The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 01-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrefaei View Post
You so read my mind about the Long Tube headers, that's why I originally wanted to go straight pipes, but most likely I'll do Headers to stock cat back and see what that brings and then consider a cat-back. And your right about it not being about the power gain over noise, cause thats truly what I'm really going for is the noise factor.
I personally think straight pipes would sound like crap.

Big block v8....

On a lt1 vette

Almost an abomination

IMHO
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
When the AFM kicks in on straight pipes... that may even sound like Big Tuba Band Go Wild.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:57 AM   #17
imported_THE EVIL TW1N

I haven't looked at the pics, but hopefully they throw a true dual exhaust on there! All the tips in the world won't solve that single exhaust sound. I've never heard a Corvette that I like the exhaust sound, always seems to be the one thing missing! This new Corvette looks so BADASS, it deserves better!
imported_THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #18
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
It's probably going to be a little while before the aftermarket world starts cranking products out for the C7. I'm going to enjoy what GM did first, then see what comes out. I've spent quite a bit of money on my Supercharged Camaro right out of the gate, and in the 15 months I've owned it, I only have about 2300 miles because I keep adding to it. I don't want to go through the same thing with my C7.

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
Stingray
just can't get enough

Factory Performance Exhaust option... notice the butterfly valves. I took this pic at the CHI Auto Show yesterday.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
GaBoy25

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #21
Stingray
just can't get enough

Here are closeup shots I took of the factory exhaust headers... part of the LT1 showcase display at the show.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
GaBoy25

That's a piece of art.

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Those pics are fantastic! I personally would go with the dual mode exhaust. It prevents AFM drone and it sounds great!
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #24
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
There is actually a primary set of valves upstream of the mufflers I believe specifically to deal with V-4 drone when AFM is active. NPP will also get you the additional butterfly valves to open up all 4 pipes as you can see on some of the Geneva videos at startup. I think the NPP on all the show cars so far sounds awesome. Best of all worlds, quiet cruising without drone then wakes up when you nail the throttle and/or switch modes into Sport or Track. Sounds like a winner to me.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #25
Stingray
just can't get enough

I took this at Barrett Jackson a few days ago... start up & idling before it was driven to the stage.
A million bucks worth of exhaust sounds right there... according to Hendrick.

Tenneco Supplying Emission Control Technologies On 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (April 8, 2013) Tenneco announced it is supplying key emission control technologies, including electrical valves, for the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, one of the most highly anticipated vehicles debuting in 2013. Considered one of the key performance features of the car, the Corvette’s exhaust system delivers a unique signature sound.

Most notably, the Corvette’s standard exhaust system is the first vehicle to utilize Tenneco’s electrical valve technology for sound tuning. The electric valves are designed to work in concert with the vehicle’s Active Fuel Management (AFM) system, a fuel-saving four-cylinder mode versus eight-cylinder mode. The valves open and close to control the Corvette’s exhaust sound as it switches between the two engine modes.

In addition to the valves highlighted in the AFM system, the exhaust system features an option, which includes two additional electrical valves in the tailpipes, tuned specifically for enhanced sound quality. These valves remain closed during normal driving conditions and open during harder acceleration, creating lower backpressure, more engine power and most importantly, Corvette’s signature sound.

“The Corvette is one of America’s iconic automobiles, and Tenneco could not be more excited and pleased to partner with Chevrolet to provide a combination of performance attributes, including improved fuel economy, power and the vehicle's signature sound,” said Tim Jackson, Tenneco’s chief technology officer. “Additionally, the program gives Tenneco an opportunity to demonstrate our advanced exhaust technology on one of the highest-performance vehicles available in the market.”

Tenneco is a global supplier to General Motors, providing both ride performance and clean air technologies for GM passenger cars and light and medium-duty trucks.

The company manufactures the electric valves at its Valencia, Spain, facility, while the other system components will be produced at its Seward, Neb., and Elkhart, Ind., facilities. Final assembly of the exhaust system takes place at Tenneco’s Smithville, Tenn., plant. Tenneco’s global emissions technical centers in Edenkoben, Germany, and Grass Lake, Mich., provided electric valve engineering and systems integration support.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #26
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I prefere the borla stingers to the NPP sound hands down on any car. sound is subjective though. what one person loves another might hate.

nice thing about the NPP stuff is you can quite it down if you want.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #27
Corvettestingray

Drives: Corvette
Headers with NPP...you can't beat the flexibility, you don't want the car to be ridiculously loud 24-7
Corvettestingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #28
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettestingray View Post
Headers with NPP...you can't beat the flexibility, you don't want the car to be ridiculously loud 24-7
Thats what I am looking at right now..
Just looking at Kooks 2" runners to 3" back to NPP mufflers..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote