Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
camarocid

Drives: Chevy Truck
Mustang GT vs SS?

I realize the folks here might be a little biased but what are reasons, objectively, to consider looking at a mustang over a camaro?
camarocid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Here are two reviews that will help.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...ck-comparison/

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-coupes-page-4

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I cross shopped them. What are you looking for in your car?
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
do you want a pony logo on your car?

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
Koldunic

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I currently have a black/black 2016 Mustang GT with the Performance package.

Before that I had a white 2010 Mazda 2. Lol

The GT is so beautiful when clean and waxed. It handles really well. The ride is comfortable.

The exhaust note can’t compare with the Camaro (in my opinion of course). The manual transmission is average at best (Chinese made) but really easy to engage 1st gear (never stalled). Engaging 1st and shifting 1-2 and 2-3 makes a strange «*thud*» noise that is a feature according to my Dealer. That sound seems to be generalized.

The low-RPM torque suck big time. The engine comes alives only at 3500 RPM. It’s boring in cities unless you want to press the gas pedal a lot. My Mazda 2 feeled faster between 0-25 mph while under 2000 RPM.

Rear seats are almost useless. The trunk has space.

I don’t like the steering. Feel’s cheap.

I ordered a ZL1 and if it doesn’t pass Production Control I will order a SS 1LE.
I won’t order a 2018 GT or a GT350R.

But. If I had a lot of money. I would keep both cars because I like cars and I like my GT.
Koldunic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Lap times give bragging rights but they're not very important to me. I liked the steering feel and interior design of the Camaro more. The body motions are much better controlled. Rev match is a nice feature. And I have an SUV if I need to carry a lot of stuff.

For me the GT wasn't close and I liked almost every other car I drove more. 435i, E92 M3, W204 C63, WRX, 370 Nismo, G37, M2. It just has a numb imprecise feeling that I associate with old American cars.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Lap times give bragging rights but they're not very important to me. I liked the steering feel and interior design of the Camaro more. The body motions are much better controlled. Rev match is a nice feature.
Yep.

Everything about the Camaro spoke to me. I love the exterior and interior looks of the Camaro, I loved how the steering wheel felt in my hands, love how precise the car felt when driving it, love the sound and power of the LT1, loved the 6 speed manual( even though I ended up with the A8) and loved MRC.

Nothing about the Mustang GT spoke to me when I drove it in 2016. The looks were good( both exterior or interior), but preferred the Camaro, the steering wheel felt ok in my hands, the 5.0 sounded good, but that was piped into the cabin and open windows and it was very muted, how it drove was very blah even with the performance pack, steering felt numb, I hated the manual transmission, and yes the Mustang has better visibility/feeling of being roomier, but I actually like that cockpit feeling in the Camaro. The Mustang that grabs my attention is the GT350, but outside of my budget and can't find a dealer that would let me test drive one.

Don't take that as the 2015-2017 Mustang GT was trash or a bad car. It just never spoke to me. It just confirmed what I thought of the Mustang GT. It's a very good V8 cruiser that can be a little athletic around the corners. I was just looking for a more affordable Corvette and the Camaro SS was exactly that. The 'Vette was outside my budget, but the Camaro was within my budget.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
My87z28

Drives: 1987 Z28, 385cid, '16 Camaro 1SS
I cross shopped a '16 S550 Mustang GT, '16 challenger SRT 392, and '16 Camaro SS, all in 6spd manuals.

The mustang was comfortable inside, handled well, sounded great when you got higher in the rpms. It broke traction very, very easily. I did not like how it felt like a dog under 4000rpm. The clutch was a bit sloppy. For everyday, in town driving it felt slow. Once you got it above 4000rpm, it started to shine.

The challenger was by far the most comfortable, had plenty of room in it, didn't sound as good, handled decent, and had good torque. You cold feel the torque. It had good acceleration. It too broke traction very easily. The clutch and the shifter felt good. It did however drive like a heavy car, like so many mention.

The Camaro was the least comfortable inside, but still comfortable (I'm 6'3 290lbs). I have owned a few Camaros, I have always loved the fighter jet "cockpit" feel that they have all had. This seems to come from the high window lines, low seat, and tall dash. It's something that you either dig, or you don't. I did notice the visibility issues when trying to look over your shoulder into the next lane. However, if you set your mirrors appropriately, there is no actual blind spot. Most don't set their mirrors correctly. The back windshield is useless, except for seeing approaching traffic, you will not look out of it to back up. I do not find the "humps" on the dash to be obtrusive, critics seems too. Now as for performance. It handled the best, not even close, as if it was in a different class than the other two cars. The torque is instant, you do not have to make sure you are in the optimal gear to have decent acceleration. Between the decent summer only tires and the awesome chassis, it's surprisingly more difficult to break traction like in the other two cars. Even when you do break traction, the car is incredibly forgiving and almost seems to "right it's self". I guess this is the stabilitrac. The clutch is smooth and the shift, when warmed up, it awesome. It was by far my favorite car.

All cars I drove, I left all the "nannies" (traction control, stabilitrac) on. I will admit quickly that once you turn them off in the Camaro, it will brake traction any and every time you want, and for as long as you want. It does however seem to still be forgiving and not be all over the road if you do.

I will say that the new '18 S550 GT is said to have a much better torque feeling down low, the manual transmission is supposedly stronger, and the shifter has been improved. Those where most of my complaints with the S550 GT. If I were in the market for another sports car, I would certainly look into it. I'm still not sure it would sway me away from the Camaro. There's just something about that "cockpit" way of sitting that has had me for a long time.

'16 1SS 6M, black with jet black interior, split spoke gray machined faced wheels, and black front/rear bowtie emblems.
My87z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Both nice cars . I had a 2015 GT before my ZL1. I would have kept the Mustang if I could afford both
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #10
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Appearance:Eye of the beholder. My eye says Camaro, Mustang, Charger, Challenger. Your order may be different
Straight Line Performance: Camaro, Hellcat, Mustang
Handling, normal drive: Camaro, Mustang, Charger + Challenger
Handling, spirited driving: Camaro, Mustang, a whole bunch of other cars, Charger + Challenger
Seating, driver: Tie. Mustang wins for general comfort, Camaro wins for keeping me planted
Seating, frt pass: Charger + Challenger, Mustang, Camaro
Seating Rear:Charger + Challenger, Mustang, Camaro
Trunk:Charger + Challenger, Mustang, Camaro
Fuel Economy: Camaro, Mustang, Charger + Challenger
Sound: Mustang (especially GT350), Camaro, Charger + Challenger
Feature Content: Camaro, Charger + Challenger, Mustang (may move up for '18)

That's pretty much in order of priority for me.

One other thing, specific to my only wanting a convertible. Dodge products don't offer a convertible. The Camaro convertible has a power top that operates up to 30 mph, up and down, with a hard tonneau. Mustang convertible isn't even close to that level of functionality.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #11
BlackSovereign

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Black
Best way is to drive both honestly - no one on this forum will truly convince you to get one. Maybe things to look out for but at the end of the day, its your gut feeling behind the wheel that will tell you.

But unless you like killing bystanders get a Mustang.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #12
Koldunic

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Appearance:Eye of the beholder. My eye says Camaro, Mustang, Charger, Challenger. Your order may be different
Straight Line Performance: Camaro, Hellcat, Mustang
Handling, normal drive: Camaro, Mustang, Charger + Challenger
Handling, spirited driving: Camaro, Mustang, a whole bunch of other cars, Charger + Challenger
Seating, driver: Tie. Mustang wins for general comfort, Camaro wins for keeping me planted
Seating, frt pass: Charger + Challenger, Mustang, Camaro
Seating Rear:Charger + Challenger, Mustang, Camaro
Trunk:Charger + Challenger, Mustang, Camaro
Fuel Economy: Camaro, Mustang, Charger + Challenger
Sound: Mustang (especially GT350), Camaro, Charger + Challenger
Feature Content: Camaro, Charger + Challenger, Mustang (may move up for '18)

That's pretty much in order of priority for me.
I agree with almost everything. But the sound... really?? GT350 is probably my favorite but base GT is plain boring.

I know I know. It’s subjective.
Koldunic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #13
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSovereign View Post
Best way is to drive both honestly - no one on this forum will truly convince you to get one. Maybe things to look out for but at the end of the day, its your gut feeling behind the wheel that will tell you.

But unless you like killing bystanders get a Mustang.
Agreed.

No car is perfect and each have their strengths and weaknesses.
Having owned both SS and GT in manual and auto, here are my objective and subjective thoughts between the two:

Camaro SS:
Better (Alpha) chassis
Better handling
Better torque
Tremec>MT82, and has auto rev matching
Track ready(and track warrantied) out of the box, especially the 1LE
front AND rear brembos standard
higher max top speed
heated steering wheel (2ss)
HUD (2ss, 1le)
Better fuel economy
Sounds better

less driver visibility (not a problem for me but some don't like)
claustrophobic cabin to some
seats don't recline
less aftermarket support
small trunk opening
A8 reported flaky issues, slow responding paddle shifts

Mustang GT:
10 Speed auto now available
line lock standard
better visibility
much larger aftermarket
coyote better for supercharging

gutless low end torque
Long weird rectangle hood too look over while driving(not a fan)
limited back seat space but a little more than camaro
a little more practical
easier to see out of
MT82 not that great
rear hops around on bumpy turns
harder to manage when loss of traction occurs

:

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow

Last edited by L99BEN; 02-03-2018 at 07:16 PM.
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #14
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
Agreed.

No car is perfect and each have their strengths and weaknesses.
Having owned both SS and GT in manual and auto, here are my objective and subjective thoughts between the two:

Camaro SS:
Better (Alpha) chassis
Better handling
Better torque
Tremec>MT82, and has auto rev matching
Track ready(and track warrantied) out of the box, especially the 1LE
front AND rear brembos standard
higher max top speed
heated steering wheel (2ss)
HUD (2ss, 1le)
Better fuel economy

less driver visibility (not a problem for me but some don't like)
seats don't recline
less aftermarket support
small trunk opening

Mustang GT:
10 Speed auto
line lock standard
better visibility
much larger aftermarket
coyote better for supercharging

gutless low end torque
Long weird rectangle hood too look over while driving(not a fan)
limited back seat space but a little more than camaro
a little more practical
easier to see out of
rear hops around on bumpy turns
harder to manage when loss of traction occurs
the Brembo thing always annoyed me on my Mustang! It had beautiful 6 piston Brembo's on the front. Couldn't ford just have spent a couple more dollars to put a matching set on the rear?
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote