Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #29
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I think the most relevant point made so far is figuring out what conditions those summer tires will be encountering. That could be a problem.
If you learned to drive stick at some point you will be good enough to get the ZL-1 there, unless you hit a lot of stop-n-go traffic which will try your patience. Even on the highway one accident can turn 80 mph into a 4 mph crawl. it also can turn a 19 hr drive into 21 hrs just like that.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #30
AmazinglySmooth

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I'm no expert on manual driving, but I have driven manuals as daily-drivers for years. My Camaro SS 1LE has hill-assist and rev-matching. Both make it so easy to drive. The main thing (as mentioned) is to get starting in 1st. The clutch is very forgiving as long as you release it with ease. When cold, the manual can feel tight, but it warms up quickly.
AmazinglySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #31
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwon View Post
That would suck, especially if it still has the summer only tires on it...
As long as Traction Control is on chances are slim losing it. I spin my tires in 3 gear goosing the throttle at highway speeds, the tail in slips out but T/C puts it right back where it belongs. Turn off T/C and you are in a world of trouble. Just pray you don't accidently hit the T/C button and turn it off.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #32
ctrlz

Parts of Ohio are forecast to get heavy rain Tuesday, followed by freezing conditions Wednesday. I think you may just miss out on the fun. Should be a nice salty ride out of Ohio. I would wash the car after you get to texas.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #33
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljc View Post
I flew from Houston to Toledo, Ohio last year after giving thought to driving...but on the road for 16-19 hours is very exhausting. Learning that car on the "fly" will not really be an issue, but driver's fatigue is the most important factor. No matter how experienced or inexperienced we are, dozing off or getting tired while driving is THE biggest concern that I would have. Not only is the condition of the car on the line, but your own life and safety is as well. Personally I'd back out, but I wish you well if you proceed.
Yeah, that is a bit of a concern for me given some of my time will also be tallied in the flight to Ohio.

I regularly drive between Austin TX and Atlanta GA (did about 6 - 7 times last year) and it ranges between 14 to 17 hours depending on the route I choose, traffic, and other variables. So far I've only had to stop for rest on that drive one time and it was because I couldn't get any sleep the night before.

My absolute maximum I've done was about 52 Hours non-stop and that was from Atlanta GA to Seattle WA but that was also a very special occurance which I will never do again.

Fully rested on average I can probably go a full 24 hours without needing to worry about fatigue or rest...On average when I drove from Atlanta to Los Angeles or San Francisco, I could make it to about Flagstaff Arizona before needing rest...however...the stick may change that a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I think the most relevant point made so far is figuring out what conditions those summer tires will be encountering. That could be a problem.
If you learned to drive stick at some point you will be good enough to get the ZL-1 there, unless you hit a lot of stop-n-go traffic which will try your patience. Even on the highway one accident can turn 80 mph into a 4 mph crawl. it also can turn a 19 hr drive into 21 hrs just like that.
Yeah I was also concerned about that. Stop and go will definitely not be fun. I was going to leave before Rush Hour intentfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
As long as Traction Control is on chances are slim losing it. I spin my tires in 3 gear goosing the throttle at highway speeds, the tail in slips out but T/C puts it right back where it belongs. Turn off T/C and you are in a world of trouble. Just pray you don't accidently hit the T/C button and turn it off.
Hehe, thats when it gets fun!

Nah I'm kidding, I definitely won't be disengaging the TC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Parts of Ohio are forecast to get heavy rain Tuesday, followed by freezing conditions Wednesday. I think you may just miss out on the fun. Should be a nice salty ride out of Ohio. I would wash the car after you get to texas.
How will Columbus be say Wednesday around 1am? I'm supposed to be arriving then, debating if I will just get a hotel and wait till sunrise or just begin while traffic is light.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #34
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Hope there's paint protection on the front of the car for driving after the roads have been salted or sanded. If not, I'd use a roll or two of blue painters tape on the bumper and front of the fenders.

This could be a very costly trip for you after driving a ZL1, you may have to trade up for one.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #35
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Hope there's paint protection on the front of the car for driving after the roads have been salted or sanded. If not, I'd use a roll or two of blue painters tape on the bumper and front of the fenders.

This could be a very costly trip for you after driving a ZL1, you may have to trade up for one.

Yes, the painter's tape is a good idea on the front and behind the wheel wells on the fenders.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #36
ToneCapone

Drives: 2023 ZL1
I live in Ohio and I have vacation. I will gladly make both of your lives easier and take this job off of your hands ;-) Did I mention I own a manual SS

2023 ZL1 M6 Black
ToneCapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:50 AM   #37
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post

I'll be needing new tires in about a month. Have over 22k miles. And yes a 3rd gear pull can be dicey with TC off. Don't attempt that with TC off. Even with it on can be dicey but TC will save your ass every time. TC is an ass saver. Thank god for TC.

Last edited by Deputy Dog; 02-12-2019 at 12:51 AM. Reason: f
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #38
ljc

Drives: 2ss Nightfall Grey
Need4Camaro, consistent road trips like this? Wow, you're a trooper! I wish you well and hope that you're able to avoid any issues while taking such a long journey.
ljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #39
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
How will Columbus be say Wednesday around 1am? I'm supposed to be arriving then, debating if I will just get a hotel and wait till sunrise or just begin while traffic is light.
As of 9:30 am Tuesday the forecast for late Wednesday/early Thursday calls for cloudy skies, light wind, and temps hovering around freezing (29-31). Looks like rain is ending today. Temps will climb into the 40's by 10 am Thursday. Cloudy, but no rain/snow.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #40
ctrlz

Hate to double post, but THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!
DID YOU MAKE IT????
Old 02-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #41
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
he accidently made a wrong turn and now hes in california on a beach asking the ladies if they want a ride.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #42
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Hey guys sorry for the suspense.
I'm still alive.
This was an adventure to say the least...

So to start I did YouTube a few videos as to how to start from first gear (that was what I was most worried about) and how not to dump the clutch from a dig from a dead stop and that helped alot.

So here's how this went...
Wednesday:
3am - Left Austin and headed to Houston to beat rush hour
6am - arrived in Houston right as Rush Hour started and kind of had a little fun with another 6th Gen SS on U.S. 290 but he wanted to go a little faster than I wanted to. ( I was already doing 85 )
7am - parked my car at a friend of said friends house and they took me to the Airport.
1pm - Flew out of Houston to Miami (this is my first time ever flying.) ...holy crap Jetliners move out. Got to see all the towns I would pass through on I-10 on my trips to Atlanta from a bird's eye.
4pm - arrived in Miami and ate. Awaited connecting flight to Columbus OH
9pm - Left Miami on connecting flight to Columus OH
11pm - arrived in Columbus OH.. Contacted Lyft and got transported to the car.

It was in the teens in Columbus but thankfully it rained the day before and there was no snow or ice present. I knew the car had been sitting awhile so I asked Lyft to wait before leaving just incase the battery was dead... It cranked up a little slow but it was fine after that.

Brake, Clutch, Reverse, Release Parking Brake, Slowly release clutch until I feel it start to grab and it felt pretty obvious where that happened... and gently she rolled back...

...Brake, Clutch, 1st gear, slowly release clutch while gradually applying throttle ... slightly jerky but it got moving. It didn't spin or chirp thankfully..

Got it to the first intersection and it's about 12am so no traffic on the road but let off the clutch too quick and stalled it...restarted... slowly release and throttle... and to the first gas stop and filled it up...

I got on I-71 and after getting it from a dead stop shifting was pretty easy. Seldomly needed to go below 5th gear for acceleration. At first it was tricky (due to inexperience) to find gears but I figured out you pretty much just release the lever and 3rd and 4th are right there so dont have to hunt for it. I was a little worried about accidentally shifting into reverse but that gets locked out while moving.

I ended up having to go to Atlanta (they were okay with this) and I ended up parking in Knoxville at about 5am (I had been up since 3am the day before so I was too tired to go on)

Right now I'm in Atlanta with another 14 hour drive ahead of me tonight.

Everything was great until... ...I had to get it rolling from a hill with traffic right up my @$$ ... admittedly I panicked and stalled it trying not to roll back and had horns trumpeting...I eventually figured that out.

On the interstate that beast is a dream. I'm seeing and feeling how much different it is driving a stick vs autoshift automatics. I kind of want a stick now. So much flexibility as to how you want to distribute power.

I was playing with it when I was out alone...more to get a feel for gearing incase I needed to. Shifted 6th to 3rd.... ....whoa..... you just MELT into the seat.

I'm debating how I can convince my friend my SS is their ZL1 while I drive this beast back to Austin.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote