The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Challenger trying to find an "Answer" for the Z/28

ain't no way in hell you can get those boats to corner like a 1LE or Z/28.

Here’s some news for you: during a special edition taping of Wide Open Throttle live at the New York Auto Show, our special guest, SRT boss Ralph Gilles, said that SRT will soon have “an answer for the Z/28.” Sadly, the conversation moved so quickly that we were unable to press Mr. Gilles for details. Basically, what we surmise is that Chrysler feels the big Challenger isn’t as competitive against the Ford Mustang and Chevy Camaro as it should be. One way to rectify that situation is a more hardcore, track-focused car. Remember that Ford had the Boss 302 (no longer on sale) and Chevrolet makes both the Camaro 1LE and now the new hardcore Z/28 — and it sounds like Ralph wants to make his upcoming car much more raw.

What we figure is that the Z/28-fighting Challenger will have a hopped up version of SRT’s 6.4-liter “392” Hemi V-8. Currently, the 392 makes 470 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque in SRT8 Challenger duty. As the Z/28 is set to produce at least 500 ponies and 470 pound-feet or torque, figure that the new Challenger will match and probably even beat those numbers. We also suspect SRT will make an effort to lighten the car, as the big boy SRT8 currently weighs more than 4100 pounds. You can expect grippier tires, lighter wheels, better brakes, more down-force producing aero effects, and a whole heap of suspension work. One left-field possibility is that the Challenger TA (for lack of a better name) will pack a detuned version of the Viper’s 8.4-liter V-10. As the Z/28 packs a (ever so slightly) less potent version of the Z06’s 7.0-liter LS7 V-8 and retails for more money than the supercharged, 580-hp ZL1, it stands to reason that a Challenger with a V-10 would give SRT the horsepower advantage they enjoy having and keep the price up around the level of the Z/28 – figure around $65-80K. That said, a V-10-engined Challenger is highly unlikely.
As for the Barracuda, Ralph said that the eventual Challenger replacement is not as far along as people think and that the current Challenger still has life left in it. I’ll let Angus take it from here: “The new Barracuda will share its platform architecture with an all-new 5 Series-sized Alfa Romeo sedan that will be a key car for the relaunch of the Alfa brand in the U.S. I’ve been told that [5 Series-sized RWD vehicle] is one of the cars Alfa is expecting to launch in the U.S. by 2016. I’m betting the Barracuda will also appear around that timeframe. Pure speculation, but both cars may have been pushed back because the Fiat Group is bleeding in Europe due to the collapse of the market there and Marchionne is trying to conserve money.” Sounds about right.
In passing, Ralph also mentioned a Viper GT3. We’ll be running that one down as soon as we’re able.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
That Challenger looks badass. But if you think a 5Gen Camaro is heavy....!

And the SRT8 is expensive. But I hear that Mopar's having a fire sale on them
Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The have talked about building a Challenger ACR a few times. They even showed one off at SEMA 2011. Below are a few photos we snapped. The Challenger is just too big and heavy but a V10 powered model would be freaking awesome.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
They made a COPO type Challenger with the Viper V10. I have some pics on my phone if anyone actually cares to see it
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Chrysler left the NASCAR seen and now wants to challenge Chevrolet to a road course? Really, hell they cant beat a Corvette or a Cadillac. What makes them think they can turn it around in time for a road course victory vs a Camaro.
Enjoy the competition Ford and Chrysler owners. With out Chevrolet you would still be driving under powered cars. Hands down out of the three car manufactures Chevrolet has the best cars. I would put up stock for stock our best Corvette, Cadillac, or Camaro on a road course vs Ford or Chrysler with similar models. You know who would win, Not Ford and Not Chrysler. I am not a Ford or Chrysler hater, it is just fact. I am sure both camps will build better cars, they have to as Chevrolet is the one to beat.

Don't you love competition. I am thinking that 2016 will be an interesting year!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
They made a COPO type Challenger with the Viper V10. I have some pics on my phone if anyone actually cares to see it
I think this is it.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Was reading about this on the challenger forums. All I have to say is GOOD LUCK, because they will need alot of it lol.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Hey, us Ford guys never thought the lard-arsed Camaro would run with the Mustang never mind beat it, so give the Challenger fans a break and let's see what they can do.

;-)

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
I think if they were serious, they would have just developed the car and came out with it instead of talking smack. They are just creating publicity to get name recognition IMO.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I think this is it.

Yep that's it. Cost 100k and is the loudest thing I have ever heard
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
They haven't built a Challenger model to compete with the ZL1 or 1LE. How the hell are they going to beat a Z/28?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Historically the Challeneger has always been the heavier of the 3, and also historically the Camaro has been a little heavier than the Mustang. Even in the 60s.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Well, if GM can make a boat like our Camaros turn than why not Dodge. My only thing is why do they now all of the sudden worry about competing with GM. They haven't worried about doing so to date.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Looks like it's SRT Cuda time for Dodge.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote