Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #141
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
The official GT350 brochure states:

"Carroll Shelby created his original 1965 GT350 to achieve ultra-quick lap times on road courses - exactly what the men and women at Ford Performance did with this new GT350."

Notice that it didn't state GT350 with the track pack or GT350R.

Also the Ford.com website states:

"• Braking
The foundation of any sports car is undoubtedly the brakes; therefore, brakes are a major part of the GT350 magic. So we teamed front and rear Brembo® with cross-drilled, two-piece, highly-engineered brake rotors. The huge 395mm (15.5”) rotors up front and 376mm (14.8”) rotors in the back complete this tight, hard working system that gives GT350 its well-earned track cred."

Notice the last sentence? The brakes give the GT350 its well-earned track cred.

It also states:

"• Aerodynamics
Balancing downforce with aerodynamic drag is always one of the biggest challenges a team of car designers can face. But Ford did it with a unique, detailed approach that centered on making it imperative that every single component play a major part in the total overall performance of the system. It’s a very hard thing to pull off, but our team of designers and engineers wouldn’t settle for less. So it’s not just that the GT350 has wider aluminum front fenders and a unique aluminum hood. It’s also that the front and rear fascias, splitter, rockers and rear valance with integrated diffuser all work together as a team – each and every one of them. And only as a team working together can this system keep the beautiful, powerful, exciting and intimidating GT350 racer pressed firmly to the track."

Again, notice the last sentence? The intimidating GT350... firmly to the TRACK. Not road, not driveway, not airport runway, not outer space. TRACK! And nothing states or even implies that you need the track pack or R version.

Another quote from the Ford website:

"What truly sets this Beast apart is that the Shelby GT350® isn’t just a combination of “go fast” parts *– any tuner can build one of those. The GT350 is a specifically engineered machine, where the components work dynamically together as one and perform to a world-class level on all fronts, as well as meeting Ford durability standards"

So the GT350 meets the "Ford durability standards", which apparently anyone would be a fool to assume includes not overheating on the warm-up lap of an HPDE event in cool weather without the optional coolers, even though most all the other cars in the world can.

The page for the 2015 GT350 NEVER mentions the term "GT350R". Here's the link:

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/201...#page=Feature4

They were clearly promoting the GT350 as a track capable car. Who builds a track capable car that isn't track capable unless you get additional options? That is like selling a pickup truck that you can't put a grain of sand in the bed unless you get an additional "haul stuff in the bed" package.
It has some premium components that would aid on the track, but in it's base form and electronics package, simply makes it a fun car on the street. If you want a car you want to track, you get the track pack. Same as getting the option of 4x4 or coolers on a truck if you're looking for some more heavy duty use... Simple stuff here people, not that complicated. Common sense is not that common.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:40 PM   #142
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Common sense is the car shouldn't immediately overheat on the track. For the same reason a z06 shouldn't, the gt350 shouldn't.

The track pack should be for making it faster on the track, not capable to be on the track. The GT350 is marketed as a track car, end of story.

Ford dropped the ball big time and will hopefully make it right for the 2017 buyers. Shitty for the 2016 buyer though.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #143
Zeke.Malvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Common sense is the car shouldn't immediately overheat on the track. For the same reason a z06 shouldn't, the gt350 shouldn't.

Ford dropped the ball big time and will hopefully make it right for the 2017 buyers. Shitty for the 2016 buyer though.
Yeahh... not the same. Nice try tho.

I agree that Ford should have made them standard, but I think it was also 100% OK that they didn't since those versions of the GT350 trim are not intended for track use and we're aimed at a demographic that was not going to track them.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:03 AM   #144
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
Yeahh... not the same. Nice try tho.

I agree that Ford should have made them standard, but I think it was also 100% OK that they didn't since those versions of the GT350 trim are not intended for track use and we're aimed at a demographic that was not going to track them.
Sorry. Only a Ford homer buys that. Any sports car should be able to complete a hpde.
Prolonged track use should mean more than a 20 minute session. Clearly the demographic thing hasn't worked out so well.

Roughly equivalent to saying people who buy automatics won't track them so it's OK the Z06s where overheating. It's bs and GM/Ford should make it right.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:41 AM   #145
Zeke.Malvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
Sorry. Only a Ford homer buys that. Any sports car should be able to complete a hpde.
Prolonged track use should mean more than a 20 minute session. Clearly the demographic thing hasn't worked out so well.

Roughly equivalent to saying people who buy automatics won't track them so it's OK the Z06s where overheating. It's bs and GM/Ford should make it right.
Again, not the same. You seem unable to separate the two for whatever reason.

But I will add, I am 100% not surprised that the automatic Z06's aren't up to the task. Again, common sense.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:29 AM   #146
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:

But I will add, I am 100% not surprised that the automatic Z06's aren't up to the task. Again, common sense.
Mine is, sorry to hear about yours. Maybe it's driver error.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #147
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:

OK then. You're saying the GT350 is a poser. A low MSRP headline that isn't really a track car. It's a $15,000 engine upgrade and appearance package over a base GT.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:45 AM   #148
Zeke.Malvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Mine is, sorry to hear about yours. Maybe it's driver error.
?

That's awesome yours is running great tho, that's good news! 👍 I'm sure the Z06 is a blast to drive, thinking of grabbing a GS myself.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:55 AM   #149
Zeke.Malvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
OK then. You're saying the GT350 is a poser. A low MSRP headline that isn't really a track car. It's a $15,000 engine upgrade and appearance package over a base GT.
Calm down.

It's a car that has the driving dynamics of a track capable car and you get the full driving experience of a very well balanced car in a street trim, especially with the tech pack.

If you want to track it, get the TRACK PACK. Simple. It would be stupid to run at a track without any coolers.

I personally wouldn't bother with the Tech pack, but some people prefer their GT350's with comfort and convenience over having it capable of being tracked.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #150
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Calm down.

It's a car that has the driving dynamics of a track capable car and you get the full driving experience of a very well balanced car in a street trim, especially with the tech pack.

If you want to track it, get the TRACK PACK. Simple. It would be stupid to run at a track without any coolers.

I personally wouldn't bother with the Tech pack, but some people prefer their GT350's with comfort and convenience over having it capable of being tracked.
Sounds like we are saying the same thing using different words.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #151
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
The official GT350 brochure states:

"Carroll Shelby created his original 1965 GT350 to achieve ultra-quick lap times on road courses - exactly what the men and women at Ford Performance did with this new GT350."

Notice that it didn't state GT350 with the track pack or GT350R.

Also the Ford.com website states:

"• Braking
The foundation of any sports car is undoubtedly the brakes; therefore, brakes are a major part of the GT350 magic. So we teamed front and rear Brembo® with cross-drilled, two-piece, highly-engineered brake rotors. The huge 395mm (15.5”) rotors up front and 376mm (14.8”) rotors in the back complete this tight, hard working system that gives GT350 its well-earned track cred."

Notice the last sentence? The brakes give the GT350 its well-earned track cred.

It also states:

"• Aerodynamics
Balancing downforce with aerodynamic drag is always one of the biggest challenges a team of car designers can face. But Ford did it with a unique, detailed approach that centered on making it imperative that every single component play a major part in the total overall performance of the system. It’s a very hard thing to pull off, but our team of designers and engineers wouldn’t settle for less. So it’s not just that the GT350 has wider aluminum front fenders and a unique aluminum hood. It’s also that the front and rear fascias, splitter, rockers and rear valance with integrated diffuser all work together as a team – each and every one of them. And only as a team working together can this system keep the beautiful, powerful, exciting and intimidating GT350 racer pressed firmly to the track."

Again, notice the last sentence? The intimidating GT350... firmly to the TRACK. Not road, not driveway, not airport runway, not outer space. TRACK! And nothing states or even implies that you need the track pack or R version.

Another quote from the Ford website:

"What truly sets this Beast apart is that the Shelby GT350® isn’t just a combination of “go fast” parts *– any tuner can build one of those. The GT350 is a specifically engineered machine, where the components work dynamically together as one and perform to a world-class level on all fronts, as well as meeting Ford durability standards"

So the GT350 meets the "Ford durability standards", which apparently anyone would be a fool to assume includes not overheating on the warm-up lap of an HPDE event in cool weather without the optional coolers, even though most all the other cars in the world can.

The page for the 2015 GT350 NEVER mentions the term "GT350R". Here's the link:

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/201...#page=Feature4

They were clearly promoting the GT350 as a track capable car. Who builds a track capable car that isn't track capable unless you get additional options? That is like selling a pickup truck that you can't put a grain of sand in the bed unless you get an additional "haul stuff in the bed" package.
Nice post but, in the end, I still couldn't find the words "most track-capable Mustang ever" in any of that information. My original point was, the ONLY GT350 that those words were used on by Ford marketing was the GT350R. That has not changed.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #152
Davy_Baby9

Drives: Duramax
I'd buy a super high reving FPC v8 that doesn't generate much much torque until where most engines meet their rev limiter for a daily driver and street use. Seems like maximizing it's usefulness.
Davy_Baby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #153
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
Nice post but, in the end, I still couldn't find the words "most track-capable Mustang ever" in any of that information. My original point was, the ONLY GT350 that those words were used on by Ford marketing was the GT350R. That has not changed.
They may be pitched with the "most...ever" adjectives. Clearly that's supposed to be the personality of the R model.

...but there's no denying that they've marketed the entire lineup as track capable...

And it's not. (for 2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #154
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
Not true, I was at the GT350 track day under Fords invite at Sebring a few months ago, the instructors all said "The GT350 is the most track-capable Mustang ever". About fifty times, never once did they just say the R...heck, most cars there were't even R's...

I like the car a lot, sounded evil, but money can be better spent for that capability so I pulled my GT350 TP order awhile back and gave my slot (MSRP too) to my friend.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote