Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #29
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Five seconds? Burn through it? Smell the clutch? I have no idea what you guys are talking about. If my hill assist kept the brakes on, I'd consider it broke and take it to the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavyas View Post
Did the hill assist go off as soon as you stepped on the gas pedal, or did u have to wait almost 5 seconds for it ...
#1.

On my '14, hill assist will keep the pressure on when I release the brakes, but then it releases the brakes as soon as I start pulling out the clutch - in fact I still need to be slightly quick on the clutch because it can roll backwards just a little bit during that time.

That being said, it's not very hilly around here, and being as I've never had hill assist before, the first few times Hill Assist did it's magic, it took me by surprise and I would give it just a bit too much throttle.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #30
SacraMaro

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavyas View Post
Did the hill assist go off as soon as you stepped on the gas pedal, or did u have to wait almost 5 seconds for it ...
I had to wait for it, and there have been grades that it hasn't caught it and I thought it should its helpful when it helps, when it doesn't help you catch it pretty quick...could you do it without it? of course. But it does make it easier, when its working.

2002 Black on Black Convertible Z/28, M6 History
2002 Sunset Orange Metallic Z/28, M6 History
1981 Gold Berlinetta, Auto History
1976 C10 Stepside, History
SacraMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #31
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
That is my experience and I have learned to know when to expect it to work and when not. I lived in SF for several years from the ;ate 60's to the early 70's and I can not imagine navigating the seven hills of SF driving a MT equipped vehicle absent hill assist. Fortunately for me, when I was driving there I was not driving a manual transmission vehicle.

Lasting no longer than two seconds seems right per my experience.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #32
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
My 2015 ZL1 has hill assist, I had no idea it had it until I was going up a hill lol.

Its a great feature because the car doesn't roll back at all. I'm used to my other manual cars and driving on hills is a ****.

I'm sure the 2016's will come standard with it.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 PM   #33
Millertime555

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS376 View Post
Because in the Camaro, the hill assist seems to kick in randomly, and it doesn't release for several seconds. As an example, it sometimes kicks in while on a perfectly flat surface, and then holds you for several seconds, forcing you to wait, stall, or smell the clutch. Luckily it can be defeated by pulling up one click on the parking brake (but with the '16's electronic parking brake, will this be possible?).

I also have a Subaru with hill assist and it is an example of proper execution of this feature. It always kicks in when needed, never when you don't need it, and it releases the moment you hit the gas. No waiting, no stalling, no burning up the clutch. Completely seamless.
Huh, I guess that would be annoying. But I've not had any issues with my '13, it doesn't activate on non-inclined surfaces, and it releases when the clutch reaches the friction zone.
Millertime555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #34
OldSchool

Drives: 2014 LRG 2LT Z51 Stingray
Hi:

I would hope that GM uses the same hill assist in the new Camaro that they used in the new Corvette. When stopped on an incline, the brakes remain on for 5 seconds OR UNTIL THE REAR WHEELS RECEIVE POWER - I have never waited to start the car moving when on an incline, it just held in place until the rear wheels started to receive power and then let go.

Also, if you don't get Hill Assist, you can make your own with the electronic Parking Brake. In fact, in the Corvette owners manual in the section on the e-parking brake they specifically mention this. One of the advantages of the e-parking brake is that it lets go as soon as the rear wheels start receiving power - no more driving away with the parking brake on. The Corvette owners manual mentions that if you are stopped on a very steep hill and aren't sure that Hill Hold Assist will keep you in place long enough to get moving forward, you should apply the e-parking brake. This will hold you in place for as long as needed, but will immediately let go when the rear wheels start to move.
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #35
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
Hi:

I would hope that GM uses the same hill assist in the new Camaro that they used in the new Corvette. When stopped on an incline, the brakes remain on for 5 seconds OR UNTIL THE REAR WHEELS RECEIVE POWER - I have never waited to start the car moving when on an incline, it just held in place until the rear wheels started to receive power and then let go.

Also, if you don't get Hill Assist, you can make your own with the electronic Parking Brake. In fact, in the Corvette owners manual in the section on the e-parking brake they specifically mention this. One of the advantages of the e-parking brake is that it lets go as soon as the rear wheels start receiving power - no more driving away with the parking brake on. The Corvette owners manual mentions that if you are stopped on a very steep hill and aren't sure that Hill Hold Assist will keep you in place long enough to get moving forward, you should apply the e-parking brake. This will hold you in place for as long as needed, but will immediately let go when the rear wheels start to move.
This is an excellent piece of info... if this is present in the new corvette...I dont see a reason why this cant be ported to the new camaro... thanks for that info!!!
bhavyas is offline   Reply With Quote