Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 12-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #1065
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
It would be in the discussion, but the HC and ZL1 both are going to finish ahead of it. Additionally, outside of a drag race....

The GT500 was pretty much junk...

For the lap time records at VIR, the GT500 finished 68th overall....40 spots behind the current GT350R....and literally less than 4 seconds ahead of a V6 1LE...

The car was beautiful, it was a beast in a straight line...but it was literally a joke in all other aspects of performance...
Yep. All that power but unable to control it. Look at the power to weight difference compared to lap time with the Z/28 that actually wasn’t really lighter.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #1066
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Yep. All that power but unable to control it. Look at the power to weight difference compared to lap time with the Z/28 that actually wasn’t really lighter.
WOW!!!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #1067
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
And less than 4 seconds ahead of the V6 1LE still means more than 3 seconds. That is an ass kicking it'll put on the V6 1LE. It isn't even close. The V6 1LE in it's most extreme performance can't even hold a candle to the GT500. Also, the GT500 DID beat the 5th Gen ZL1 and 5th Gen Z28 in a straight line and around a track. It's only problem was that the braking faded after sustained runs. But even at that point I don't think the ZL1 and/or Z28 were able to beat it. Sorry guys but the GT500 was a complete monster and Chevy did not have an answer for it (in the form of a Camaro) while it was in production. I have nothing but respect for that car!
Eh, a car with 300hp vs. a car with almost 700hp...and it gets beat by less than 4 seconds on a track. That's not really an ass whippin..... sorry, but it's not...

As for the GT500, the only thing it beat the Camaro's in was pure HP, same as the Hellcat has done.... GM has not looked to worry about pure HP, but on overall performance....where they continue to be #1..

Quote:
That was pretty much the point of my comments about the GT500. In a straight line, it was the Hellcat before the Hellcat. The minute you ask it to corner though for more than a single lap?
Old 12-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #1068
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Oh no...am I becoming a troll? LOL!!

Just kidding. But yea the GT500 was an impressive car. That is one car that Ford actually puts effort into making it impressive. The upcoming one will likewise be impressive. But Ford needs to throw an auto trans in it already. Even with 750 HP I doubt it'll beat an A10 ZL1 in a straight line. It'll probably just edge out the M6 ZL1 tho. And I'm sure it'll beat the ZL1 around a track. Not sure it'll beat the ZL1 1LE around a track tho. Although it is late to the party by a few years we can expect to have a fight on our hands...and it'll be about damn time.
I'm simply expecting a blown 5.2 dropped into the GT350 setup...with perhaps a full set of Brembos (front/back).

Beyond that, I'm not really expecting much more out of Ford....MAYBE the A10...
Old 12-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #1069
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I think his comments were based on stock cars, we ALL know you can modify a car and make it better.

In stock form, compared to cars of today, it is junk on the track.
pads and a fluid change is standard fair for pretty much anyone who tracks a car regularly. other than those two items no other factory parts need be changed to have a capable track car.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #1070
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
pads and a fluid change is standard fair for pretty much anyone who tracks a car regularly. other than those two items no other factory parts need be changed to have a capable track car.
"Capable" is relative. It will take more than pads to bring it line with 6th Gen cars on the track.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:28 PM   #1071
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
"Capable" is relative. It will take more than pads to bring it line with 6th Gen cars on the track.
Ford hasn’t shown that they’ve learned (PP level 2 with no track cooling) so there is no guarantee that the GT500 will be complete. maybe they’ll have an R package so the standard 500 can be weak sauce at the track like the original base GT350.

Never underestimate Ford’s potential to under deliver and thier customers willingness to fix it. ...and what will it weigh? Gen5 ZL1 weight would be a good guess!

@ BlaqWhole. In the gen5 H2H, Motor Trend found the GT500 to be very unlivable (cattle car) that posted a better first lap by virtue of a drag race on the straights. After the first lap they could smell the cooked brakes and it was all downhill from there.

Look at the 2014 Z/28 vs GT500 chart above. Imagine a gen5 ZL1 with that power to weight and ask yourself which car is easier and cheaper to “mod” to shore up the deficiency.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:43 PM   #1072
germanicus

Drives: Pony Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
I'm simply expecting a blown 5.2 dropped into the GT350 setup...with perhaps a full set of Brembos (front/back).

Beyond that, I'm not really expecting much more out of Ford....MAYBE the A10...
Motor is also CPC, not flat.
germanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #1073
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanicus View Post
Motor is also CPC, not flat.
I'm very excited about this engine. Love the Voodoo, but can't wait to hear the CPC version. Hoping they release it as a N/A variant one day too.

I really love Ford's engines, IMHO, they are the most attractive engines in the price point.

I loved my cammed LS3, and am sure I would feel the same about the LT1. Hard to beat the joy you get daily driving a torque monster like that. Its perfect for enjoying power within the speed limit.

That said, after owning my S65, the insane thrill of the top end of a high revving engine is intoxicating and something I will always need in my garage now!!!

The new Coyote revs to 7400 now right? Very good!
Old 12-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #1074
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
After all these years, my signature is relevant again!

Rejoice!
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #1075
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
The 5.2 CPC has been powering the GT4 Mustang since the GT350-RC's were retired? replaced?...something

It's apparently a very stout motor, making well over 550 HP in race form.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:35 PM   #1076
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
@ BlaqWhole. In the gen5 H2H, Motor Trend found the GT500 to be very unlivable (cattle car) that posted a better first lap by virtue of a drag race on the straights. After the first lap they could smell the cooked brakes and it was all downhill from there.
Yea, from looking at that chart I guess my info was way off. Perhaps I got my Shelbys mixed up and was thinking the GT500 was beating the Z28 and ZL1 when it was really the GT350R. Oh well. My bad. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I agree the Cobra Jet doesn't belong in the conversation, the op was reaching. That being said it shouldn't be long before a more powerful Mustang is offered at or near 800-hp
Thanks. I have no idea why he brought up the CJ. And agreed about a more powerful Mustang. But I would say more like 725-750.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
After all these years, my signature is relevant again!

Rejoice!
Well almost. The GT500 will outcorner a Hellcat and Demon and keep up with the HC in the quarter stock for stock. LOL!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:59 PM   #1077
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Yea, from looking at that chart I guess my info was way off. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks. I have no idea why he brought up the CJ. And agreed about a more powerful Mustang. But I would say more like 725-750.

Well almost. The GT500 will outcorner a Hellcat and Demon and keep up with the HC in the quarter stock for stock. LOL!!
Old 12-29-2017, 08:29 PM   #1078
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
And changing warped rotors every race day. Ford rotors are shit, my biggest complaint, and cause to hesitate for a 2019 explorer
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote