Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
geekoffilm
Kjern

Drives: 17 Camaro SS (RIP 7/2/19), 17 A4
Camaro Splash Guard Removal - Please Help

Hey guys,

This is my first post on the forum, though I've been reading threads here for some time.

Anyway, the Camaro has been my favourite car for years, and I have been in the market for a used one for a while now. I may have finally found one (no guarantees yet) that I like for the most part. However, one thing that's bothering me is the presence of splash guards. The car already has the splash guards installed, and I'm not sure if I like the look of them. I'm sure they would be easy enough to remove, but as I understand it, the rear ones are bolted on to the bottom of the car. So, were I to remove them, they would leave large holes exposed at the bottom.

I was wondering what you guys think about this. Has anyone removed their splashguards and just put up with the holes from the bolts? If so, are they noticeable. Also, are there any subtle alternatives to cover up that part of the car?

Sorry if this seems like a petty issue, but I'd really like to know. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick.
geekoffilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Are they the stock splash guards? I have the ones from RPI and they use the stock holes. I don't know if the factory/dealer installed ones use the factory holes.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
I removed the splash guards from my SS, before I traded it in, because they wouldn't stay on properly. I upgraded the fronts to the RPI Designs front splashguards and I went with the ZL1 rear splash guards. For the holes, I just reused the large push fasteners that hold the original rear splashguards to fill in the holes. It wasn't very noticeable unless you looked right at it.
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Mels RS

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS Vert
If it's just bolt holes, why can't you remove the guards and replace the bolts?
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
Mels RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
I would be surprised if there were additional holes than the stock locations for the screws already in the wheel wells. I think you can just remove them and replace the screws where they came out and be fine.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
if i were you, i would keep the splash guards. you might not like them there, but you might not the rock chips that you are going to get on your gills if you remove those things. just my 2 cents. this is not my car, but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Eldnearb
Chevy for life...

Drives: 2011 RS/2SS Black
Send a message via MSN to Eldnearb Send a message via Yahoo to Eldnearb
i installed them on my Camaro. As I recall the fronts fit in the existing holes. the backs needed a new hole drilled but it is under the bottom edge and barely visible. I would just fill it with a push in plastic bolt cover and you would never know the difference.
Eldnearb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
geekoffilm
Kjern

Thanks for the great insight/advice guys. Hearing that the holes aren't noticeable makes me feel a lot better.

Jalberdi99, thanks for the advice. We're I to get this maro I might even consider leaving the splash guards on to avoid stone chips. I'm just happy knowing that if they really bothered me, I could remove them.

If you guys have anything else to add, please feel free!

Thanks guys.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
kenw

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LT
I bought mine from RPI. They are GM parts. I had to drill one hole in the front wheel well for a push pin. I had to drill a hole in the bottom of all four for a small screw.

CAI/VTC/Factory Gauges/BMR Strut Tower Brace/19" Avrus AV12 Wheels/Pirelli P-Zero Tires/RPI Designs Splash Guards/MRT V2.0 Axle Back/Vmax Ported Throttle Body/Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer/Overkill tune/Phastek X5 1" lowering springs/Overkill Supercharger
kenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #10
CruzinQueen

Drives: 2017 1LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalberdi99 View Post
if i were you, i would keep the splash guards. you might not like them there, but you might not the rock chips that you are going to get on your gills if you remove those things. just my 2 cents. this is not my car, but you get the idea.

I drive mine in the winter and so far no serious issues with rock chips on the gill areas. I have a few but I am guessing with over 16k now in the clock I'd have many more. I love the look of them, they make the car look lower to the ground and more muscular.
CruzinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #11
geekoffilm
Kjern

Thanks again for all the advice, guys.

Another question I have is regarding the stripes and spoiler. The car is a 2011 non-RS (if I get it, I'd likely get HID's and such later on), and it has rally stripes. He installed the lip spoiler after the fact, so the rally stripes that are on there currently go underneath it. Are there extensions that one can by to put on the spoiler?
Old 06-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #12
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekoffilm View Post
Thanks again for all the advice, guys.

Another question I have is regarding the stripes and spoiler. The car is a 2011 non-RS (if I get it, I'd likely get HID's and such later on), and it has rally stripes. He installed the lip spoiler after the fact, so the rally stripes that are on there currently go underneath it. Are there extensions that one can by to put on the spoiler?
I would call Big Worm Graphix in Fort Worth. I bet they can get you what you need for the stripes.

SigPic by Hazman
Old 06-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #13
geekoffilm
Kjern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon War Horse View Post
I would call Big Worm Graphix in Fort Worth. I bet they can get you what you need for the stripes.
Do you think they'd be able to help me out despite the fact that I live in Canada?
Old 06-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #14
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekoffilm View Post
Do you think they'd be able to help me out despite the fact that I live in Canada?
I am pretty sure they can ship anywhere. I would email or call them. They are great to deal with. They did my tails and can do just about anything really.

SigPic by Hazman