Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #113
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownster View Post
I am not an engineer but common sense tells me that a coupler with give would relate to reduced stress downstream.

Is the Ford blower the same as the ZL1's?

Perhaps GM engineers didn't feel the need to reference that as a reason.

You may be right,it might not matter.

Maybe someone with a blower failure can weigh in.
I'll say it again.

ZL1 => 100,000 mile powertrain warranty

GT500 => 60,000 mile powertrain warranty

Both companies stress test the crap out of the powertrain so the question is, what isn't Ford telling you? Are you buying a new supercharger ($2000 for the ZL1s) at 60k on the ford because they use a solid isolator?

There is one simple reason to not change it to a solid coupler. GM is willing to give you a 100k warranty on your supercharger with the spring loaded one, none of the people offering to sell you a solid coupler are offering you any warranty. Seems like a no brainer.

This is like the catch can thread. Way too much religion, not enough science.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #114
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownster View Post
If I was going to lose my warranty due to a pulley swap I would keep the spring type because you would be putting even more stress on the expensive blower.
Has the blower been tested for higher more stressful speeds?
My 02.
...yes, it has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
For the same reason they replace the entire exhaust and not just the mufflers when the packing comes out.
...true, they do a R&R.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #115
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post

NONE of those look like documented cases of a supercharger failure caused by using the solid coupler ....So I'll continue to wait for your proof that using a solid coupler on the LSA Supercharger will cause a problem down the line.

You have 4 years of people using them just on the LSA engine alone.....so if you're correct then why are you struggling to find a single documented case?

Don't worry though I have plenty of time so I'll let you keep searching whilst I just wait here
You keep waiting. I don't owe you anything. You are too ignorant to learn "How it works" but you think I owe it to you to tell you "when it broke". Screw you and your supercharger. You'll learn one day. Hopefully sooner than later.

As far as most everyone else here with an actually measurable intellect, they see the writing on the wall. The posts of other members are reflecting what I was trying to achieve.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #116
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
You keep waiting. I don't owe you anything. You are too ignorant to learn "How it works" but you think I owe it to you to tell you "when it broke". Screw you and your supercharger. You'll learn one day. Hopefully sooner than later.

As far as most everyone else here with an actually measurable intellect, they see the writing on the wall. The posts of other members are reflecting what I was trying to achieve.
In other words, you don't have any proof that using the Solid Isolator will lead to problems with the Supercharger down the line in this specific application/configuration.

That's what I thought.

And it explains why pretty much ALL well respected shops swap out to this coupler, first with the CTS-V and now with the ZL1 when performing the pulley upgrade - it solves a known issue, and there are no reports of any adverse affect from using it.

Let's not forget, at no point was I arguing that the stock spring coupler doesn't do it's job, it does, it just does it with an annoying rattle, a rattle that the solid coupler does not have, and hence the reason for the swap.

I enjoyed the debate though, so until next time..

Old 08-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #117
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Quote:
In other words, you don't have any proof that using the Solid Isolator will lead to problems with the Supercharger down the line.

That's what I thought.

And it explains why pretty much ALL well respected shops swap out to this coupler, first with the CTS-V and now with the ZL1.

Let's not forget, at no point was I arguing that the stock spring coupler doesn't do it's job, it does, it just does it with an annoying rattle, a rattle that the solid coupler does not have, and hence the reason for the swap.

I enjoyed the debate though, so until next time..

Proof of what? You came up with your own little debate in the middle of this whole thing. But go ahead and strut around victoriously. The rest of us know what just happened here.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #118
LS1 Fun

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
And it explains why pretty much ALL well respected shops swap out to this coupler, first with the CTS-V and now with the ZL1 when performing the pulley upgrade - it solves a known issue, and there are no reports of any adverse affect from using it.
There was no issue in the first place!!! My opinion - the CTSV guys just complained enough about it to the point that all the "respected" speed shops figured out a way to make more money off them! No disrespect to anyone, but most of the v guys I know have more $$$ than intelligence and don't even work on their own cars!!
2017 Lexus GS350F
LS1 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #119
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1 Fun View Post
There was no issue in the first place!!! My opinion - the CTSV guys just complained enough about it to the point that all the "respected" speed shops figured out a way to make more money off them! No disrespect to anyone, but most of the v guys I know have more $$$ than intelligence and don't even work on their own cars!!
New Coke Syndrome. When Coca-Cola introduced its new formula, people went bat-shit crazy complaining. However in blind taste tests, the majority preference was for the new formula. But people wanted to buy the old formula so Coca Cola brought it back. When Coca-Cola released its "Classic Coke" formula, sales of the old formula far exceeded what they had been before the new formula was even announced.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #120
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1 Fun View Post
There is ABSOLUTELY an issue....the rattle.

Several people with ZL1's have had entire superchargers replaced because of it.

There is a TSB because of it.

Are you saying you would be happy and put up with your car sounding like this... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=310092&page=4

That was posted just the other day and it is 4 pages of people agreeing that it sounds awful and needs to be changed....that's caused by the spring coupler.

So there IS an issue. It is not a mechanical issue that will lead to the car not working I agree, but that doesn't mean that it is not an issue.

And Silver...I see you have resorted to the insults again... ... but that's fine....that's obviously just the level you end up at when it doesn't go the way you want it to...

Old 08-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #121
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
New Coke Syndrome. When Coca-Cola introduced its new formula, people went bat-shit crazy complaining. However in blind taste tests, the majority preference was for the new formula. But people wanted to buy the old formula so Coca Cola brought it back. When Coca-Cola released its "Classic Coke" formula, sales of the old formula far exceeded what they had been before the new formula was even announced.
Pretty sure the rattle noise would still be there with eyes open AND closed. Heck, you could even face away from the engine and towards the engine just to throw a bit of variety in there.

And I'm not sure you'll find anybody that would swap back to the marbles in a can situation after they had got rid of it.

But nice story nonetheless

Old 08-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #122
LS1 Fun

Quote:

Are you saying you would be happy and put up with your car sounding like this... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=310092&page=4
I totally understand where you are coming from, but we'll all have to agree to disagree on this one. My car does sound like that and I am perfectly fine with it. After all, IT'S COMPLETELY NORMAL! It's just a noise!! That's how the engine is supposed to sound!! GM even confirmed this! I think someone else said it better earlier in this thread... some guys spend more time listening to their car idle than actually driving it for what it was designed for!!!!!
2017 Lexus GS350F
Old 08-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #123
LS1 Fun

Quote:

I think this has more to do with enough complaints about the sound and a lack of knowledge on the dealer's part. I have a feeling GM won't be replacing entire SC's much longer just because of a rattle noise that is completely normal.

edit - the TSB even says the noise is normal!!
2017 Lexus GS350F
Old 08-05-2013, 01:58 AM   #124
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Doesn't the TSB say if it rattles at over 1200 rpm and is loud enough to hear inside the car it gets replaced? I suspect that is a different rattle and probably due to incorrect tollerance between the rotors. I know that is what was described by a couple of ZR1 guys on the corvette forum.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:05 AM   #125
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Quote:

That was posted just the other day and it is 4 pages of people agreeing that it sounds awful and needs to be changed....that's caused by the spring coupler.

So there IS an issue. It is not a mechanical issue that will lead to the car not working I agree, but that doesn't mean that it is not an issue.
There is more then one kind of rattle. In that thread you will notice that Joe said his had a squaking noise. The ZR1 guys described it as a screech noise, but those started happening at very low miles. Not sure what Joe had going on that he got relatively high miles before it occured.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #126
sonic656

Drives: 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Why is there any argument over this? Why are people quoting Ford's warranty?
Its simple. If your ZL1 rattles and you hate it, change to a solid coupler. GM has already choose to go with the "its normal" answer. Which to their defense with the way its designed, is completely normal.
Its just annoying and sounds like crap.
sonic656 is offline   Reply With Quote