The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 09-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
I-VETTE

Drives: 2014 Stingray
MANUAL TRANS CLOTCH SOUND

Hello guys;
I have 1600 miles on my C7. It's a manual transmission. I'm not sure if this is normal: there's a sound (I think from the clotch-tranny, like a loose gap between gear wheels backing up and down "clack-clack") when I start moving the car and change gears (if pressing the pedal) at low speed (more evident changing from 1st-2nd). Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I havent drive a manual Vette before (specially C7). I was thinking of taking it to the dealer but by my area we have some jerks that would lie to your face in order not to work.
Some help please....

Last edited by I-VETTE; 09-03-2014 at 08:20 PM.
I-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Having spent the last 2 days at Spring Mountain driving manuals on the track I can tell you it is NOT normal. I also have 20000+ miles on my own and have not heard anything like that. I suggest taking it in for a check.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
I-VETTE

Thanks for the reply. I just learn from other owners that the issue is very commun. Seems the problem is due to a "flywheel spring" missing, broken (or loose) on the transmission. The dealer replaced the spring and a "BOT" nut. Owner reported car is totally fine now.

Last edited by I-VETTE; 09-04-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
NC C7

Drives: 2014 CRT C7
I have a 7speed with 600 miles and no problems until today. With the clutch pedal pushed in and foot on the brake I released the parking brake and started to back up. When I released the clutch the car made and awful screaming sound. I let the clutch out again and heard the same thing. It was a high pitched scraping-squealing sound. On the third try I backed out of the garage and everything seemed normal. It did the same thing once more today but the sound wasn't nearly as bad. Would this be related to the flywheel spring Issue? If not what else is going on? Also, what is a Bot nut? thanks
NC C7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:27 AM   #5
I-VETTE

I think it may be related to the flywheel spring. If this spring is broken, pieces may get on the way for the disks on the clutch put pressure on each other and get twisted. Since this pieces are loose there, the sound can be not as regular as when the spring is complete but loose. I'm taking the car for inspection on this issue next friday. I'll keep you posted but, I don't think you should wait... have the dealer check it too.
PS: I have no idea what a "bot nut" is. That is something I got from another owner with the same issue on a different website.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
I-VETTE

I left the car on the dealer today (the whole day). They said are comunicating with GM regarding the issue (I even printed out the discussion from the other website so they would have a tip of what the problem could be). At the end of the day no awnser yet from GM. I'm picking up the car tomorrow to park it on the house until they get the answer (and the parts to fix it). I will keep this thread posted
To be continued.....
Old 09-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #7
NC C7

Drives: 2014 CRT C7
Thanks for the update
NC C7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #8
I-VETTE

So, I left the car on the dealer to be check. I explained with details the situation, I even printed out all the discussions from this forum and took it to them. Next day they said the called GM and they were waiting for the response. I spend 4 days calling the dealer and no way to talk to a person on service, no phone call back (even when I left more than 15 msg).
Yesterday (a week after) I went to the dealer personally. They said the car noise is normal but you could tell they were lying on my face: they either didn't check the car at all or are so lost that cannot accept the fact they are a complete set of looser. I'm very frustrated with all this. I wish I could have a person to call on GM myself.
Any advice?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Contact Chevrolet Customer Service directly and explain what is happening. The number should be in your owner's manual (and if any fellow forum members have it, please post it here!). With all the scrutiny GM is getting from the recalls, CCS will get things taken care of for you!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:23 PM   #10
jetnature

Drives: toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-VETTE View Post
I left the car on the dealer today (the whole day). They said are comunicating with GM regarding the issue (I even printed out the discussion from the other website so they would have a tip of what the problem could be). At the end of the day no awnser yet from GM. I'm picking up the car tomorrow to park it on the house until they get the answer (and the parts to fix it). I will keep this thread posted run 3
To be continued.....
I have the same problem as you. Thanks for the update.
jetnature is offline   Reply With Quote