Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 03-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
Rayzer

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
So you think 1LE is a track car?

Baby Boomers - You think the 1LE is a track car?

Keep in mind, the Camaro SS 1LE has AC, Power assist antilock brakes, traction control with an electronic differential for goodness sake, power steering (electric assist), dynamic stability control, Snow and Ice, Touring, Sport, Track settings (OL), Satellite radio (at least the 1LE deleted the rear speakers), blue tooth so you can text your friends, cameras to record your good / bad driving, power seats, cup holders, mirrors in the visors with lights, tire pressure and temperature sensors, air bags everywhere, etc, etc, etc....

Do you really need all this stuff for a "track car", of course not, at least in my opinion. Delete these items and more, and you have a car where the power to weight ratio would increase performance immensely and as a driver you can work on developing your high performance driving skills. Todays cars have so much technology, it restricts drivers from learning some of the basic HPDE skills Drivers Educator instructors are trying to pass on.

I noticed a lot of todays younger drivers, coming to HPDE track days have relied on these automotive safeguards just to make it around the track safely. My thread was to inquire with the older generation who grew up driving cars without all this technology and to see if they feel that cars like 1LE is a good tool for learning HPDE skills. Most of my other instructor peers believe on this philosophy, and it is becoming more difficult to teach these basic racing skill to new generation students due to cars correcting for drivers errors.

Last edited by Rayzer; 03-09-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Rayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
It's not a "track car". It's advertised as a "track package" added to the 1SS.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
I'm a millennial. I own the car. Why don't you tell me why a track car has to pretty much have nothing but 4 wheels an engine and transmission?

I think this is a track car 100 percent. This is the type of track car that is actually driveable/liveable. You can drive it 250 miles to your nearest track, in comfort. And then track it

But i'm all for the purpose built track car, not legal to drive on the roads, only built for track use.
The problem is you need to buy a trailer, have space to put all this and take it to the track.

Some people don't have space or could only use one car. And to me, this ticks all the boxes. Could be used everyday (i wouldn't). Could be a weekend cruiser or show car. And then can be taken to a track and carry its own

Didn't mean to sound sarcastic in the beginning. But to go back to it. I guess my question is...why must a track car bet bare boned only for track use?
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
nate.the.great

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
you're describing a race car, which is very different than an enthusiast car that sees time at the track. the 1LE is NOT a race car, it is an enthusiast's track car.
nate.the.great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate.the.great View Post
you're describing a race car, which is very different than an enthusiast car that sees time at the track. the 1LE is NOT a race car, it is an enthusiast's track car.
I'm not describing a race car... he was
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
This is such a useless thread.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #7
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
It does scoot around a track, you cannot deny. Remember when they ran 800hp old school track car "Big red" against the '15 z/28 and Big red couldn't finish the event? Pepperidge Farms remembers.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
This is such a useless thread.
I agree. OP seems to be looking to start a mud sling fest about definition semantics.

1LE is a track-day package for a muscle car.

A Lotus 3-Eleven is a track car, but you also can't put a license plate on it. A Stohr WF1 is a race car, and for most tracks its too quick to be a useful track car at an open track day or HPDE. A Spec Miata is a race car that can also have a license plate, but it's fairly dog slow. So what? Did the OP have a real point?
Old 03-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #9
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzer View Post
I really enjoy my 1LE, that is why I purchase it, but to call it a "track car" sorry, it is not, it is unnecessary heavy.

Millennials - You think the 1LE is a track car? Love to hear why.
Spoken like someone who has not driven it on track. I'm a millennial, and would not say the 1LE is a "track car" nor would I say a GT4 or a GT3 is a "track car". I'd say they are street cars that are insanely competent and capable on track. Yes, the 1LE is a heavy car, but it can keep up with many/most purpose built track cars on track, then take you home in a/c listening to your satellite radio.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Found a pic of OP
Attached Images

WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
I agree with Nate; you're thinking of a race car. I am no baby boomer or a millenial but I have to say GM cars came a long way in terms of performance. Otherwise, it wouldn't be able to beat or match other "track" cars' lap times at "track" which ultimately makes it a great track car while still being a great commuter car.

That doesn't mean there is no room for improvement, though. Once you remove all those amenities it makes it "track only" car. I've had a couple of those but I will most likely enjoy being able to better my lap times and still be able to use all the technologies and comfort you mentioned it's a win win in my book
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #12
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Chevy expresses it as "track-capable"...get your facts straight.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #13
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Useless thread is useless.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #14
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Tell that to Randy Pobst...

Last edited by pbsinternet1le; 03-07-2017 at 07:31 PM.
pbsinternet1le is offline   Reply With Quote