The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 10-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
GreenC7Z-51

Drives: '04 C5 Z06 Le Mans, '14 C7 Z51
Break-in trip 2270 miles Atlanta-Arizona

Well I've arrived in Arizona on the first leg of my trip. Today I'm at my local dealer for a first oil change just to be sure nothing was present in the engine that got missed. In manufacture. Later today I head to LA for the weekend, then back to AZ.

I encountered one small problem on my trip... The DIF. Cooler developed a slow leak on one of the fittings. I topped off the dif at one dealer in lake Charles, LA., and drove to Capitol Chevrolet in Austin for the repair, and a wash. The got me going in a couple of hours and were just great!

I love this car! It is such an improvement over my others I don't know where to start in sharing my experience.

The biggest problem will be keeping my speed down on public roads, I will have to track this car regularly to get my Ya-Yas on.

I read some where on the forum one buyer drove home 600 miles from his dealer on ECO mode! My suggestion is DON'T do this!
My car will only be run in Eco if I'm sure I don't have gas to get to the next fuel.
GreenC7Z-51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Awesome and glad your road trip isn't too bad... be safe & enjoy! Congrats!

Post scenic pics with the C7 when you have time.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
RichmondC7

Drives: C5
How comfortable was the highway ride compared to others you've owned?
RichmondC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
GreenC7Z-51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondC7 View Post
How comfortable was the highway ride compared to others you've owned?
I drove my '04 Z06 to Monterey from Arizona for the Motorsport reunion and it was a week before I could walk right.
I'm now in LA after driving from Atlanta 3000+ miles and I feel great!
They have outdone themselves!
Old 10-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Miss Scarlet

Drives: '64 Singray, '14 C7 (CRT, Z51 , 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenC7Z-51 View Post

I encountered one small problem on my trip... The DIF. Cooler developed a slow leak on one of the fittings. I topped off the dif at one dealer in lake Charles, LA., and drove to Capitol Chevrolet in Austin for the repair, and a wash.

I'd like to know how you determined how you had a leak ? I know first hand from a friend who had problems with his differential. Seems something that bears watching.
Miss Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
GreenC7Z-51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
I'd like to know how you determined how you had a leak ? I know first hand from a friend who had problems with his differential. Seems something that bears watching.
It's important on any new car to look it over during the break-in. I like to do longer trips for several reasons. Stop start city driving is harder on the engine than a long drive. Longer runs at higher speeds will reveal a leak quicker due to the air currents around the car. Drive the first 50-75 mi. Then stop and go over the car, look at the back for any oil, this is where it will show up first. If you see excess oil on the back of the car you need to look for a source. In my case all looked good for the first 200 miles, then at 400 while fueling I noticed a fine film on the rear panel. No source was evident at that point, but on the next stop at about 600 mi. I noticed more on the rear. I decided to get it put on a lift and find the problem.
The Coolers for Trans. & Dif. are behind the rear tires on both sides, the passenger side is the dif, and that's where we found the most. It turned out to be a fitting on the cooler, perhaps a pinched 0 ring, but they changed the entire fitting.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
jsvette

Drives: C7, XTS, Porsche, C70
Quote:
It's important on any new car to look it over during the break-in. I like to do longer trips for several reasons. Stop start city driving is harder on the engine than a long drive. Longer runs at higher speeds will reveal a leak quicker due to the air currents around the car. Drive the first 50-75 mi. Then stop and go over the car, look at the back for any oil, this is where it will show up first. If you see excess oil on the back of the car you need to look for a source. In my case all looked good for the first 200 miles, then at 400 while fueling I noticed a fine film on the rear panel. No source was evident at that point, but on the next stop at about 600 mi. I noticed more on the rear. I decided to get it put on a lift and find the problem.
The Coolers for Trans. & Dif. are behind the rear tires on both sides, the passenger side is the dif, and that's where we found the most. It turned out to be a fitting on the cooler, perhaps a pinched 0 ring, but they changed the entire fitting.
Great advice!
jsvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Miss Scarlet

Drives: '64 Singray, '14 C7 (CRT, Z51 , 3LT
Quote:

Thanks!!
Miss Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Corvette7Tuning

Drives: 2014 corvette stingray
nice break-in journey! must have been a nice drive!

www.Corvette7Tuning.com
Corvette7Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
GreenC7Z-51

Wink Break-in trip

This trip: Atlanta, Baton Rouge, Austin, Tucson, Sedona, Anaheim, Sedona.
The car was run mostly on open road at speed, I avoided use of Eco Mode, & 7th gear, keeping Rev's between 1800-4000 for the first 1500 Mi. After that... Not so much!
Trip A: 3250.8
Avg. Fuel Econ: 22.7
Avg. Speed 60 mph
Fuel Used: 142.1 Gal.
Engine Hours: 54.2
Lifetime Revs x 10,000: 619 R's

The front clearance on this car is perfect! Never once did the front contact the ground. I've passed through construction zones, over railroad tracks and speed bumps, also over sharp down hill drives with flat landings. A great improvement over my C5! And best of all, I can still walk...