Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-08-2023, 07:49 AM   #1
rednecks70

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, '70 Chevelle 454
Problem at Track Night

Did track night at Pocono Raceway on Thursday and unfortunately had issues. First I went to leave and a/c was not working, disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and that fixed the problem. Drove 1.5 hours to track no issues. Drove the novice pace laps, no problems. Go to pull out of the paddock garage and it feels like I have 2 flat front tires, look down at the dash and it's lit up light a Christmas tree (see pic). One of the workers has the professional scan tool and says none of the control modules are responding, he resets/clears the modules and the car seems fine. Only got in 2 laps in the second session due to a car spun off the course, no problems. 3rd session I ran 6 to 7 laps with no issues and called it a night, was looking at my dash too often and couldn't concentrate. Drove 1.5 hours home with no problems. Any ideas? Ground issues maybe? Battery is 3 years old and voltage is in the normal operating range.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2023, 09:12 AM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Ground issues are notorious on these cars.. Ground post at cold air intake, engine ground below right valve cover, power steering ground, especially if they are daily drivers or if they have been modified and you didn't do the work. Batteries also check under start load should be around 11 volts but not below, be sure to check run voltage at the battery as it should be 14.2 to .7, if its a flooded battery check the cells and top off with distilled if needed.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 08:24 PM   #3
rednecks70

Thanks I will check the grounds. I do have another theory...I had my OBD Link plugged in to send data to the Track Addict app, a couple of guys I was with said they heard this can sometimes cause issues. Did a little searching and found a thread on Camaro5 where others experienced odd problems when using OBD wireless devices. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:44 PM   #4
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecks70 View Post
Thanks I will check the grounds. I do have another theory...I had my OBD Link plugged in to send data to the Track Addict app, a couple of guys I was with said they heard this can sometimes cause issues. Did a little searching and found a thread on Camaro5 where others experienced odd problems when using OBD wireless devices. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.
I think for certain you might have solved you own problem, wireless OBD devices can cause so many different weird problems can also cause transmission problems with auto's. But they all have gone away once the device was removed.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 05:29 PM   #5
NZZL1

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Camaro M6
On rare occasions, my OBD Link MX+ has caused unusual behaviour such as you describe.
NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 06:50 PM   #6
rednecks70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZZL1 View Post
On rare occasions, my OBD Link MX+ has caused unusual behaviour such as you describe.
Thanks for letting me know. I'm convinced the OBD Link caused the issue. Will disconnecting the battery resolve the problem?
Old 07-10-2023, 08:23 PM   #7
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
While it's not a Camaro, my 2007 Avalanche does some really weird stuff if I plug my UltraGauge into the OBD port with the ignition on. It lights up the CHECK ENGINE light, displlays the SERVICE STABILITRACK message, and causes the UltraGauge to hang-up mid-boot.

Plug it in with the ignition off - - No issues.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:09 PM   #8
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
More than likely the wireless OBD device caused the CAN bus to lose connection between the controllers causing the issue.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:52 PM   #9
rednecks70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
While it's not a Camaro, my 2007 Avalanche does some really weird stuff if I plug my UltraGauge into the OBD port with the ignition on. It lights up the CHECK ENGINE light, displlays the SERVICE STABILITRACK message, and causes the UltraGauge to hang-up mid-boot.

Plug it in with the ignition off - - No issues.
Good to know. I will keep this in mind.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:07 AM   #10
NZZL1

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Camaro M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecks70 View Post
Thanks for letting me know. I'm convinced the OBD Link caused the issue. Will disconnecting the battery resolve the problem?
There are actually three busses, a high speed CAN, and low speed CAN, and a LIN bus. There is some generic OBD signalling, and some GM-specific OBD signalling, and GM never intended that anybody else would interface to their systems other than their official tool partners.

Everybody else has to reverse-engineer a interface and sometimes there may be an oversight with compatibility. I have had one or two random dashboard warning issues with OBD Link MX+ where it was permanently installed and running the phone app all of the time. These issues were resolved by simply unplugging and reinserting it, but I now only occasionally plug it in, use it as needed, and it is reliable. I also had a Scosche GM5201AB dash kit cause random warning chimes that refused to stop, until I just ignored them and drove off, and that kit eventually failed and is now in the junk pile now.

There is a lot of complexity to these cars, and occasionally the odd "gremlin" of unexplained origin will interfere with the various computer modules and CAN bus signalling, and a reset by disconnecting the battery will resolve such issues.
NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote