Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #15
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
...Im gonna need to see some decent rubber on the camaro and then have it throw down against the 350...if it can hold its own in a lightning lap...well, Im sorry M6G.
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #16
Wareaglea5

Drives: Gmc sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
Understand your point with the 2SS person not wanting a base GT350, that is a very good point that i was not considering.
But to suggest that price doesn't matter and we should compare them simply because they are the base models seem disingenuous to me. Should we compare a 1SS Camaro to a base Ferrari just because they both have V8s? Price is a factor in what you can do with the car as a builder.
I am not trying to be little the 2016 Camaro, i am probably going to buy one pretty soon. But the price difference between a Mustang GT and the Camaro SS is nothing to be overlooked when comparing the cars as it is not a "small" difference.
I agree that the difference in price is not small, but if the reason for buying is performance and you can afford the higher priced car that dominates the cheaper car it should be a no brainer. The performance difference is significant between these two. If you just want a V8 pony car, sure go cheaper. In a few months the discussion will turn to who got it at invoice and then who got it under invoice. I was thinking about the Mustang because of the price, but not anymore. Talking about the GT350 before we get GMs answer also seems like you'll end up in the same place when that answer does arrive.
If you are a serious track guy you also need to take into account that GMs engine and chassis combination is simply superior and this is what you're paying for. Mod for Mod the Camaro will always have the lower center of gravity, so much for the golden ratio that didn't save the day. GM's engineers came up with the better answer, and if you decide to pay for it you will actually have something innovative with creative thinking that went into it. The Mustang guys thought it was funny that GM even went after the bolts to make the car better, I bet they're wishing the Mustang got that level of attention now.
Wareaglea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #17
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
This is what has always been my scale:

SS/2SS vs Mustang GT
1LE is for the gap between mustang gt and shelby
ZL1 vs Shelby GT500.

Now... SS/2SS vs Gt350
ZL1 vs gt350r

ZL1 will be slapping the living crap out of the 350r once it is released. At least that's what I am betting since the SS is this legit.

I have ordered 2SS with m6, mrc, npp, navi and some other stuff which landed me at 46k (I do NOT have my invoice, it is based on prices "leaked").

I have also did a Build & Price for the Gt350 (non R) and added the technology package, painted roof with stripes (which is what i would've done if I had ordered one)... And the total price of that is 57.3k.

So basically, I have saved 11k. And for 11k, Shelby's numbers scream to me that it is so NOT worth it. Gt350 is still a pretty awesome car minus it being a mustang (lol), my order of SS to me is a much better bang for the buck. Not to mention.... Intake, xpipe, ported throttle body, ported intake manifold AND a procharger... You'll be sitting around 620 rwhp on pump gas, which all those mods are mild mods AND ALL cost LESS than that 11k difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting46 View Post
...Im gonna need to see some decent rubber on the camaro and then have it throw down against the 350...if it can hold its own in a lightning lap...well, Im sorry M6G.
The tires that come with the gen 6 are actually fantastic according to ALL the reviews I have read so far. They were designed specifically for the gen 6.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Here's how the Mustang & Camaro lines match up, in terms of how they have been positioned by GM and Ford

Camaro - - Mustang

Turbo4 - - - V6
- V6 - - - Ecoboost
SS - - - - - - GT
SS w1LE* - - GT wPerf Pack
Z/28* - - - - GT350
ZL1* - - - - GT500

*assuming GM offers such a car & it fills the same role as it did in the 5th gen

Also ... Mustang Ecoboosts & GT come in either 'base' or 'Premium' trim, roughly the equivelent to the '1' and '2' subtrims on LT & SS for the Camaro. No, the prices don't line up dollar for dollar everywhere & neither do the features. For example, I don't think you can get a sunroof in a Mustang, nor can you buy a decently optioned Mustang V6. Thats what makes the cars different and why some buy one while some buy the other.

Sure, anybody can cross shop anything they like. But manufacturers have specific competitors in mind when they build a car. For the SS, its the regular old GT. To pretend that GM has built the SS to compete with the GT350, simply because you can build its MSRP out to the high 40's is ludicrous. The fact that the SS out performs the GT is irrelevant. They are their companies respective entry for the 'everyday V8 pony car' segment.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #19
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
this thread...
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #20
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
I think it's hilarious people don't even think the GTPP vs SS isn't even a valid conversation and that the gt350 vs SS is the real comparison.

Camaro delivers.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:20 PM   #21
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
There's simply a lot of Ford fanboys on this forum that have come out of the woodwork, some with new accounts and other with old ones.. I have noticed it the last few months.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:49 PM   #22
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
I think it's hilarious people don't even think the GTPP vs SS isn't even a valid conversation and that the gt350 vs SS is the real comparison.
THIS is the real take-away from all that has unfolded today.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:55 PM   #23
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
They will cry when the 1LE, ZL1 and Z/28 roll up.

Oh wait... who am I kidding? They are crying now as their supposed Z/28 killer puts down the same numbers as a new 2016 Camaro SS. (Based on C&D numbers).
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #24
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
They will cry when the 1LE, ZL1 and Z/28 roll up.

Oh wait... who am I kidding? They are crying now as their supposed Z/28 killer puts down the same numbers as a new 2016 Camaro SS. (Based on C&D numbers).
Sledge, I dont guess Ive ever noticed, but we ordered the exact same car, less wheels(I went machine faced). Were going to need TONS of pics of YOURS! Lol

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #25
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
You know, I'm glad I have on order a Camaro and a ScatPack... If it was a Camaro and a GT350, I'd probably get lynched... You people...
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #26
pdoherty972

Drives: 2013 370Z sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post

Camaro delivers.
Exactly - shows the Camaro to be the obvious winner. And the GT350 and R models, aren't they simply limited run vehicles (only a few copies made)?
pdoherty972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #27
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972 View Post
Exactly - shows the Camaro to be the obvious winner. And the GT350 and R models, aren't they simply limited run vehicles (only a few copies made)?
The '15s were. But there's been no talk about limited production. They will be low volume like the ZL1 and Z/28 were.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #28
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
15 page current C5 thread; http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411000

Short story - The GT350 and R produced impressive results, but ultimately were unable to compete on the track against the outgoing, "5 year old" Gen5 1LE and Z/28 on the pro circuits. From the half a dozen reputable auto mag reviews released this week....The GT350 is expected to continue the slide in that struggle against the significantly cheaper newer Gen6.

The '16 Loaded 2SS/RS with NPP, Auto and Mag Ride is $47.5k
The '16 GT350 with optional $6.5k track pack is $55k
The '16 GT350R is $63k
The '14/'15 Z/28 is under $60k (currently)

The "track pack" is an option, but included in the R - which comes with a truckload of options for the $14k price difference. I have not researched the overall advantages of the R over a stand alone track package.

Ford has their work cut out for them over the next 6 months to counter the Gen6.
What in the world are you talking about? The thread you linked to says nothing of a track comparison between the GT350 in any form against the Z/28. If these comparisons exist, please do give us valid links, but so far, I haven't anything of this, and sounds like you pulled this right out of thin air.

Did you honestly just say a 15 Camaro 1LE beat a GT350 at the tracks and in reviews?