Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
MR.Sarge

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
Cam install created rattling/chattering

So I got a cam installed 2 weeks ago, BTR stage 3 cam, springs, lifters, C5R chain, Melling pump. And everything's been great up until the past 3-4 days where at idle at a stop, the car will create some rattle/chatter noise. unsure where or what it is from, goes away after you get moving and intermittently stops and doesn't come back. I cant for the life of me figure what it is that is rattling, header clamps (unsure if headers were removed when installing), heat shielding, etc. what could be the cause for the rattling?

It is getting SUPER annoying now, anyone have this issue? Or know what may be the cause?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Did you get an aftermarket clutch installed? They will sometimes rattle a little at idle. If not, take it back to your installer so they can hear it. Maybe cam vibration shook something loose.
PFADT stage 3 suspension kit, SW LTH, SW cat less retro exhaust, MGW short throw, 3.91 gears, MRR Z28 wheels, Roto Fab CAI, SLP underpully, 255cc ported heads, TSP 229/236 Cam, ZL1 pump, Street Slayer Twin Carbon clutch, ID850 injectors, Snow Stage III Meth kit
480whp/460wtq tuned by Dynosty
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
MR.Sarge

No, it is the stock clutch so dont think its that at all. Even when I tried clutching in and putting it in gear and just holding it there it chatters/rattles the same. Dont get a change in the sound at all
Old 05-02-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
What does the rattle sound like? Had my transmission replaced two weeks ago and it came back with two types of unsettling noises. One was a metallic pinging noise and the other a deep grungey rattle. The metallic pinging was fixed by tightening the loose o2 sensors and the deep rattle was my exhaust hitting the tunnel brace. Removed the brace and all is good. Still debating whether or not I want to replace it with an aftermarket one that provides better support for 3in exhaust.

Probably just something that wasn't put back fully the way it's supposed to be or not tightened enough. Get her on stands or a lift and check it out!
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
read my post I just did at a the cam noise post and see if that applies... good luck
Old 05-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #6
MR.Sarge

It is definitely a deep rattle. I went under the car to see what it could be and didn't see anything that stood out as loose or anything. I do think it maybe the tunnel brace with the shaking at idle how the exhaust is touching the brace I am assuming it is rattling hard and that's the reason why. Might have to see what I can do to pad the area in a way or create enough of a gap so it doesn't hit the brace and rattle.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.Sarge View Post
It is definitely a deep rattle. I went under the car to see what it could be and didn't see anything that stood out as loose or anything. I do think it maybe the tunnel brace with the shaking at idle how the exhaust is touching the brace I am assuming it is rattling hard and that's the reason why. Might have to see what I can do to pad the area in a way or create enough of a gap so it doesn't hit the brace and rattle.

Consider adding several thick washer to either side, that's what I've read to do haha. Or before you try that, perhaps just remove it and make sure it's the cause of the issue first! Best of luck!
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:55 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yes; I have heard of the problem you describe before on here and the tunnel can also have loose heat shielding also and can benefit from a 60-100$ brace to help its rigidity...
Old 05-05-2017, 11:54 PM   #9
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.Sarge View Post

My exhaust was rubbing on the my cross brace and made a terrible rattling sound. Push up on the exhaust at the brace and you will see a definite clean spot of it's rubbing.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote