The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #43
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
Have I missed something? What happened to the Boss 302? Has Ford took their toys and went home already? I thought they'd at least stick around long enough to put up a fight.
Watch for the return of the GT350. Made by Ford alongside the GT500. But you'll have to wait until the new Mustang is out first.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #44
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Watch for the return of the GT350. Made by Ford alongside the GT500. But you'll have to wait until the new Mustang is out first.
I've read the 5.8 won't fit in the new Mustang but that might have been with the blower. Make it N/A and it should fit.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #45
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Other than tapered corners, the front end looks pretty much the same to me in the spy shots captured so far. Still I expect blowers to go bye bye, and turbos to come into the picture. The GT500 should stay Grand Touring and Dragstrip focused, with the new 35o being a Boss type car, but with the advantages of IRS. Of course, just because Ford has licensed GT350 from Shelby does not mean it's what they may eventually go with, so we'll wait and see what the track focused car gets called.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #46
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
I think if they were serious, they would have just developed the car and came out with it instead of talking smack. They are just creating publicity to get name recognition IMO.
Do you think it just takes a day to design and produce a new car? no one knew about the Z28 until a week ago, give them time. The Camaro and Challenger are VERY similar. They knocked the Camaro from 4100 for a ZL1 to 3800 for the Z28, I am sure with special pieces like the Z28 they could do a similar feat with the SRT8.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #47
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I would be the first one in line if they ever built this. Who cares about track car when you could look this good. What percent of people ever run on a road course with a brand new car anyhow? Probably less than 1%.
Always loved that design! Also loved the Cuda concept Chrysler showed in 09 I believe?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #48
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
From any review I remember reading, nobody seemed to come away impressed with how the Challenger managed corners. With the Camaro, there has often been a hint that it handled better than expected and/or a little tweaking could go a long way. I have no doubt that the Challenger has some un-tapped potential, but I am doubtful that Chrysler will offer a direct answer to the Z/28: too much effort for too little a reward. However, I could see them offering a streetable drag car instead. There is a broader market & less competition.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #49
07-SRT

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Hopefully This 6.2 Supercharged.......

http://www.ontariostreetcar.com/2012...alled-hellcat/

2015 Camaro 2SS

Cam/Heads/FBO 498/447 SAE
07-SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #50
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
the Challenger has always been priced out of the pony car category... not to mention the 300+ lbs difference... if they can direct inject the 5.7 and 6.4, lose some weight, and bring the price down $4-5k then people like myself would cross shop them for a pony car
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #51
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
From any review I remember reading, nobody seemed to come away impressed with how the Challenger managed corners. With the Camaro, there has often been a hint that it handled better than expected and/or a little tweaking could go a long way. I have no doubt that the Challenger has some un-tapped potential, but I am doubtful that Chrysler will offer a direct answer to the Z/28: too much effort for too little a reward. However, I could see them offering a streetable drag car instead. There is a broader market & less competition.
Basically every review of the 2011 and newer models of the Challnger, Charger, and 300 SRTs has been extremely positive, even comparing their handling to that of the previous gen non Neutered BMWs. the porential is there, i am just afraid they are going to try to beat it with power and the Z28 is just such a complete package just piling power on top just wouldn't do it.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #52
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
I would be the first one in line if they ever built this. Who cares about track car when you could look this good. What percent of people ever run on a road course with a brand new car anyhow? Probably less than 1%.
I would cut you to be first in line to buy this
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #53
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
the Challenger has always been priced out of the pony car category... not to mention the 300+ lbs difference... if they can direct inject the 5.7 and 6.4, lose some weight, and bring the price down $4-5k then people like myself would cross shop them for a pony car
Actually The R/t starts at 2k less than a Base GT or 1SS, the SRT slots neatly in the middle of the GT/SS and GT500/ZL1 in bopth performance and price. looks to be priced right. the thing with the Challenger is that it is not really a pony car, but more of a large muscle car. Something interesting is that march was the Challengers best sales month ever with around 5000 of them moved off dealer's lots. You would think it would be the oposite since the basic body style has been around since 08.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #54
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
ain't no way in hell you can get those boats to corner like a 1LE or Z/28.
The SRT8 only weights slightly more than the ZL1....
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #55
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Actually The R/t starts at 2k less than a Base GT or 1SS, the SRT slots neatly in the middle of the GT/SS and GT500/ZL1 in bopth performance and price. looks to be priced right. the thing with the Challenger is that it is not really a pony car, but more of a large muscle car. Something interesting is that march was the Challengers best sales month ever with around 5000 of them moved off dealer's lots. You would think it would be the oposite since the basic body style has been around since 08.

Chrysler typically does not step along. Years ago they would change every model year something. I mean you could not even use the lights from a prior year most of the time in years past. But now it seems they do not take those baby steps but take huge leaps of faith. Most of the time they will introduce something totally unexpected and it seems they are trying to build their little niche doing it and sometimes it pays off and sometimes it don't. The Challenger got the car wars started again and look at what the PT Cruiser did for them. Those little GTs were wicked in their own right.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #56
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Quote:

That's pure sex right there!!

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote