Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 02-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #337
djcolopi

Drives: @orange_maro
All the metal zipties under the hood have been replaced with AN fittings, the 3.0" MAF tube was replaced with a 3.5" MAF tube and the 50mm TiAL blow off valve is getting installed. A reservoir has been ordered to relocate the power steering reservoir, two titanium double layer turbo blankets and waiting on some new brackets. The exhaust cam with the modified fuel lobe is already at the shop. Some preliminary flow testing has shown a increase of 15% flow rate from the hpfp. A few of the GPI built LFX cars are also using an exhaust cam with a modified fuel lobe.

This upcoming week, the interior will be stripped out for the 8.5 certified cage. The rear tub will also be cut off during this time and the door panel and speaker deletes will be mounted up. Since I will not have door speakers or rear speakers there is no point in keeping the radio unit. I am trying to source a COPO Camaro switch panel.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2018, 08:08 PM   #338
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Got rid of it for you...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #339
djcolopi

Tracy and I decided to change the order of the build; the metal zipties under the hood were replaced with AN fittings, the 3.0" MAF tube was replaced with a 3.5" MAF tube, new charge piping with a 50mm TiAL blow off valve and double layer titanium turbo blankets were also installed. Will then retuned the car, without meth, just pump gas we dynoed 595rwhp and 517ft*lbs tq. We wanted to see exactly when fuel pressure dropped (hpfp was maxed out). Tracy then went to Bradenton Motorsports Park on 2/24/18 for some shake down passes to get an idea of where we are at and to tweak the suspension and tune. It was #spincity, we could not hook on the NT555R's, she was spinning down the track. Only two 1/4mi passes with a best so far of 11.65 at 120mph. That night I ordered MT ET Street R and 92 drag stars 17x10.5. Tracy Lewis then competed in NHRA 1/8th bracket. Eliminated in the 3rd round on a red light. I was a little disappointed in the results, expecting a time around 10.9 and 135+mph; however, I did cheap out last year and purchase NT555R's. This upcoming week, the exhaust cam with the modified fuel lobe should be installed, we are doing a 3.73 gear swap, instalingl the hurst line lock and gutting the interior. I actually decided to pull the radio unit with ac/heat controls since I will no longer have speakers and the ac system was already removed. So I decided to get rid of the dead weight and sell it. Our goal is to break 10.69 before the TH350 trans swap. (I will be back in Palmetto, FL March 20-24th. I will be at the track with Tracy doing some test n tune, the plan is too have everything done besides the cage and TH350 swap).

*Edit: We also determined that we need to upgrade the wastegate springs!
Attached Images

Last edited by djcolopi; 02-26-2018 at 09:09 PM.
djcolopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:21 PM   #340
djcolopi

MT ET Street R and 17x10.5 92 drag stars on the way, expected delivery is Monday 3/05/18.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:49 PM   #341
djcolopi

The MT ET Street R's were mounted on the drag starts and the setup balanced! Tracy Lewis also fabbed up a drag wing. Going to get it painted next week in inferno orange. We also decided to order 3.90 gears instead of 3.73 over cost. The gears should arrive tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2018, 11:18 PM   #342
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Love it.. v6 with power.

That ‘wingler’ (wing/spoiler, I know drag wing ;o) is something... I see the NACAs there too...

Is the intent to extend past the trunk for more rear downforce— more load on the wheels?

Reminds me of the winged sprint cars we raced years ago...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #343
djcolopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Love it.. v6 with power.

That ‘wingler’ (wing/spoiler, I know drag wing ;o) is something... I see the NACAs there too...

Is the intent to extend past the trunk for more rear downforce— more load on the wheels?

Reminds me of the winged sprint cars we raced years ago...

-Don
Quoted from Dragzine:

'One of the misconceptions about a rear wing for drag racing is that it provides more downforce to keep the tires planted on the track, but that’s not the case until the car is well into the single-digit range of elapsed times. The purpose of the wing for most vehicles is not to provide more downforce, but to direct the airflow over the rear of the car, keeping it more stable in the process.
Racing spoilers like the one we selected have a flat center section that runs straight off the back of the car, rather than in an upward direction, and have a pair of spill plates – one at each end of the flat section – to help gather the air and point it in the right direction. Factory spoilers, on the other hand, do more to disturb the airflow than help it, and upset the vehicle’s stability in the process. The air that’s near the outside edges of a factory spoiler will either shoot up, or shoot out, but you really don’t know because you’re not collecting it.
Gaining the ability to direct the airflow over the rear of the car, rather than letting it flow where it’s trying to go on its own based on the vehicle aerodynamics, is where the stability improvement comes into the picture.“Most people think that they’re going to bolt on a spoiler and go faster, but that’s not the case. You don’t normally see a mile-per-hour change on your time ticket versus having one on and not having one on. What they do see is a more consistent time ticket, because you’re gathering the air coming off the back of the car and directing it where you want it to go. The spill plates stop the air from spilling over the sides of the spoiler. All of these things combine to make the car more stable,” Overdorf explains.'

What I posted up from the article really explains the primary function of the drag type spoiler; direct the airflow over the rear of the car, keeping it more stable in the process and improving consistency.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #344
djcolopi

Spinning on the NT555R's, 3.27 gears and just on pump gas (no meth), we cut a 1.754 60'.

This upcoming week we are mounting up the rear drag stars with MT, 3.90 gear change, tweaking the fueling and then some paint work.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:49 PM   #345
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcolopi View Post
Quoted from Dragzine:

'One of the misconceptions about a rear wing for drag racing is that it provides more downforce to keep the tires planted on the track, but that’s not the case until the car is well into the single-digit range of elapsed times. The purpose of the wing for most vehicles is not to provide more downforce, but to direct the airflow over the rear of the car, keeping it more stable in the process.
Racing spoilers like the one we selected have a flat center section that runs straight off the back of the car, rather than in an upward direction, and have a pair of spill plates – one at each end of the flat section – to help gather the air and point it in the right direction. Factory spoilers, on the other hand, do more to disturb the airflow than help it, and upset the vehicle’s stability in the process. The air that’s near the outside edges of a factory spoiler will either shoot up, or shoot out, but you really don’t know because you’re not collecting it.
Gaining the ability to direct the airflow over the rear of the car, rather than letting it flow where it’s trying to go on its own based on the vehicle aerodynamics, is where the stability improvement comes into the picture.“Most people think that they’re going to bolt on a spoiler and go faster, but that’s not the case. You don’t normally see a mile-per-hour change on your time ticket versus having one on and not having one on. What they do see is a more consistent time ticket, because you’re gathering the air coming off the back of the car and directing it where you want it to go. The spill plates stop the air from spilling over the sides of the spoiler. All of these things combine to make the car more stable,” Overdorf explains.'

What I posted up from the article really explains the primary function of the drag type spoiler; direct the airflow over the rear of the car, keeping it more stable in the process and improving consistency.
Kinda figured it was more like spoiler (directing air over the rear) vs wing affect but the wing part extending past the trunk lid was what made me curious. Get the spill plates. Makes total sense...

Not all wings need to be in the century mark to have an affect though. Some can start in the high 70s.

One of the reasons for my wicker and rear belly pan was to direct air smoothly over the trunk as well as the air coming up from under the car... ‘spoiler’ ;o) not for high end mph increase for sure...

Love the tech!

-Don
Old 03-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #346
djcolopi

Bradenton Motorsports Park last night for test n tune. Just on pump gas no meth. BMP rips the time slips in half and gives it to each respective driver.

Performance Mods (if any):Twin Turbos-GTX2863R; JacFab Forged Rods; Diamond Forged Pistons; Mace 100lb Valve Springs; Exhaust Cam; JacFab IM; 80mm TB; RX 4000 Single Disc; ZL1 Fuel Pump; Exhaust Cam, 3.27 LSD; SS Brakes; BMR Drag Suspension; DSS 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft; Dark Star 17x4.5 & 17x10.5; Drag Wing; Corbeau FX1 Pro Seats; 5pt Harness; Rear Seat Delete; Radio Delete; AC Delete; MT ET Street R’s
Transmission: 6L50E
Category submitted for:Internal Engine Mods - Power Adders
R/T.......... 0.312
60'............. 1.657
330'........... 4.694
660'........... 7.187
660’ mph... 98.52
1000'.......... 9.329
1320'.......... 11.140
1320’ mph… 120.9
Name of the track: Bradenton Motorsports
Date of pass: 3/22/18

Quickest 60’ for a LFX without nitrous! Used the RX 4000 Single Disc Converter. At the moment I have too stiff of springs in the rear, negatively impacting my weight transfer.
Attached Images

Last edited by djcolopi; 03-25-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #347
djcolopi

After test n tune.....just some images of the drag pack
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #348
djcolopi

Decided to order lakewood drag shocks 90/10 up front and 50/50 rears from BCS Auto. The Lingenfelter Drag Coilovers are not working out on my setup. The rear is getting dropped this week to install the 3.90 gears and replace my coilovers with the Lakewood drag shocks.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #349
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Looks good! Nice run too BTW...

90/10s and 50/50s should be the ticket!

-Don
Old 03-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #350
djcolopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Looks good! Nice run too BTW...

90/10s and 50/50s should be the ticket!

-Don
Thanks! We expect to cut a 10.6 of faster just replacing the coilovers with the drag shocks and the 3.90 gears. Everything else is running smoothly, we are just not getting any weight transfer on the launch. So one more session of test n tune, see the improvement and get imformation with the gear swap and new shocks then we are turning up the boost and swapping in a new 6L50E. Tracy has been experimenting and ordering parts for the 6L50E. We are attempting to beef it up and thus push the TH350 swap, saving me a lot of money.

Last edited by djcolopi; 04-05-2018 at 02:44 PM.