
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
Yes. There are none cheaper, so I don't know why this fella keeps bringing this up.
He could head down to home depot and get some pvc pipe

or eat some pringles

Both options should be cheaper than the roto-fab
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:18 AM   #9
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
Let me say this respectfully as if I was talking to you outside. I bring it up because the price is too high. I had a rotofab on my 13 ZL1. That was my last CAI I ever bought. I have owned a few cars since then. Lower the price. All my opinion.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Can you concour this is how the test went...

1. Baseline pull with no tune how it left the showroom.

2. Intake Test pull with cool down ....All you did was swap intakes.. or you swapped intakes and tuned on it with hood open.

Not to discredit all the research and design.. but I'd like to put this cold air debate to bed! I'm sure they add a little.. But how much if anything? And how much can be credited to the tune?

I'd like to see the car tuned on the stock box then put the rotofab on with the hood closed.. or tune on the rotofab with hood closed then put stock box back on and see if the numbers are the same, lets be honest none of us drive this car with the hood off.
The same amount of cfm's should be shoved at the air box channel or same number of fans should be used also placed in the same spot on the dyno so there is no skewed results.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^CAN YALL DO THIS?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I own Both the Rotofab and the Carbon Elite... Unfortunately The SS with the blower was out before any kind of CAI was available (rotofab setup). Same with the Zl1 the car was out before the Carbon Elite.. Both cases the cars were tuned on the stock box and later when intakes where available they were added. Neither Intakes made power as claimed or any real hp gains...

Infact what did make power was cutting the airbox bottom out and attaching the filter to it with gorilla tape.. Try this out since you have a dyno!!!!

GM did a good job they knew exactly where the turn should be and angle the problem is its on sucking air from 3/4 of the filter because the angle of box in the confined space one the box is open it can pull air all over.

small problem though sitting still w no movement it pull a little hot are from motor but once moving it quickly cools down or 100 feet or so.. so if the fans on the dyno are on and the hood is up no big deal...

So what would it take to do this... I'd be happy show my results if i could get free dyno time or it was paid for by someone..

PS..

reducing the tube size and causing more velocity to trick the MAF / computer is not as good as having an area to actually increase the volume or cfm of an intake... trying to do this in a factory location is dam near impossible.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber

Last edited by EDFHOBBIES; 04-27-2018 at 11:18 AM.
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #11
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Let me say this respectfully as if I was talking to you outside. I bring it up because the price is too high. I had a rotofab on my 13 ZL1. That was my last CAI I ever bought. I have owned a few cars since then. Lower the price. All my opinion.
+1

The price to cost ratio for CAIs is astronomical, be willing to bet the manufacturers can buy the material for eight to ten on the sale of one. And don't give me that R&D shite, these ain't rocket science.

Value isn't there for me either.

To each his own.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #12
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
I Literally bought my Roto-Fab for the increased blower whine.... I'm happy. Also my HRE's didn't add any HP either....but ssshhh dont tell HRE, I don't want them mad at me
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:36 PM   #13
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
+1

The price to cost ratio for CAIs is astronomical, be willing to bet the manufacturers can buy the material for eight to ten on the sale of one. And don't give me that R&D shite, these ain't rocket science.

Value isn't there for me either.

To each his own.
There is also some tooling involved, warehousing, employees, insurance etc. so some cost incurred by RF there as well. With that said, I agree, too little value for the cost. Great product, but too expensive given the inexpensive materials used to produce the unit.

If RF would reduce the cost of their CAI while maintaining current QC levels, they would likely increase overall unit sales and ultimately profit from the greater volume sold.

Sure we spent $60-70K on a ZL1 or ZLE. There is amazing value there. We aren't just frivolously throwing money around, we are educated consumers. Not so much value in the RF at the current price point.

Just my $0.02. Sorry for the rant.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #14
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
There is also some tooling involved, warehousing, employees, insurance etc. so some cost incurred by RF there as well. With that said, I agree, too little value for the cost. Great product, but too expensive given the inexpensive materials used to produce the unit.

If RF would reduce the cost of their CAI while maintaining current QC levels, they would likely increase overall unit sales and ultimately profit from the greater volume sold.

Sure we spent $60-70K on a ZL1 or ZLE. There is amazing value there. We aren't just frivolously throwing money around, we are educated consumers. Not so much value in the RF at the current price point.

Just my $0.02. Sorry for the rant.
That Sir was not a rant and I appreciate you pointing out the production costs that I naively left out.

I'm in 100% agreement with you - well said.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote