Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
scaddenman

Drives: 1996 Camaro RS Convertible
Car wont start please help

Hello, i have a 96 camaro rs that has been a complete pain in my ass. It never seems to work right and ive only been able to put 2k miles on it in a years time. It was having a maf sensor problem and when i finally fixed it the next day it wouldnt start..

Car keeps cranking like it wants to turn over. The car has spark fuel compression. I have taken it to 2 different shops and they have no idea whats going on. The shop it was at yesterday said they think the computer needs to be repogrammed but they arent positive on that. The car also once started up just fine was drivable able to be turned off and on multiple times and ran fine, came back in an hour the problem is back. Any advice would be awesome, cant afford to keep throwing money at this car :(
scaddenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
VASCAR2

Drives: 94 Camaro, 10 1LT IBM Camaro
The Camaro is known to have issues with coils. I know on my police B4C had to have the coils replaced. Mechanic found it was weak and the LT1/LS1 needed a good hot spark. The Camaro never failed to start but something to be aware of.

I know the Camaro needs adequate fuel pressure, if the pressure is low car will crank and may not start, especially on hot days. On cooler days my 94 Camaro started quickly but on hot days wouldn't hardly start. The Camaro starts as it was supposed to after the fuel pump was replaced.
VASCAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:58 PM   #3
orange10ss
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 camaro zl1
Check the keys , chip might be messing up
orange10ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Coils first thought, if the fuel pressure is good injectors maybe.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
VASCAR2

Drives: 94 Camaro, 10 1LT IBM Camaro
My 94 pass key/ignition went bad and the car would not recognize the original keys. My mechanic fixed it by installing a new ignition switch inline. I still use the original keys but might be easier to steal. I live in a rural area and the car would likely never been stolen.

When my ignition went bad the car wouldn't even attempt to start and had a light on the dash indicating a malfunction. I think it was a red key icon but that has been at least 15 years ago.
VASCAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #6
insanity213

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASCAR2 View Post
My 94 pass key/ignition went bad and the car would not recognize the original keys. My mechanic fixed it by installing a new ignition switch inline. I still use the original keys but might be easier to steal. I live in a rural area and the car would likely never been stolen.

When my ignition went bad the car wouldn't even attempt to start and had a light on the dash indicating a malfunction. I think it was a red key icon but that has been at least 15 years ago.

^^ This... Is there a security light on the dash? Might have to bypass the VATS with a resistor.
insanity213 is offline   Reply With Quote